• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Starts Initiative for Co-Producing Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:14 pm Reply with quote
nadir-seen-fire wrote:
Hannish Lightning wrote:
OMG what if the first thing Funi co produces is Dragonball AF?

Erm, an anime of a manga that does not exist?
http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball_AF
FUNimation's own FAQ states that AF does not exist and isn't being produced.

I already know ,I was just kidding. But, there still a possibility Funi could co produce a new DB series or animated movie.
hussar67

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
???????????????????????????????? I still don't get it.. Somebody explain in a dumber level.. like level 10.

A staff poster from ANN could provide a much better in-the-loop explanation than I ever could, but here goes a shot. Anime shows are typically paid for by a group of investors (sometimes companies, sometimes individuals) who pony up money to an animation studio[s] to make a show or movie. They become "producers" because they're paying for the product to be produced. One of the things producers' money can be used for is the purchase of rights to a property.

What's your favorite comic? Most likely it's co-owned by the comic artist and his/her publishing house. Producers pay the publishing house to use the story (which then pays the artist). The producers think if they use this pre-existing story to make into a show/movie, they can earn back more money from advertising, downloads, DVD sales, merchandising, etc., than they invest , and hence make a profit. That's -- very rudimentary -- how anime from pre-existing titles get made.

Naruto = Japanese property
Witchblade = American property
Batman: Gotham Knight = American property

It seems like Funimation is saying they're going to start having an operation to gather investment to pay Japanese anime studios to adapt American properties into anime.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:37 pm Reply with quote
As long as FUNi doesn't have a say in what actually goes into the show. As much crap as Japan produces, I imagine it could only be worse.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
ayashe wrote:
God I hate Funimation. Why don't they focus on releasing quality work instead of messing around where they don't belong. This is why I don't support the American industry. If you want to really support anime get it directly from Japan, even if you don't understand the language.

What?!?!?!?! That has to be the biggest piece of fan dumb I have ever seen on a forum, and I once had to argue with someone who thought that we should do away with paying people for anything that wasn't a physical product.
Really, this is more of an argument for supporting the American anime industry than anything else. Money flows to Japan from co-producing anime based on Western intellectual property = more money in the system to fund or improve the quality of "Otaku Show #2871."
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quote
As its been mentioned the best example would be Witchblade which is an American copyright and was turned into a rather sucessful anime. You could also look at the Devil May Cry anime as another example as well as the upcoming Halo anime.
Stmurda23

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quote
does this mean we might see more air gear, full metal pacnic, and fruits basket episodes?
Scamp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
So all this really means is more money for animation studios. Can't see any harm in that whatsoever. Then again, all the names people are putting forward for co-produced anime that have been made already don't exactly inspire confidence.
Stmurda23

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
nadir-seen-fire wrote:
Hannish Lightning wrote:

I already know ,I was just kidding. But, there still a possibility Funi could co produce a new DB series or animated movie.

hey GT isn't a manga either so AF could happen, not to mention the money it would bring
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Update: Media Blasters (Kite: Liberator) and Urban Vision (Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust) also co-produced anime titles.

Don't forget Ninja Scroll

Quote:
As you all probably know, Urban Vision holds the license for the new Ninja Scroll TV series. What you might have missed, is that UV is actually co-producing the show and that they are in fact one of the driving forces behind it. If it hadn't been for a pitch that UV made to MADHOUSE, there would be no Ninja Scroll TV series. In short, it's thanks to UV that the Ninja Scroll TV series is being produced.

animenewsnetwork.com/editorial/2003-06-08/2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Stmurda23 wrote:
does this mean we might see more air gear, full metal pacnic, and fruits basket episodes?

Well there are a lot of variables at work with these titles. Bayob mentioned there are Japanese companies already involved but personally I have to wonder if the reason for this turn of events it to help out in co-funding Japanese productions, as well as produce US titles as Anime (while many seem to think little of Witchblade and Afro Samurai, I believe both have sold quite well for Funimation).

Full Metal Panic is one I would like to helped by this, if possible. Air Gear - not really sure what its status is. Fruits Baskets issue is with the author. She's been adamant she doesn't want any more Fruits Baskets anime and until she changes her mind, and any issues that might exist with the company who did the original anime are cleared up, we're not seeing any more Fruits Baskets IMO.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
As long as FUNi doesn't have a say in what actually goes into the show. As much crap as Japan produces, I imagine it could only be worse.
Why the automatic assumption Funimation would cause the quality of an anime to lower by having input? How would you even know where the particular input came from? Confused

Aside from the fact that a move like this could seriously jeopardize the biggest and most successful R1 dedicated anime licensing and localizing company if it over-extends them financially, I fail to see a downside to this news. As much as I love anime, it is almost certain that a Western audience will be more willing to buy a series based on a Western property. Such a production would 1) get the Japanese anime studios some cash without a lot of risk, 2) would likely generate some needed profit for the R1 company involved and 3) would have little to any effect on other anime productions.

In the event that they are actually co-producing series to be released in Japan, then it makes things potentially even better, as they could benefit from sales in Japan and either have a cheaper or free license for the series over here.

Really, I'm not seeing this doom cloud others are. Where is this Funimation Derangement Syndrome coming from? Why are you people filled with rage at them for succeeding where the other companies have failed? Do you hate the more successful Japanese companies too?
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
ayashe wrote:
God I hate Funimation. Why don't they focus on releasing quality work instead of messing around where they don't belong. This is why I don't support the American industry. If you want to really support anime get it directly from Japan, even if you don't understand the language.

I hope you're kidding.

Buying from the American companies supports the industry, and it's much cheaper than paying an arm and a leg for the Japanese R2 DVDs.

Quote:
Manga Entertainment, Bandai Entertainment, and ADV Films were among the other North American anime distributors that co-produced and developed anime titles, instead of just acquiring exisiting anime titles.

Update: Media Blasters (Kite: Liberator) and Urban Vision (Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust) also co-produced anime titles.

You forgot Central Park Media (MD Geist).

Last edited by The_Libertarian_Otaku on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
tripdragon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Baccano season 2 yes!!!!

This is how we got Big OH season 2 from Cartoon Network. Even if it was spoiler[Tomato end] It was still worth it.

Baccano was made for America. AND it has more content in the novels.

Last edited by tripdragon on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Stmurda23 wrote:
Hannish Lightning wrote:
nadir-seen-fire wrote:
Hannish Lightning wrote:

hey GT isn't a manga either so AF could happen, not to mention the money it would bring

GT wasn't an ancient April Fool's Day joke.

Why does more Dragon Ball need to be made? GT overextended it as it was. I don't think Toriyama wants any more. And in particular, why would Funimation be the deciding factor? The franchise is still huge in Japan, as evidenced by the compressed version of DBZ (which I remind you is about twenty years old) which since its beginning has been equaling the anime adaptation of the most popular comic in Japan in the TV ratings.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Really, I'm not seeing this doom cloud others are. Where is this Funimation Derangement Syndrome coming from? Why are you people filled with rage at them for succeeding where the other companies have failed? Do you hate the more successful Japanese companies too?

It's best to ignore it. I find it hard to believe that ayashe, for one, isn't just trying to take the piss out of people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11