• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Sekirei, Tetsuwan Birdy Decode & Decode:02

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Dear FUNi,

Blu-ray FMP and FMPF to go with your Blu-ray FMPTSR.

Thanks.
animeboy12

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:48 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

I know! Ecchi shows shouldn't be licensed! There are anime that are SO MUCH BETTER that DESERVE to be licensed (albeit Natsume Yuujinchou, 07-Ghost, Jungle Emperor Leo 2009 special, World Masterpiece Theater titles, Kamichama Karin, Nanatsuiro Drops, etc.)!!

Rolling Eyes

Translation: "WAH,WAH, The big anime companies aren't licensing shows I like. WAH WAH, It should only be about ME!"

oh and for the record
Natsume Yuujinchou(licensed)
World Masterpiece Theater titles, Not only has a good proportion of that stuff been released on America, But where is the audience in that?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
animeboy12 wrote:
FireChick wrote:

I know! Ecchi shows shouldn't be licensed! There are anime that are SO MUCH BETTER that DESERVE to be licensed (albeit Natsume Yuujinchou, 07-Ghost, Jungle Emperor Leo 2009 special, World Masterpiece Theater titles, Kamichama Karin, Nanatsuiro Drops, etc.)!!

Rolling Eyes

Translation: "WAH,WAH, The big anime companies aren't licensing shows I like. WAH WAH, It should only be about ME!"

oh and for the record

Uhhh no.

Crunchyroll having streams of it does not mean that the show has been licensed for distribution, lol.
bayoab

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:56 pm Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
-G, who thinks funi is a bit to close to a monopoly these days
If anyone else has a half million in free capital, they are free to try and start their own anime company. It's not like FUNi has a licensing lockdown in Japan. Other companies aren't getting titles because they don't have money.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Also, yes. Please FUNimation, license something for us that crave innovation and get Kaiba or Time of Eve, or both! Smile

Ahh yes, Time of Eve. I would think that would be pretty marketable, too, considering the nice title and premise. It's only 6 episodes long, too, to my knowledge. I wouldn't be surprised if it only got a sub release, but either way I would be buying it.

Otaku_X wrote:
Dear FUNi,

Blu-ray FMP and FMPF to go with your Blu-ray FMPTSR.

Thanks.

It says in the article that there will be a Blu-ray collection for FMP, and I believe that it implies there will also be one for FMPF. As for matching packaging, I think it would be safe to assume that's a given.

animeboy12 wrote:
oh and for the record

Um, I don't think so. I know that it's streaming on crunchyroll, but no company has picked it up for either distribution or dubbing. The MANGA has been licensed, but not the anime.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Hey, my friend was just telling me about Birdy the Mighty Decode the other day, this is good news for him and me.

I am hoping that because Funimation seems to listen to its fanbase sometimes and they are a dominating force in anime with a tendency to rescue and pick up strange things that they might be kind enough to rescue things like Utena and then pick up Kaiba. I think Syfy would probably be a good place to air Kaiba if you ask me (that way we can get a dub on it too for sure, although Funi seems to be dubbing most things).
animeboy12

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote
excuse me then, at the very least if your a fan you have free legal access to it.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Kaiba is a bit too... adult for Sci-Fi in my humble opinion Wink

Like with what happens in episode two... spoiler[The girl having sex with herself (literally) with the overload of pleasure that causes her to explode].

Last edited by Megiddo on Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:02 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I am hoping that because Funimation seems to listen to its fanbase sometimes and they are a dominating force in anime with a tendency to rescue and pick up strange things that they might be kind enough to rescue things like Utena and then pick up Kaiba. I think Syfy would probably be a good place to air Kaiba if you ask me (that way we can get a dub on it too for sure, although Funi seems to be dubbing most things).

I really could never see Kaiba getting on television. It's just so strange and even so much more different than all other anime on TV right now. And I've never heard to Funimation NOT dubbing one of their licenses, so if it got Kaiba I'd say we'd get a dub for sure.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Funimation!

I am really glad Birdy Decode got licensed. I really liked the first OVAs. I know the description sounds a bit lame, I was even skeptical the first time I watched it. But once I did watch it, it turned out to be much better than I had imagined. It's quite good in fact. If the sequel is even half as good then it should be worth the buy. And I was losing hope the Birdy Decode would not get licensed.

Thanks again Funi.

As for Sekirei, I have never even heard of it. But it looks like a win for big tit fanboys everywhere, so good for them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Me: "Hey wallet, what do you say about Tetsuwan Birdy Decode seasons coming out?"

Mr. Wallet: "Give me a date and it's on and poppin' yo."

Definitely excited about this. I finally sat down and watched the 'Kawajiri' OVAs awhile back and it was awesome. Let's just say it took me years to actually finish. Because at the time a friend brought it over on a bootleg VHS tape. Remember those days? So I never had the chance of finishing. So I bought the 'Kawajiri Spotlight' pack. So glad I did. Old-school kicka$$ animation. I've seen some of the new series and really wanted to finish. Looks like Mr. Wallet and I will be popping down the cash to see this reinvention of the series (that was never finished but FINALLY finished) through.

Oh and get that 'Shikabane Hime' out too. Mr. Wallet says he wants it ASAP. Razz

Last edited by Chrno2 on Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Sweeeeeet. Loved both Birdy seasons. Definitely picking them up on DVD.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Birdy: It's REAL slow picking up, but it seems it gets real good real fast in Decode.

Sekirei: you'd be surprised, but this is actually more then decent. The characters are all quite charming. The only thing I don't get is the giant boobs. They could use a shrinking.

FMP: no words need to be said
Eivion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see Birdy licensed, though I'm disappointed that it was Funimation who licensed. Sort of expected though.

Saw the first 2 or 3 episodes of Sekirei and never finished the series. Just didn't do anything for me.

I didn't even know that the old licenses on FMP ran out.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:
Happy to see Birdy licensed, though I'm disappointed that it was Funimation who licensed. Sort of expected though.

Wait, what?

Here's what happens when Funi gets a title:
-Sub fans are happy because they get subs
-Dub fans are happy because they get dubs
-They're going to be released in full sets (one set for season 1 and one for season 2)
-They'll eventually get BD releases

Here's what would've happened if other companies got it:
Bandai- Each season would've been split up with 6 episodes on one disc (4 releases in total) and the release dates would've been pushed back at least 3 times. Not to mention they'd be incredibly expensive and they have the Japanese breathing down their necks to prevent reverse-importation.

Section23/Sentai- They would've been sub-only with a ton of spelling errors.

Media Blasters- They would've been released in singles with a flimsy "designer box" that you can't even wipe your nose with.

So, Funimation seems like the best choice to me. I'm guessing, though, you have some deep-seeded hatred for who knows what reason. What's the cool thing to hate them for nowadays?

Last edited by The King of Harts on Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6