• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BonusStage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:06 am Reply with quote

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's (TV)

Genres: action, drama, science fiction, tournament
Themes: card games, high speed chases, monsters

Plot Summary: Many years in the future after the exploits of Yugi Mutou, Domino City has become a shadow of its former self: Neo Domino City. There lies a strong divide between the rich and the poor, and bridging that gap proves to be difficult. Neo Domino seems fit to entertain itself with a wild new event called "Riding Duels", the newest form of playing the ever popular Duel Monsters card game. Enter Yusei Fudou, a young man who lives on the edge of the law, making his own rules. His desire to reclaim what is rightly his from an old friend turns into much more than what he and many of his newfound companions called "Signers" would have ever bargained for.
----------------------------------

I've been hearing a lot of info regarding the reception of the third installment of this series overall being negative. It got low ratings, not as many people liked it, it got cut short in Japan in favor of starting Zexal early, etcetera. I'm just curious if anyone might know why that is. 5D's also isn't my favorite in the franchise, but I find it interesting it's sometimes referred to as the black sheep of the bunch. Maybe someone could share their thoughts on why or the series in general? Was it the whole 'card games on motorcycles' thing people didn't like?

[Edit]: Changed thread title, added pic & link - making official thread for the series. Errinundra.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:40 am Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
Was it the whole 'card games on motorcycles' thing people didn't like?

Well, duh. Ya think?

The exact moment the franchise jumped the shark is debatable. Some say in the later seasons of GX, others say before that with the Orichalcos filler arc in the original show (that's when I lost interest). But what we do know is that 5D's premise was so dumb (even for Yu-Gi-Oh!) that if the franchise hadn't jumped the shark before 5D it definitely ramped it now. Yu-Gi-Oh! had always been campy, but now it was just cringe-inducing.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Well, duh. Ya think?

The only people who actually think that probably aren't YGO fans to begin with. Just LittleKuriboh fans who parrot what he says.. and since LittleKuriboh doesn't even watch/know YGO, and what he does know he only knows from a heavily edited dub, people shouldn't listen to him about the series. I mean, for the longest time he kept insisting 'everyone' hatred and bashed GX, not knowing it was the most well received/popular series of the franchise. Talk about not knowing what you work on.

Anyway, I found 5Ds lacked a lot of the thematics and qualities the other 3 series had. It didn't feel much like a YGO series because of that. Yusei didn't really fit the title of a Yuugiou and the side characters weren't all that interesting to me. It was just too big of a departure I find. Zexal is a much more welcomed series and got the franchise back on track to its roots.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
...and since LittleKuriboh doesn't even watch/know YGO...

Of course he does. This is a categorically incorrect statement.

TitanXL wrote:
...and what he does know he only knows from a heavily edited dub...

This contradicts your earlier statement (that he didn't watch the show at all).

Besides, he watches the sub too. If you'd paid attention you'd have noticed that on several occasions he compares the dub and sub lines together. How would he even know the sub lines if he hadn't watched the sub?

He only focuses on making fun of the dub because A: that is what most English-speaking fans are familiar with and, B: it is just so easy to lambaste. Remember the entire arc where he trashed 4KIDS?

TitanXL wrote:
I mean, for the longest time he kept insisting 'everyone' hatred and bashed GX, not knowing it was the most well received/popular series of the franchise. Talk about not knowing what you work on.

Oh, and I assume that you've got actual proof that GX is the most popular part of the franchise amongst Western fans?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
A quick Google search could give him a list of differences. If he does watch it, then not that much given the vlogs he posts where he says he doesn't even know much about it, like not knowing the character's names or what their signature monsters are (Yugi's of all characters to not know) or anything despite appearing in most of the episodes. It's pretty clear he's not too terribly familiar with this stuff.

And GX got better ratings. Reruns of GX matched/outdid premier episodes of 5Ds, which is pretty bad when reruns are doing as well as you. Zexal's doing a lot better in the ratings than 5Ds as well lack I checked in July, but that was before the timeslot changed.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
They where playing a child's card game on motorcycles.. do i need to explain any more reasons why?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, about that, Yu-Gi-Oh! is not a 'child's card game' like LittleKuribo keeps insisting. That's what I mean by fans who parrot his misinformation without actually knowing anything about it. Yu-Gi-Oh! is no more for kids than Magic the Gathering is.

BonusStage, I don't think this forum is the best place for a Yu-Gi-Oh thread. I mean, so far I'm the only one who actually discussed the actual series itself and not just make a silly, misinformed Abridged joke about the subject. It becomes pretty clear who hasn't actually seen the series in these kinds of discussions.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I didn't realize 5D's was poorly received--the people I know IRL who watched it liked it a lot better than GX. Of course, I can't say much since I'm not really a fan so much as someone who keeps tabs on the new series because I loved Yu-gi-oh so much as a kid, but I'm also curious to know why people apparently disliked it. I've only seen a few episodes, but it seemed interesting and I liked what I saw of Yusei, and I plan on watching more eventually.

As for LK, I always thought he was someone who really loved the original series but didn't care too much for the new series (and therefore doesn't know as much about them.) I watched all of GX as a kid, and never noticed any major inaccuracies in his jokes about it, at least as long as we're assuming he's making fun of the dubbed version.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Yeah, about that, Yu-Gi-Oh! is not a 'child's card game' like LittleKuribo keeps insisting. That's what I mean by fans who parrot his misinformation without actually knowing anything about it. Yu-Gi-Oh! is no more for kids than Magic the Gathering is.

Everyone I knew who played the Yu-Gi-Oh! trading card game (and that was a lot of people) did so as a child or young teen. Not as an adult. Sure, there were adults who played it competitively, but they were vastly outnumbered by the amount of kids who played it at school and at home. The target demographic of both the trading cards and the Anime was definitely non-adults.

Basically, if following the age progression it went Pokemon -> Yu-Gi-Oh! -> Magic The Gathering and/or Warhammer (depending on if the person stuck with trading cards or went with miniature wargames).

So yeah, calling it a children's card game is accurate.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

You know, to say that there are Yugioh players who are not children would be totally valid. In fact, to say that group is of a significant size would also be valid (that is to say, it isn't just a handful of exceptions). Hell, even to say that this group is close to the majority at this point seems arguable (if also, I would say, totally untrue). But to pretend that Yugioh is not, first and foremost designed to be a product for children, let alone to compare it to the neckbeard convention that is Magic: The Gathering, just makes it sounds like you don't reside on this planet and pretty much invalidates everything else you've said. Which, at least in this situation, is a shame. I mean, I actually like the Yugioh TCG. I haven't played in quite a few years but I did play in high school and I remember it quite fondly. It's a fun game and there's plenty of depth to it for older, competitive players to get into. At the same time though, I'm not going to pretend it isn't a game meant for children because A) That would be absurd and B) There's nothing wrong with that. Something can be for kids and still hold deeper appeal for adults. I really wish people like you would just accept this instead of trying to insist that the things you like are actually totally for adults.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken, the guy just severely needs to explore watching different and hell, I'm gonna go there, better stories than every anime currently existing that's designed to sell children-appealing merch.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:17 am Reply with quote
Well... first off, Hypeathon, I must admit the fact you take so much time following me around to every thread, and on top of that, to other forums was flattering at first, but now it's getting a bit creepy. Especially since it seems the only time you ever post in topics I do is to say something about me personally, not about the actual topic at hand. Someone here needs to explore other venues, but it's definitely not me.

Second off, ikillchicken and dtm, if you're refer to the American game, I do not blame you. There is a huge sticker on the American game that says it's for 6 year olds. Hense why all this stuff happens. But I'm sure you guys are smarter than to judge something based on it's 4Kids version, so I'll asume you're not.

Now, I went and grabbed my Devil's Gate Yu-Gi-Oh structure deck and my roommate's Izzet VS Golgari Magic the Gathering starter deck. Both of them say 13+ on the boxes. Teenagers and up. So I must conclude they're aimed at the same demographic. Well, okay, not the exact same, one is aimed at a Japanese audience primarily the other is aimed at an American audience primarily, but still. If you want to take it up with Konami on it not being for teenagers and above, you're more than welcome to. Hell, it took Konami years up until fairly recently to introduce a junior league for people under 13 to actually play. Before that they only focused on the older crowd. If anything, they're guilty of not appealing to their child audience. Not that I blame them too much, I don't know many kids who could probably play Yu-Gi-Oh! competitively; the mechanics and rulings are probably too complicated for them. The fact people like Minami Touya and Yu Hao Liou play to the level they do is pretty amazing.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:29 am Reply with quote
I would wager that ninety-five percent (no, let's be on the safe side and make it ninety) of those who watch Little Kuriboh's videos only have experience with the English Yu-Gi-Oh! show and TCG. Him calling it a "children's card game" is something his audience understands.

Besides, many of the characters in the show are still in high-school. While teens aged 15-17 are not what we normally consider to be children, they still aren't adults. So they are non-adults (children) playing a card game like it was Serious Business. Calling it a "children's card game" is accurate enough.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:31 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Well... first off, Hypeathon, I must admit the fact you take so much time following me around to every thread, and on top of that, to other forums was flattering at first, but now it's getting a bit creepy. Especially since it seems the only time you ever post in topics I do is to say something about me personally, not about the actual topic at hand. Someone here needs to explore other venues, but it's definitely not me.

Second off, ikillchicken and dtm, if you're refer to the American game, I do not blame you. There is a huge sticker on the American game that says it's for 6 year olds. Hense why all this stuff happens. But I'm sure you guys are smarter than to judge something based on it's 4Kids version, so I'll asume you're not.

Now, I went and grabbed my Devil's Gate Yu-Gi-Oh structure deck and my roommate's Izzet VS Golgari Magic the Gathering starter deck. Both of them say 13+ on the boxes. Teenagers and up. So I must conclude they're aimed at the same demographic. Well, okay, not the exact same, one is aimed at a Japanese audience primarily the other is aimed at an American audience primarily, but still. If you want to take it up with Konami on it not being for teenagers and above, you're more than welcome to. Hell, it took Konami years up until fairly recently to introduce a junior league for people under 13 to actually play. Before that they only focused on the older crowd. If anything, they're guilty of not appealing to their child audience. Not that I blame them too much, I don't know many kids who could probably play Yu-Gi-Oh! competitively; the mechanics and rulings are probably too complicated for them. The fact people like Minami Touya and Yu Hao Liou play to the level they do is pretty amazing.

That's a load of bullshit that Yugioh is rated 13+. How come all the games based on the card game in Japan are rated CERO A instead of CERO B? That would be false advertising, because you wouldn't be able to go and buy a Yugioh game if you weren't 13, but you could get a game, which is basically the same thing in video game form. Also, that age rating in Japan is rather arbitrary, if you ask me.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:06 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Second off, ikillchicken and dtm, if you're refer to the American game, I do not blame you. There is a huge sticker on the American game that says it's for 6 year olds. Hense why all this stuff happens.

You of all people should know that America has somewhat stricter standards about what is appropriate for kids (lord knows you complain about it enough). The fact that such edits exist doesn't mean Yugioh is actually not intended for kids in Japan. It just means there are cultural differences between the two countries.

(And for the record, Sword Don Zaloog is way cooler than Gun Don Zaloog Laughing)

Quote:
Now, I went and grabbed my Devil's Gate Yu-Gi-Oh structure deck and my roommate's Izzet VS Golgari Magic the Gathering starter deck. Both of them say 13+ on the boxes. Teenagers and up. So I must conclude they're aimed at the same demographic.

If your contention is that Yugioh is for 13 year olds...well, you're closer I think. I'd still say that is a bit high. Something like 8-13 is probably more accurate so they're evidently skewing toward the high end. But yeah, you're not wildly off base about Yugioh, you're just somewhat off about both Yugioh and Magic.

It doesn't surprise me to see a magic deck labeled 13+. I mean, it's not like a 13 year old couldn't play it or there is anything inappropriate for a 13 year old. So yeah, they're not going to slap a 16 or 18+ label on there. In my experience though, the vast majority of Magic players are in their later teens or into their early twenties. It's undoubtedly a game for more or less adult nerds rather than kids or younger teens.

Quote:
Hell, it took Konami years up until fairly recently to introduce a junior league for people under 13 to actually play. Before that they only focused on the older crowd.

This is true...for competitive play. But...

Quote:
If anything, they're guilty of not appealing to their child audience. Not that I blame them too much, I don't know many kids who could probably play Yu-Gi-Oh! competitively;

Obviously kids don't play competitively. That doesn't mean they aren't still the primary audience. You don't need to play competitive to be into Yugioh. Hell, you don't even need to entirely understand the rules. Not if you're a little kid anyway. It's enough for them to see the anime and want to cards. (Incidentally, this is why Magic doesn't need a cartoon to promote it. The primary audience, older teens and young adults, buy it for the game itself. Where as the primary audience for Yugioh buys the cards because they like the anime).

So yeah, don't try to BS someone who actually used to play the game. The last thing Konami cares about is "competitive" play. It's just an afterthought. The money maker is little kids and they don't care about that sort of thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3