• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop CEO Considers Using Fan Translators

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:49 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Quote:
Update: Tokyopop is considering using scanlations only for titles that are on hiatus due to low sales.

Oh, they're talking about scanlations.

Oh, they're talking about charging for scanlations.

Maybe the idea of paying for what has been free just offends my selfish conceits, but I don't like the idea.

I know several things about myself:
1. I will not pay $10.99 or $9.99 for a scanlation.
2. I also won't buy a manga scan when i already shelled out money for it once- I don't like incomplete series on my shelf.
3. Question: If the manga already has low sells why do they think selling it again (online) will be any better?

So i'm out their sell equation regardless. I like the choice of words- using fan translators instead of hiring fan translators. I think that in itself shows they probably won't be paid.

Also why a Lament of the Lamb Movie? Is that a title that stuck with a lot of people? Isn't it like five years too late?

Last edited by britannicamoore on Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:01 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:53 am Reply with quote
This is very likely related to a certain leaked document from a major scanlation site. (Not sure if said site is allowed to be named.)

The idea sounds different from fansubbers/scanlators going pro, which has been previously mentioned in the thread. It sounds like TP plans to pay the scanlators for one series while the group continues all their other scanlations (similar to DB's professional services). However, since Tokyopop was known for paying low rates to college student translators and these series are considered too expensive for these translators, what they pay is going to be amusing to hear.

Edit: Or am I reading this right off twitter? They don't plan to pay them anything, just have them sign over their translations?
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:10 am Reply with quote
I haven't read that many scanlations, but each and every one so far has had terrible grammar and spelling, not to mention awkward translations that sometimes completely miss the point (I'm in the habit of buying the original Japanese tankoubon). I'd like to believe that there is more skill in the fan translator pool than what I've seen.
Mew1Mokuba-Akari

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:17 am Reply with quote
Personally it makes no difference to me. But as someone pointed out Tokyopop said using not paying. I can't speak for translators as I can't speak another language, but I know if I could do it and they asked me and they weren't going to pay me, while they take my stuff turn around and sell it and make tons of money off of it, I wouldn't do it! Anyone that does is to me stupid. Plus if they don't pay you, then there's no guarantee that you will even be credited for anything you do. So basically you could be doing all the work for no money and no credit!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:18 am Reply with quote
Brilliant. I for one have always secretly wanted to pay 9.99 for the same second rate 'translations' that I can find free online. (The same ones I was forced to rely on when Tokyopop screwed me over initially).
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:52 am Reply with quote
Once again, Tokyopop is trying to abuse manga fans for their own profit. But this time it's even worse, because the Scanlators aren't being paid at all.
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:38 am Reply with quote
i'd rather have a physical copy of tactics in my hand. But maybe that's just me. I don't like paying for something I can't physically hold in my hand. i've been through too many hard drives to know about data loss.
sharonlover

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:57 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

I know several things about myself:
1. I will not pay $10.99 or $9.99 for a scanlation.
2. I also won't buy a manga scan when i already shelled out money for it once- I don't like incomplete series on my shelf.
3. Question: If the manga already has low sells why do they think selling it again (online) will be any better?

So i'm out their sell equation regardless. I like the choice of words- using fan translators instead of hiring fan translators. I think that in itself shows they probably won't be paid.

Also why a Lament of the Lamb Movie? Is that a title that stuck with a lot of people? Isn't it like five years too late?

1. they would like offer a subscription for monthly viewing OR one time downloads for a much cheaper price. After all, they are low money earners and having a cheaply paid scanlation group translate it still brings them in some money on the license that they would otherwise be losing on.

2. But if the story is interesting enough and the only way to read it was online...you still wouldn't? Reading vs. collecting are two different things.

3. By releasing online you do one of two things. First, those fans that want to continue reading it can do so; while the company still makes a profit without expenditures for production beyond the website/download and labor. Secondly, if the series has low sales, releasing it online can help keep track of whether or not it becomes more popular. There are a few manga that have started slow that went on 'haitus' here in America, a scanlation group picks it up, and BAM later on the story gets much better and people are now interested in it.

Even if us scanlators make no money off of it, some of us have degree's in this but no jobs available in the market for us. These would look good on a resume; as happened with the Beck dude from mangascreeners. He's lived the dream, scanlator, to paid translator....what could be better? Owning your own publishing company Razz

Last edited by sharonlover on Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
sharonlover

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:57 am Reply with quote
*edit* double post
labantnet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:58 am Reply with quote
Mew1Mokuba-Akari wrote:
if I could do it and they asked me and they weren't going to pay me, while they take my stuff turn around and sell it and make tons of money off of it, I wouldn't do it! Anyone that does is to me stupid.

No, they would be exceptionally smart. Don't forget that scanlations are 100% illegal. The scanlator should be credited though.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:12 am Reply with quote
I think that if it is arranged in an open and honest way, and people are rewarded for their work in some way (maybe not financially, but with other perks like stars next to their names on forums or nice, bold crediting, or free tokyopop manga Smile )
it might attract some people.

But the issue is in quality control. You have to set up some sort of self-policing or internal QC or you'll end up putting complete crap out there.
Tokyopop has enough problems with its reputation for quality.

Things need to be very transparent when it is a "scanlation" vs. a professionally done work, though. And I also believe this should be limited to very cheap digital distribution, although I suspect that's implied since they're saying it'll only be for low-selling titles anyway.

If something takes off on the downloads and they decide to print it into a real book, then the scanlators should get paid for real. I believe that should be the deal that would satisfy most people.
darcerin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote
From a buyer's point of view, I sit in front of a computer screen for 8 hours a day at work. I certainly do NOT want to come home just to sit down in front of a computer again just to read my manga. I think that's why I get behind on the scans I do read now, because I just don't want to be spending my leisure time straining my eyes.
sharonlover

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:26 am Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
From a buyer's point of view, I sit in front of a computer screen for 8 hours a day at work. I certainly do NOT want to come home just to sit down in front of a computer again just to read my manga. I think that's why I get behind on the scans I do read now, because I just don't want to be spending my leisure time straining my eyes.

I absolutely agree with that; however, my problem is that most of the manga I read haven't even been published here. A couple that I'm working on, Helen ESP for example, is great and I would love to see it get liscensed.
MangaNeko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:46 am Reply with quote
I would like to see a TokyoPop website that is similar to VIZ's Shonen Sunday and Ikki manga sites, but I would like them to improve upon the VIZ model in that more titles release weekly chapters vs the once a month chapter. If TP could release 5 to 10 titles each week I would pay a small sum, ie like $30 for the year or even $5 per month.

No I will not double purchase all titles I read online or through anthologies like Shonen Jump or Yen Plus, but there are one or two
that I do purchase, plus I get introduced to titles I was considering through sample chapters.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:12 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
I haven't read that many scanlations, but each and every one so far has had terrible grammar and spelling, not to mention awkward translations that sometimes completely miss the point (I'm in the habit of buying the original Japanese tankoubon). I'd like to believe that there is more skill in the fan translator pool than what I've seen.

No, there are skilled scanlation groups out there, but they tend to focus on more obscure and unlicensed series. Someone mentioned Manga Download, and it doesn't surprise me that some of their staff went on to become professionals. I would think that's the goal of most good scanlators. Why do for free what you can get paid for? (edit: except maybe to get interest going in an unlicensed series)

Groups that do things like Naruto, Bleach, or Fullmetal Alchemist, on the other hand, are just trying to get them out before anyone else does. Ideally this can be like a kind of "preview" of the manga before you buy the final, professional version. Otherwise... I know official translations can sometimes be screwy (Puffer Fish-sensei in Nodame still floors me as an example blind idiot translation), but by and large they are vastly superior to speed scanlations.

If TokyoPop is really just looking to find good translators with experience in doing digital distribution, they probably are smart to look for good scanlators. Hire them. If they are good translators, you might as well.

Last edited by vashfanatic on Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6