• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Starts Initiative for Co-Producing Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reibooi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it's going to fail because it's western by default. I have reasons why I think it's gonna fail. Let me explain.

Anime fans would rather have real anime and not US stuff turned into so called anime meaning they are not the target market.

What is the target market who think anything animation is for children unless it's something along the lines of Family Guy, American Dad or the Simpsons.

So in the end you could say that US produced anime is even more of a niche the normal anime already is.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So in the end you could say that US produced anime is even more of a niche the normal anime already is.

Yeah, becuase the Boondocks is so much more niche then Rozen Maiden. And Witchblade totally wasn't one of the most successful anime this year. Batman: Gotham Knight was also a total bomb. Yeah your deductions aren't 100 percent trash at all. Really, I'm not being sarcastic here. I promise.
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Automatic fail just because it's western? Are people on this site that prejudicial?

Also, stop bashing Witchblade. If you've bothered to see it, you would know it's not mindless fanservice.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Power Puff Girls Z? Where did that go?

Some deep, dark place, where it can be safely forgotten?
luhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
If this stuff is going to be more violent action fare along the lines of Witchblade or video game adaptations, I don't have much interest in it. It probably will sell in America though, so good for Funimation if they can make this work. You can't fault a company for trying to make money.

But I still want that second season of Ouran. Anime cry
Reibooi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:27 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, becuase the Boondocks is so much more niche then Rozen Maiden. And Witchblade totally wasn't one of the most successful anime this year. Batman: Gotham Knight was also a total bomb. Yeah your deductions aren't 100 percent trash at all. Really, I'm not being sarcastic here. I promise.

What are you talking about? I already said a few times Witchblade was great I loved it. But it was the EXCEPTION!!!. It's done great but if you think about it the show has so little in common with the original Witchblade stuff. It has a totally different story new characters and art style. Only real thing that's the same is the name and the mythos and even that is stretched a bit.

And hey I don't know anyone how has seen Rozen Maiden. But guess what I also don't know many people who have seen the Boondocks and those that have think it's retarded.(I like the show just fine. Not something I follow but I catch a episode every now and then).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget that this news comes at the time that a certain Japanese company that has been on good terms with FUNimation for some time is known to be in financial trouble. A company that has always been receptive to the west, not only producing titles based on Western properties and stories or with a clear eye for sale here but working directly with and for American companies and producers and producing music videos for Animerican bands.
I don't having think a few more titles like Witchblade, Afro Samurai, Batman and even G.I. Joe will really hurt the industry, especially if it provides income and frees up funds to work on home-grown stuff like, say, Strike Witches 2 as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
Anime fans would rather have real anime and not US stuff turned into so called anime meaning they are not the target market.

Speak for yourself. I could give a flying weasel if it's based off a "US" idea or not. If it's entertaining then it works for me.

And I'm one of those people who appreciate Afro Samurai. In my opinion it had nice music, animation, actors/actresses, and the fight scenes were intense. I'll admit though that the story is shaky, but in the end it was entertaining so I'm not really bothered by that so much. Glad it was successful, a lot of work was put in that and it paid off. Hope more works such as that are seen in the future.

I'm excited about this all together. Funimation is capable of pulling this off and actually succeeding at it. Funimation is a good company, actually putting forth an effort to talk to consumers and providing them with services to suit their needs. I think that this is a good move.
Lothar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote
crilix wrote:
Personally, I think this is the beginning of anime losing its identity. If Funimation has any respect for the medium it's localizing, then they should call their original content something else than "anime."

Anime has been losing its identity (I'm assuming you specifically mean "Japanese identity") since Tezuka was partly inspired by Disney and Fleischer. That said, Tezuka was Japanese and produced primarily for Japanese readers and audiences. While the "Japaneseness" of anime is a construct, it is still critical for us to arrive at a sensible definition, which I have posted here as a handy flow chart:

Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I would say Boondocks is a much more success than many anime out there due to many circumstances that come into play, such as the show starting out a comic long ago, being on TV, the controversy, etc.

This a good thing for Funi to spread its wings. "Losing their identity" is kind of rubbish to think. You can do multiple branches and "smart" consumers would know what they are looking for and like.

Find it a bit sad that someone would avoid a title because its not from a particular country/not intended for that country.
Lothar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
My chart says nothing about whether or not the title is good, just whether a title can be called "anime" in the most meaningful sense of the term. I liked the comic Dramacon, but I'm not about to call that manga either.
Koji98

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I think this will be an interesting situation. Let's hope that they choose some awesome properties to make anime of.
::cough::Scott Pilgrim::cough::
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote
looks like an anime Thundercats just became very likely. we are already seeing revamps of the other old franchises, so it makes perfect sense.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I doubt I'd care about any titles created specifically to appeal to audiences on both sides of the Pacific, but, if this leads to FUNimation co-producing, say, a new season of Ichigo Mashimaro/Strawberry Marshmallow, I'd be happy to be wrong.

lol, well Ichigo Mashimaro was certainly aimed at the R2J market... but to answer your question, with 2nd update now, the answer would be a flat out NO, unfortunately.

I guess we'll be seeing more of Afro Samurai, Batman, Ironman, etc

The only western franchise I'd love to see animated is Neil Gaiman's stuff -- not just Sandman, but the rest of his non-children's stories (most everything besides Coraline) without a graphic novel adaptation would be great.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:34 am Reply with quote
Hopefully they will produce more series like Witchblade and less like Sin. And hey, as long as they license anime and bring it over then I don't see a problem.

Also, just because they are going to be co-producing a lot of these shows doesn't automatically make them non-anime. Several criteria would have to be met for that to happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11