• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Blassreiter DVD part 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote
Yeah... this wasn't a bad series...

The CG was quite cool, considering that Gonzo hadn't used that much of it a the time. Well, not enough to be labeled "cool".

I agree that the story is good, but not inspiring. It doesn't make you wanna see what happens yet with anticipation, but it does entertain.

I never thought to compare this with Speed Grapher. Speed Grapher actually clicked with me pretty well, so I can't denounce it when comparing to Blassreiter.

I funny fact: Chris Beveridge hated this show, with a passion. His earlier Crunchyroll reviews had more F- than I've ever seen before in my life!

Thankfully, this review kinda makes me want to continue on from where I left off from episode 4.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I'd say the second part was better and more enjoyable because that's when the plot really kicks in, and the past is finally revealed. So, seeing the first part getting good(assuming B is a good rating, which I consider so) rated like this, I wouldn't be surprised to see the second getting a B+ overall.

Otaking09 wrote:
I agree that the story is good, but not inspiring. It doesn't make you wanna see what happens yet with anticipation, but it does entertain.

And you say that after seeing 4 episodes only? Weird. But you're rather correct though. The story definitely isn't inspiring, but it gets interesting after episode 12 or so.
unready

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting to compare Theron's review today to Erin's review yesterday. Theron rates the 3DCG as a strength. Erin labels it more as one of the biggest weaknesses. I haven't seen a single episode, so at this point I have no opinion.

I liked the 3DCG in Noein. It was only afterward that I saw the Noein promos hyping the "breakthrough" of layering 2D and 3D. I took a screen cap of the scene where Haruka first sees Shangri-La and made it a wallpaper. I find it quite reminiscent of Christina's World, although I don't know if that was the intention.

Anyway, as individuals we have an opportunity to break the apparent tie regarding Blassreiter for ourselves.

The other interesting thing, I think, is that Funimation licensed Blassreiter after CrunchyRoll did. I thought CrunchyRoll only got their shot at a series after everyone else had already passed on it. Did Funimation have second thoughts?
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:41 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
The other interesting thing, I think, is that Funimation licensed Blassreiter after CrunchyRoll did. I thought CrunchyRoll only got their shot at a series after everyone else had already passed on it. Did Funimation have second thoughts?

I'd have to assume it had something to do with Funimation's deal with Gonzo.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:20 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

Otaking09 wrote:

And you say that after seeing 4 episodes only? Weird. But you're rather correct though. The story definitely isn't inspiring, but it gets interesting after episode 12 or so.

I've heard that so many times. Shuffle anyone? To me even if a show gets better if it doesn't start off decent enough then what's the point of it getting better once it hits double digit episodes? Just me there. Maybe it does but it sounds like a title to get via Netflix rather then buying. While Theron's review seems to be more positive then Erin's on Shelf Life I don't think this title still makes it into the purchasing category.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:30 am Reply with quote
It gets better plot/story wise. Don't get me wrong, I never said the first 12 were bad episodes, actually, I found the first 12 better, because I really liked the drama revolving about Gerd.

Quote:
While Theron's review seems to be more positive then Erin's on Shelf Life I don't think this title still makes it into the purchasing category.

No offense to Erin but, her review on Blassreiter makes it clear how she dislikes this type of anime; making her review unreliable, at least for me. But you can always check a few episodes for free at CR and see for yourself whether it's worthy or not, if you don't want to rely on reviews so much.
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:34 am Reply with quote
I'm with egoist: as I mentioned in the Shelf Life thread, I didn't really dig the first episode, but I started liking the show right off with episode 2, and was really into it by the end of the first disc (episode 6). I would definitely recommend renting the first disc (or watching the first few episodes on CR or Funi's website) before buying it. This show is good, but it isn't exactly unassailably perfect or anything so it's not for everyone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stretch24

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen any of the series which this show was compared to, but perhaps it's significant that being in that state I loved Blassreiter, so if anything was copied, it was copied right. What struck me about Blassreiter was that it had a story which made sense, moved swiftly, and firmly held my interest--not a whole lot of series manage to do that, so this one definitely stuck out. I think the first half was the best, as clues are skillfully given to us regarding the secrets of the Amalgams; in the second half more emphasis seemed to be put on fighting rather than mystery solving. The characters were great; I would say that Amanda rivals Joseph for the position of main character. What I really liked was that the XAT team members, who are mere humans rather than superheroes of any sort, manage to make a significant dent in the amalgams using just their brains and skill. These are not simplistic I-always-hit-you-always-miss people (which I hate), they are true professionals. The grim nature of the story didn't trouble me too much (except perhaps the suicide), on the contrary it made the story infinitely more realistic--courage actually means something in a situation like this. The cliffhanger at the end of episode twelve nearly blew my mind--this sort of stuff isn't supposed to happen in anime action series! Again, I haven't seen the series which Blassreiter was compared to, but I am skeptical that they could be as good as this.
cosmo773

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:29 am Reply with quote
The story really does take off after episode 12, but completely falls apart at the very end of the series! Hate to spoil it for you guys but, for such a grim series it has one of the happiest finales ever! TOTAL CRAP ENDING! Don't waste your money buying or watching it! You'll be in for a huge disappointment!
zaeris

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:11 am Reply with quote
cosmo773 wrote:
The story really does take off after episode 12, but completely falls apart at the very end of the series! Hate to spoil it for you guys but, for such a grim series it has one of the happiest finales ever! TOTAL CRAP ENDING! Don't waste your money buying or watching it! You'll be in for a huge disappointment!

There probably two things that bother me about this post....
spoiler[Why can't grim series have happy ending?

Second it was really left to interpretation the ending. Did you really believe it was the fuzzy, warm and happy ending?]

This review extend to part one of the series you should use spoilers… with regards to future episodes not contain in this part.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1