• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Debinitely, Maybe

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I've never been much into comics, so I don't read manga. But I am an animation fan, and by extension, interested in anime.

Anime and manga are two different mediums, just as comic books and cartoons. You don't need to read the comics to follow the cartoons. In fact those who are the hardest on the cartoons or anime are usually the comic book and manga fans because they've grown to expect the animation to resemble the illustrations. But in many cases, anime is better enjoyed when one doesn't have expectations as to what will happen next.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
most of that fanservice-y stuff is seinen.. theres a reason these things air at 2am..

No it's shounen,so are most harems. If it was seinen it would take it more seriously rather than playing it for laughs. You have ecchi(as a genre) and fanservice confused, I think.

Seinen is mostly: slice of life, horror, comedy, more serious fantasy/sci-fi, and anything exceptionaly wordy. It also includes some yuri and most ero-manga.

Hmm... I wonder how different some the reviews on here would be if more of the staff had already read the manga, or at least flipped through a volume or two, of what they were reviewing. Then you can see how much of the plot structure, and flaws in it, is due to the source material and what is error on the animation studios part. It's the liking a film only because you hadn't read the original book, or hating a song due to only hearing a bad cover problem. Having the original as comparison always helps in criticising something.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like the Azumanga anime much because I don't think it's really possible to adapt four-panel comics into animation. The four identical panels are too much a part of them(if they're being done right) and there's no way to translate that.

This is why the two entirely original episodes were my favorite.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:53 am Reply with quote
I must admit, as a BL fan I was rather relieved to hear Zac address Casey's departure and the potential need to hire someone to specialize in BL reviews. When I found out Casey had left I really did feel a bit down about it from a purely selfish viewpoint, as I enjoyed and most importantly trusted her reviews on such titles. I recognize that it seems like a double standard to want someone inclined to enjoy BL on ANN's staff specifically to review BL titles but it does seem almost necessary in a way. A reviewer sort of has to be familiar with BL tropes and how each title does or doesn't deal in them to be able to give a review of any worth to the target audience (who at this point, personally speaking, is sort of overwhelmed by the glut of new titles in the last few years). And quite honestly, when reviewing BL titles one is probably talking to a specific audience, as non-BL fans probably aren't bothering to read or at least seriously consider those reviews. So, in short, I for one hope you do hire someone familiar with the genre to cover it for those of us who do read it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:07 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
I must admit, as a BL fan I was rather relieved to hear Zac address Casey's departure and the potential need to hire someone to specialize in BL reviews.

I wonder why Casey left? To be honest, I think she would've been more well-received as a reviewer if she had stuck to just BL... It was the hyper-feminism in her other, more mainstream reviews than turned off a lot of people, IIRC. (I still can't figure out why she thought Princess Princess was sexist. Silly and pandering? Definitely. Sexist? Not so much.)

Quote:
So, in short, I for one hope you do hire someone familiar with the genre to cover it for those of us who do read it.

Yeah, me too. There's just too much out there to choose from for us to navigate the waters alone. Shocked

Last edited by neocloud9 on Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
yurijuri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I've always been more into manga than anime, so the talk of having more manga reviews on the site is exciting. I never gave much thought to the fact that there would be a difference between manga and anime critics, but it makes sense given they're two different mediums.

I agree that turning Yotsuba&! into an anime would not be a good idea. I would think it would turn out worse than the Azumanga Daioh anime did for me since you could at least pull more material for a show out of Azumanga.
Fuchsia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Hi

Nice podcast this week and thanks for having that interesting discussion with Deb Aoki. I enjoy your podcast.

Was your musical break this week a version of Semisonics' "Closing Time" run through a 32 bit game console? It was fun. I would appreciate more information about it.
The Count

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Fuchsia wrote:
Hi

Nice podcast this week and thanks for having that interesting discussion with Deb Aoki. I enjoy your podcast.

Was your musical break this week a version of Semisonics' "Closing Time" run through a 32 bit game console? It was fun. I would appreciate more information about it.
Yeah I was going to ask if that was an IDM version of "closing time". Hated the original, but I love Experimental/IDM.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote
Fuchsia wrote:
Hi

Yeah, it's from an album of 8-bit covers that the Something Awful forums produced a few years back. It's still floating around out there in the ether, just google "SA NESCover and it should pop up.

Thanks for listening!
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
I liked the cave location this week, I think the show should be from a different location every week from now on. Next week: from an alien spaceship. Or something.

Gotta say I wasn't a fan of Bradley...he kind of prattled and kept talking over Zac instead of bouncing off of him...

Kurozuka is a strange little show, though. Really gory action and a lot of symbolism and stuff about reincarnation that was so far over my head that I couldn't even tell if it was faux-depth. Probably if I knew more about Japanese folklore and religion things would have made more sense. I rarely rewatch things or I wait a few years before I do (and even then they have to be pretty good for me to rewatch them) but this is one show I'm planning on rewatching to see if I can pick up additional details and put the puzzle pieces together a bit better.
CruzMissile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:22 am Reply with quote
I kinda wanted to hear more about the concerts at AFA from Justin, although I don't think he's a concert kinda guy...

I think north american cons can learn about the "less is more" space wise.... from AFA... sometimes you just don't need 8 video rooms and 15 panel rooms when only 1 or 2 people are in those rooms (im exaggerating a bit).. but north american cons are different in the sense that people are there for the whole weekend and not necessarily commuting unless your city has an awesome transportation system

looking forward to all the other interviews/soundbites Justin got from his time in Singapore.

...and the Mandarin Oriental is pretty much the Gold Standard for hotels in Asia Razz

I'll also add my voice to the "musical break song was awesome" chorus.

It sounds like Deb's audio was cutting in and out almost every other sentence... Zac you're either very patience or a master sound editor (or both!)
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:45 am Reply with quote
CruzMissile wrote:
I kinda wanted to hear more about the concerts at AFA from Justin, although I don't think he's a concert kinda guy...

Yeah, not so much. I'm not good with crowds, and if no AC system in Singapore could keep up with a normal amount of people just walking, there was no way in hell that concert area would have been livable. Besides, I was busy enough doing other stuff. Cool
gerjomarty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Great podacst, as per usual.

I have to say, I'm much more interested in the Macross franchise after hearing about it. I think it's always been one of those series that is difficult to know where to get started and difficult to get through the mountain of stuff available. 90s guitar music and good songs have certainly pushed it up the list for me, though.

I was a little disappointed that you found Aria boring, Zac. I can certainly see why, given the lack of plot and the extremely slow pacing, but I thought that relaxing, warm feel of the manga translated to screen pretty well. Ah well, I guess it is a pretty divisive series, even it is so nice.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:44 pm Reply with quote
gerjomarty wrote:
I have to say, I'm much more interested in the Macross franchise after hearing about it. I think it's always been one of those series that is difficult to know where to get started and difficult to get through the mountain of stuff available.

There isn't really that much Macross. Three series, 2 OVAs, and only one real film if you don't count the movie version of Macross Plus. I mean, it's nothing like Gundam.
gerjomarty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
There isn't really that much Macross. Three series, 2 OVAs, and only one real film if you don't count the movie version of Macross Plus. I mean, it's nothing like Gundam.

Oh, I see. It always just seemed like there was lots of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3