• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spice & Wolf Novel's J Cover Offered to Web Retailers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
Look, I know it wasn't a cover, but simply switching the format of Dragonball books from right to left reading, to left to right (American) reading, drastically increased the number of books sold. It was some experiment they did, and it made a huge difference.

So, you know, maybe a simple cover change WILL bring in a different audience. A more realistic drawing of Holo might have been better, though.

What volume of Yen Press's magazine is the cover in? I already pre-ordered the book through Diamond from my comic book store, so I can't order it online.
LKK

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
There's nothing really Japanese about the book itself, so there will probably be plenty of people who will pick up the book with the non-Anime cover who not only wouldn't have touched it otherwise but might not even figure out that it was Japanese in the first place.

The pages of interior manga-style illustrations will be an obvious clue as to the book's origins. If Yen Press's marketing execs hope to bring in potential readers with the new cover who might have otherwise been put off by the original manga-style cover art, they're also having to hope that those same potential readers don't flip inside the book and see the interior pictures before they buy the book.

PingSoni wrote:
The cover bound into Yen Plus has one fold in the front of the cover and one fold in the back. To have had the cover folded for insertion in other places would have required the cover to be printed on a larger sheet of paper and folded in three instead of two places, substantially increasing the cost. (The cover is 8 x 18 inches; how is an online seller going to deliver that? Are they going to fold the cover and put it on the book, or what?)

The article states that the dust jacket will be shipped flat.

Quote:
Retailers "who choose to participate in this offer will be shipped the flat (uncreased) jackets to make them available at no additional charge to anyone ordering copies of the novel through their sites."

KrisEllieOphi wrote:
What volume of Yen Press's magazine is the cover in? I already pre-ordered the book through Diamond from my comic book store, so I can't order it online.

The dust jacket is bound in the December issue of Yen Plus which is (should be) on the newstands now.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:

Quote:

I would rather that the book sold well so that we got the rest of the novels translated rather than getting the anime-style cover.

Sorry but no, I don't give money to companies that consider me so stupid that they have to change the cover to let me "understand" it.

you do realize that the alternate cover is not aimed at you, right? it's not that yen press considers the people going to buy this book "stupid", it is meant to catch the eye and interest of people who would shun the book for having a cartoon on the front. anyway, i don't want to fan the fire, so i'll leave it at that.

but i already bought the Yen+ issue yesterday, but i think i'll be satisfied. plus, i think yen press will learn from this outcry and do things differently when the second one is released, assuming enough people buy the first one.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:

you do realize that the alternate cover is not aimed at you, right? it's not that yen press considers the people going to buy this book "stupid", it is meant to catch the eye and interest of people who would shun the book for having a cartoon on the front. anyway, i don't want to fan the fire, so i'll leave it at that.

Not as an anime or manga fan, but as a general consumer. Yen Press is telling me I'm an idiot, a strange spieces that cannot stand a single picture, so they arbitrarily decided to change it for me. I find it insulting.

Quote:

but i already bought the Yen+ issue yesterday, but i think i'll be satisfied.

I do not live in the US, if the jacket isn't available to a decent online retailer I'm not going to bother.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:53 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
I do not live in the US, if the jacket isn't available to a decent online retailer I'm not going to bother.

I don't live in the US but I have the dust cover (courtesy of Yen Plus, which I picked up from my comic supplier today) without actually owning the novel so..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:16 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
It isn't, however, the cover the author wanted. And I repeat: this won't help sales. If I can't get the jacket, I won't buy it. Other companies already disgraced the format too much (Tokyopop, Seven Seas).
It will help sales, despite what you think. This will get more people who would dismiss it as generic anime to pick up the book and actually look at it which is 1 step toward getting them to buy it. This is the same thing as Haruhi: by putting it somewhere beside the manga/GN section, you stand a higher chance of it getting picked up by outside readers and thus being more successful. Everyone who wants the super authentic cover will be buying it via the internet.

Also, the author in most cases of novels doesn't decide on the cover.

Quote:

If people are so willing to put off a book based on the cover, well, perhaps there's no way of it to succeed.

The cover is what attracts the reader to even look at the book. If they see some animated character, they will keep walking.

Quote:
Did it ever work? Shana, Boogiepop, Kino failed miserably. What I don't like, is that this has to be done since the readers are considered so idiot that they cannot understand something different.

Shana, Boogiepop and Kino all used the original novel covers. One of the few novels that is still going, Haruhi, uses an alternate cover.

ximpalullaorg wrote:

Not as an anime or manga fan, but as a general consumer. Yen Press is telling me I'm an idiot, a strange spieces that cannot stand a single picture, so they arbitrarily decided to change it for me. I find it insulting.

This happens all the time with all other products. This is nothing new. Pictures are toned down and altered all the time. And no, this is saying that the original art would not have caught your eye even thought you would be interested in the book. You really don't understand how important a cover is in selling a non-famous book.
TC-man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
If you ask me why the change of heart? Well, I think Yen Press' plan to attract more audience/readers didn't work out after all. Maybe just a few non-fans have order the light novels and the fans who want the cover and bought the magazine are in the minority. So this just may be the rescue plan to catch the dedicated fans' attention again with "we give you the original cover after all and this time for free". It was really nice of Yen Press to let the fans to get the original cover, but it's a slap for those who are willing to pay for the cover but not the magazine in the first place. The second slap is the crease in the middle of the cover. Well if Yen Press find it too expensive to fold it in a correct manner, then don't do it at all. The third slap is that the late buyers now can get the cover for free and that without the crease and the people who bought the magazine for the cover has to pay for it, well the crease is for free.

Don't get me wrong, Yen Press is still one of the better companies that bring manga, light novels to the western market, and I find Yen Press' choice of titles (whether it's manga or light novel) to be quite good. But again it was better if YP has given people the choice in the forms of a paperback version of the light novel (with the "nude" cover) and the limited hardcover special edition with the original cover which of course costs much more, maybe including a special gift that resembles that little sack with wheat which Holo/Horo carries around her neck (see the original cover illustrated by Jū Ayakura). Well, just a thought.

As for the people who can not get the cover (the special offer of the cover is limited after all), you can go to Yen Press' site and there you can find the example of the dust cover of the first volume of Spice & Wolf; it seems that the scale of this example is 1:1 (correct me if I am wrong about the size). So you can print it out yourself, although the quality of the example is not that great, it's better than nothing.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I think the major factor in sales with the new cover is where it is shelved. If, like all light novels where I live, the book is shelved with the manga, American-style fantasy cover or not, only otaku will read it. If, however, Yen Press insists on it being shelved with the YA or fantasy novels, I think that the new cover paired with the recent popularity of werewolves will increase the chances of higher sales.

And I should stop myself from adding this, but I'm feeling reckless tonight: If the company is being kind enough to cater to the more rabid fan by printing an extra, Japanese-style cover at extra cost to them and none to you, why complain? How many of your books remain in utterly perfect, pristine condition with totally unmarred covers after you've read them? Is a crease in a paperback novel that big a deal? This isn't a first edition of Jane Eyre we're talking about.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

It will help sales, despite what you think. This will get more people who would dismiss it as generic anime to pick up the book and actually look at it which is 1 step toward getting them to buy it.

As someone else said, this won't prevent people by flipping the book, seeing the anime art that makes (wrongly) so angry and put it back in the stand.

Quote:

The cover is what attracts the reader to even look at the book. If they see some animated character, they will keep walking.

If they're acting so dumb, again, there's no way a light novel would succeed.

Quote:

Shana, Boogiepop and Kino all used the original novel covers. One of the few novels that is still going, Haruhi, uses an alternate cover.

Kino was altered to suit non-Japanese tastes (the horrible reshuffle of the chapters), Shana had content cut for the same reasons. THey both bombed.

Quote:

This happens all the time with all other products. This is nothing new. Pictures are toned down and altered all the time. And no, this is saying that the original art would not have caught your eye even thought you would be interested in the book. You really don't understand how important a cover is in selling a non-famous book.

So you're assuming I should be happy a product gets butchered on the cover so they can sell more, since they cannot afford marketing? Sorry, but I'm not buying the excuse. And if they're willing to change the cover, who knows what they can do with the actual text.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

And I should stop myself from adding this, but I'm feeling reckless tonight: If the company is being kind enough to cater to the more rabid fan by printing an extra, Japanese-style cover at extra cost to them and none to you, why complain?

Simple, they shouldn't have done this to begin with.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:

Simple, they shouldn't have done this to begin with.

Ok, but why is it wrong for them to try and make more money, which can then be spent on more licenses and perhaps better marketing? Is appealing to a wider demographic an act of evil on the part of a business?
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Yay! I don't really want an extra magazine that will eventually be torn apart by my brother, and I don't want a slipcover with an unwanted crease. This is good for me.

Maybe I can get my friends to read it. I mean, personal recomendations give a person more will to read something even with an anime cover instead of finding it while in a library with so many other choices. Bonus determination points if they don't look down on animation (Thank you, Grave of the Fireflies). Even more points if they like the original cover more than the new one. I mean, cute anime fox girl in non-sexual, old fashioned clothing versus a shadowed girl with fangs and a tail shadow (horribly made in my opinion).

Ah well. I guess the new cover was just so that they could hook people that aren't so okay with the visual style. Whatever helps.

Oh yeah. ximpalullaorg, Yen Press is still trying to (outwardly) care about fans. They could've appealed to wider audiences by changing names, not doing this slipcover at all, changing content, and whatever else other companies do.

But "could've" doesn't matter. Let's look at it this way:

The cover is just an experiment. If it doesn't go well, the idea of having slipcovers of original covers would be trashed. If it does go well, then the idea of limited slipcovers will be kept. The option of producing limited hardcover editions of books would be used less frequently, saving some money in the process (those limited editions might run out reeaaaally slowly).

Personally, I don't like the idea of slipcovers. There's the possiblity of losing them (trust me, I can do that accidentally). It doesn't anger me too much though.

Now if only we could easily get some data regarding sales from any company. I like knowing how my little ba- I mean, favorite series is doing. Wink
TC-man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
And I should stop myself from adding this, but I'm feeling reckless tonight: If the company is being kind enough to cater to the more rabid fan by printing an extra, Japanese-style cover at extra cost to them and none to you, why complain? How many of your books remain in utterly perfect, pristine condition with totally unmarred covers after you've read them? Is a crease in a paperback novel that big a deal? This isn't a first edition of Jane Eyre we're talking about.

I respect your opinion, but the original cover is not an extra, it is the original one, also the style is not that Japanese at all, the art style is quite "neutral" to me. This is a light novel after all, the artworks inside the novel are intact, but the cover with the same art style is gone, that is breaking up the whole work to me. This is a light novel and not a novel, there is a difference. Also you are forgetting the fact that you have to pay for the cover which comes with the magazine. If you have paid for something you do want it untouched, don't you? The crease which is in the middle of the artwork becomes a problem if you have paid for it. It's more about "do they really care about their fans?"; Yen Press has repeated many times that YP does care about the fans. Although the crease in the middle of the cover/dust jacket does indicate the opposite.

Princess_Irene wrote:
Ok, but why is it wrong for them to try and make more money, which can then be spent on more licenses and perhaps better marketing? Is appealing to a wider demographic an act of evil on the part of a business?

It's not that they are wrong trying to make money, but I wish that they would do it in a fair and honest manner. Selling the cover via the magazine and indirectly trying to get more subscriptions for the magazine in a snicky way was not a very honest way of doing business in my opinion. Also selling the light novel by using the new cover is misleading, since that "nude" cover does not represent the contents of the light novel at all.

Also I want to clarify that light novels are not only for otakus, it is immensely popular in Japan among young people, teenagers, middle/high schoolers, most of them are not otakus.
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
TC-man wrote:
also the style is not that Japanese at all, the art style is quite "neutral" to me.

You're talking about the japanese illustrations right? There is nothing neutral about them, they are absolutely clearly manga styled. You could consider Yoshitaka Amano's style to be neutral, but really neutral is this: The new edition of 12 Kingdoms, they did in Japan to attract more readers without the manga covers they had before (and Akihiro Yamada's style doesn't even look that much like manga, much less than Ju Ayakura's for sure).

Quote:
This is a light novel and not a novel, there is a difference.

The definition of light novel is a lot less unambiguous than you make it sound.

Quote:
Also selling the light novel by using the new cover is misleading, since that "nude" cover does not represent the contents of the light novel at all.

I've said that many times already, but it's not like you don't see Holo running around naked all the time Wink So it's still representativ in a way ^^
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:04 am Reply with quote
darkhappy1 wrote:

Oh yeah. ximpalullaorg, Yen Press is still trying to (outwardly) care about fans. They could've appealed to wider audiences by changing names, not doing this slipcover at all, changing content, and whatever else other companies do.

Seven Seas said the same with the whole Boogiepop "exclusive" deal (that prevented me to get the novels for a full year) and the "relaunch" that butchered the order of the novels (and bombed nevertheless). And since this "changing for better" happened quite often where I live, well I don't trust their words. I could also point out that announcing the novel a year in advance wasn't a smart move.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3