• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop CEO Considers Using Fan Translators

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Densebrains wrote:
I think business wise this would be a great idea. I was also thinking about this.

Why can't the anime companies use fan subs/translators to help them produce/sell anime? They seem to be quicker and with good quality.

I can't see any anime company turning over HQ raws to people who have an undeniable history or copyright violation and illegally distributing your work. The whole undeniable history thing makes me think they'd question the legitimacy of it.
sharonlover

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Densebrains wrote:
I think business wise this would be a great idea. I was also thinking about this.

Why can't the anime companies use fan subs/translators to help them produce/sell anime? They seem to be quicker and with good quality.

I can't see any anime company turning over HQ raws to people who have an undeniable history or copyright violation and illegally distributing your work. The whole undeniable history thing makes me think they'd question the legitimacy of it.

I'd have to turn this around and compare it to hackers. Who better to have as counter intelligence/intelligence then the countries best computer hackers? I say that people who love to do what they do (such as scanlators) and who appreciate the projects they work on would give considerably more effort then those who are simply paid to 'do work' that they may not necessarily enjoy.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
sharonlover wrote:

I don't have a source; however, my wife was reading a licensed copy of one of the manga's she originally worked on and found that it was from her scanlation group once. I can vouch that it has happened. I don't think it's ever really been 'documented' i mean what are scanlators going to do? sue them? lol Wink

Vouch? Wouldn't the above situation mean you have a copy of both the scanlation and the manga so in effect, have documented evidence for comparision sake? So why would you need to vouch for if you can give us an example instead? I'm sure you can find her group's scanlations somewhere. And isn't your wife the source since she's the one who said it?
sharonlover

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:23 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:

Vouch? Wouldn't the above situation mean you have a copy of both the scanlation and the manga so in effect, have documented evidence for comparision sake? So why would you need to vouch for if you can give us an example instead? I'm sure you can find her group's scanlations somewhere. And isn't your wife the source since she's the one who said it?

no it doesn't mean I have a copy of it. This occurred before I met her some 5 years earlier. Shortly after some publishing company picked it up and she saw it in Waldenbooks and read a chapter or two in the store. Why would she buy something that she's already worked on and read. She saw it was her editing/typesetting (same font, ect ect) and put it back and found thought it was pretty funny.

Considering my wife doesn't sit on my lap here at work when I posted this initially it's not like I can give you exact details, much less she may not even be able to because it was so long ago and she's scanlated almost every yuu watase manga on her own site, as well as countless other projects for snoopycool and others. For her it was one of those, "how low can you go" moments, put it back and kept living her life. Again...what was she going to do about it? When I said I didn't have a source, I meant the comparison you were talking about. I didn't realize I was going to get the 3rd degree otherwise I would have come better prepared.

She doesn't keep any of her work when she's done with it. If she does she burns it to CD and lord knows where that gets lost after years. Keeping projects on your computer takes a ton of space. Doubt! took up a good 1.5G in 26 chapters (I think it was 26) on my own computer, and 5 years ago, that was a bit of space to be taking up. Considering the manga was licensed, she also removed the project from her website (or whoever it was she did it with) as she pulls them once they are licensed.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quote
sharonlover wrote:
We aren't about taking money if it can be legitimately bought and viewed here in the US, we are just bringing things for the fans that they may not otherwise get a chance to see.

That's the true ideal for any fansub or scanlation: spreading the word on something we might otherwise never watch or read. A shame so many people violate that ideal by never buying a product.

Nomad Soul wrote:
Another shameless plug: My group (Kotonoha) is available to scanlate any type of manga for a moderate sum. I'm of course biased but I think our scanlations are the best money can buy. So Stu, call me, ok? "wink:

I love you guys! Many, many a kotonoha scan have I read. You do truly obscure and/or underrated stuff and adhere carefully to licenses.

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Contrary to what you might believe, not all (or even most) scanlators are evil copyright-violating I'll-be-damned-if-I-pay-for-anything-that-can't-be-weighed a-holes. Some of them are, especially the ones who do licensed and available series, and definitely those who just scan English-language releases. But many are fans who say, "Man, it's a shame this isn't licensed yet! Maybe if we start translating it, we can raise some interest to get it licensed. And failing that, we'll have given people a great series they might otherwise never have heard about." In other words, they're fans. They may be violating the letter of the law, but their hearts are in the right places. If companies can find ways of working with them, that would be awesome. Nor can I see an employee easily biting the hand that feeds them by putting up stuff they translated for free; they'd be fired and no one would pay them anymore, which is a darn big incentive.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:33 pm Reply with quote
krelyan wrote:
Just a thought for those that think this will allow them make the transistion from fan to professional translator.

.. well, every US anime/manga company has hired people who have made this transition..
mlisette23

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I like the idea of using fan translators for series on hiatus but it all depends on how they execute it. Will scanlations be used without permission? Will the fan translators be compensated in any way? One benefit they can use as others have mentioned is giving credit to fan translator in the actual volume and allowing them to put it in their resume's.

Given Tokyopop's situation they probably won't be paying for the translations and one thing they can do to make me as a consumer comfortable buying "scanlations" is for them to donate a portion of their revenue on each volume sold to a charity. I'll be buying a volume full of scanlations but it will be for a good cause. Wink
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
sharonlover wrote:
I don't have a source; however, my wife was reading a licensed copy of one of the manga's she originally worked on and found that it was from her scanlation group once. I can vouch that it has happened. I don't think it's ever really been 'documented' i mean what are scanlators going to do? sue them? lol Wink

Okay then Smile

lol, scanlators *could* sue.
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Saying that scanlators suck at translation is like saying the manga industry sucks at translation. Yes, some scanlators suck (anything that scanlates Shonen Jump), but some are good (MangaScreener came up for good reason). Similarly, yes, some pro manga licensors suck (Tokyopop) but some are good (Del Rey perhaps?).

Funny how the more mainstream the group, the lower the quality, it seems....
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I have to laugh.

I don't know how you can abuse scanlators for a company's own profit when a scanlator has translated something illegally and the content actually belongs to the company in the first place.

I think an internship is a better idea than hired work, because it can give a good reference to see what the scanlator's skills are prior to be fully hired. Then again, internships are not anything new in the business field, so why is TP is looked at negatively at this? Is it because it's related to anime/manga in general? Because for some reason, I think that's the only reason that people are making a big fuss over it.

Secondly, it is a learning experience. I think it's good for scanlators to work on "lower sale" manga and for reasons pretty obvious to me. If the "higher sale" manga is doing well enough as it is, why make a change? And once again, this is good as an experiment, IMO, for both company and people interested in possibly working in the industry.

But meh, I don't read scanlations, I prefer buying the book itself.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
As resident net Gundam scanlator, TokyoPop can toss some bucks my way and I'll work on Ecole du Ciel or any other Gundam manga they want for that matter Razz Course I'd be a sell out (somewhat), but I can use some extra cash...
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:02 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Saying that scanlators suck at translation is like saying the manga industry sucks at translation.

No, it's not. Unless the manga industry is made up of scanlators, I don't see why what applies to one should automatically apply to the other.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:57 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Densebrains wrote:

Yeah and shipping companies can use the Somali pirates to run cargo through the Persian Gulf. Rolling Eyes

Desperate times call for desperate measures and Levy has always been a desperate man running a desperate company.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:55 am Reply with quote
I have to say that, unlike many fansub viewers, I think most people who read scans do buy the legal copy if it's available in their country. Most of them (including me!) seem to like owning physical copies and of course, it helps that manga is cheaper. I follow Vampire Knight on scans and I buy the volumes when they come out. I even followed it in Shojo Beat long after I stopped caring about the other series. Also, the scanlator whose works I read encourages people to buy the legal versions of the books and related merchandise. Plus, there's a lot of series that are unlicensed or is some cases dropped and it can be a good way to continue or build support.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
I have to say that, unlike many fansub viewers, I think most people who read scans do buy the legal copy if it's available in their country. Most of them (including me!) seem to like owning physical copies and of course, it helps that manga is cheaper. I follow Vampire Knight on scans and I buy the volumes when they come out. I even followed it in Shojo Beat long after I stopped caring about the other series. Also, the scanlator whose works I read encourages people to buy the legal versions of the books and related merchandise. Plus, there's a lot of series that are unlicensed or is some cases dropped and it can be a good way to continue or build support.

There is something to be said about the difference between reading a book on a computer screen and reading it as a book. As far as video, you're still limited to some type of monitor, but manga is nicer in the tangible form. Until e-readers come down in price anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6