• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sugar: A Little Snow Fairy DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
mouth-watering backgrounds based on an actual German village.

It's been quite some time since I watched this series and I still remember its setting.
AnimeDoll

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
I loved Sugar: A Little Snow Fairy.
I'm suprised to see a review for it though. I figured it was too obscure.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:46 am Reply with quote
Carlo wrote:
Overall (sub) : B-

So I sit through five bad episodes to get to "the good part", and despite that, the series still only garners a B-? I know it is an average between good and bad, but still, such a low overall score doesn't fill me with much hope . . .
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:49 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Carlo wrote:
Overall (sub) : B-

So I sit through five bad episodes to get to "the good part", and despite that, the series still only garners a B-? I know it is an average between good and bad, but still, such a low overall score doesn't fill me with much hope . . .

B- is "such a low" score? I think it's pretty good when he says almost half the episodes in this box suck.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:54 am Reply with quote
What should one think of a series where the ending sequence is the best part?

To be honest I did like first half of this series, but be warned - excessive filler with certain dumb plot twists could not escape this one either. And what's up with that meaningless play in episodes 9-12 with a "poor bear who plays piano... and dies in the end".

I guess what I am trying to say that cute shows aimed at children(I assume grade school) can be much better: Shugo Chara! is one, for example.

I wonder what kind of review second half of Sugar is going to get(assuming it's planned). There are worse and better parts so I think overall rating will remain the same.
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:22 am Reply with quote
A question for those who have watched the series. Would this work for a 7 year old who's into the whole 'Disney' fairy theme?

(Before anyone gets smart...no it's not for me!)

Trying to find something new and fun for my niece and this looks like it may fit the bill.
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:18 am Reply with quote
Bored_Ming wrote:
A question for those who have watched the series. Would this work for a 7 year old who's into the whole 'Disney' fairy theme?

I honestly think it'd be perfect for that. i.e. I can't imagine her not liking it ^^
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:

For what it's worth, my 3 year old son really loves Adventures of Mini-goddess. You also might want to check that title out too. (You can find it pretty cheaply because it was discontinued with other Geneon titles).
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote
Bored_Ming wrote:

(Before anyone gets smart...no it's not for me!)

Trying to find something new and fun for my niece and this looks like it may fit the bill.

Hey if you want to watch it too don't be ashamed. I did long ago and loved it. By long ago I mean a few years but since I'm 27 now it's not like I was a little kid. This is one of my favorite shows in terms of being great for little kids. I had my little cousins and my friend's younger sister watch this years ago as well. They all, male and female, loved it. I also let them watch Risky Safety as well which was a big hit too.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Saga is not some unwitting nymphet for creepy older men to drool over, and neither is she a wish-fulfilment vehicle for little girls who want to be idols or pastry chefs or surrounded by hot guys.

Is this a shot at the currently airing Yumeiro Pâtissière?

I own the singles from this show. I have a soft spot for cute shows like this, and found the documentary fascinating. Remember who this show is made for though - I loaned it to a friend whose daughter (I think she is 6) absolutely loved it. I didn't find the dub to be that bad, but then my preference leans toward dubs, so I might be biased.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I loved this show way more than I probably should've. It's certainly not a show I would admit to liking to anyone other than anime fans.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Dude, I not so vaguely remember having to send this back to Right Stuf Rolling Eyes In any case, it was one of the first Shoujo-ish comedies that I had seen(and liked)during the peak of my Shounen Tournament addiction -- after school, 3:00, infront of the T.V... TOONAMI, that's all I gotta say. Great to see it reviewed so positively, though. It really hit the mark of how I felt about it.
zrdb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Cheap animation? No more so than 90% of all the other anime out there-and anyway-this isn't an action fest-the style perlectly suites the story. I love this show-admittedly it has a very high cuteness quotient, the dub is actually quite good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1