• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Time Warner to Produce Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Hey....who's the dude using my good name? Flattery will get you points, LOL.

On to the Warner biz, I'd have to say it's a good and bad thing. I shall explain.

It's good in the respect that someone with more money might actually be able to give japanese animators a decent wage than they currently earn.

It's a bad thing because we all know that american culture is everywhere and sometimes we get so sick of not being able to escape it. Anime offers an insight into a different culture, invites you in to tell you stories and lets you leave to explore it's varied product. Pop culture gate crashes your tv on MTV etc, over stays it's welcome and won't let you get any sleep. Good luck to Warner if I'm wrong, I kinda like anime to be known more but on it's own merits without having to sell out to media corps (you know what I mean).

Adding to that I have a sneaky suspicion this might be to do with anime file sharing. As it currently stands japan lets most of the downloading slide, using it to find out what popular etc. Downloading anime isn't hurting u.s interests much at the moment. However if Time Warner start poking their fingers in too many anime pies and others follow suit, that then gives the likes of the MPAA cause to seek to protect Time Warners anime copyright. If this happens we could well see anime fansubs disappearing from the net or just going further underground.

Yes, I know "fansubs aren't a god giving right" as some god fearing anime fans say on here, but would you prefer to be fed less anime variety or more through fansubs? I could be easily wrong here too but if you think about it for a sec it makes sense. Take that with a pinch of salt mind.

Good luck to the anyway, maybe some good may come of it. We can only wait and see.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Good points on both sides, Onizuka.
Septeus7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

What I've seen of Samurai Champloo, aside from the first episode, was rather choppy & muddy. Genshiken was glaringly average, and Samurai 7 & Tsukihime were spotty at best. Fullmetal Alchemist wasn't even consistently great. And if you look at the larger scope of things, at your more "average" anime particularly from 2004 & 2005, you'll definitely see that animation quality has sunk horribly (especially when you compare it to stuff from 10+ years ago; the average TV series then looked much better than the average TV series now...too much reliance on computers to cut financial corners, methinks). It's not all bad, but the truly well done titles are in the vast, vast minority.

I am beginning to suspect that you completely blind or watching anime while ingesting narcotics. Are you seriously arguing that Lord of Lords Ryu is better animation than Full Metal Panic? Are you saying that Sailor Moon is better animation than Air? Irresponsible Captain Tylor is better animation than Last Exile? Or Ghost Sweeper Mikami is better than Shingetsutan Tsukihime. Is Crayon Shin-chan is better than Heat Guy J? Do you even have eyes? Don't compare OAVs to TV. Once you again to have shown yourself to be a complete ignoramus on this subject.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. I am tentatively excited about this, but I have low hopes that it'll be as good as it sounds. For one thing, they didn't mention what manga these will be based on. IF they are not based on manga, they could still be good, but there's a lot of bad anime out there with high production values, and so far all "anime" projects paid by the US that were NOT based on pre-existing Japanese series have kinda sucked.

One thing outsiders (read "suits") don't realize is that story plays as much of a part in anime's success as the animation style, so if they tag lame storylines to the series then it really doesn't matter how much money they squit all over it, it'll still suck.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Onizuka666 wrote:

Yes, I know "fansubs aren't a god giving right" as some god fearing anime fans say on here, but would you prefer to be fed less anime variety or more through fansubs? I could be easily wrong here too but if you think about it for a sec it makes sense. Take that with a pinch of salt mind.

Here's my take on the whole fansub thing. I have no problem with downloading unlicensed anime. At that point in a series life, it's the only way you can watch the show, and the only way you can reward the author for their work would be buying the R2s, which in most cases would have no subs, so would be completely useless (not to mention the cost); and you don't know if the series will be licensed in the future. Once it is licensed, however, what legitimate reasons are there to continue to produce/download fansubs? I can only think of two. 1. You are impatient 2. You do not want to have to pay. If someone can think of a truly legitimate reason to download licensed series, then I would very much like to hear it, because I can seriously only think of those two reasons.
Blues of Hadal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:40 pm Reply with quote
no arguing about fansubs here
issue at hand

all the japanese corps that fund all anime projects(various of course) let the artist do almost everythign they want not always you get crap series in japan trying to have mass appeal but just suck
and the same could happend here
but as someone pointed out
CN which is owned by time warner did big O second season and it was fine and also the work of the animatrix even thou i didn't like the whole thing it turned out fine
so if their just funding them so they can market the toys and the other junk, their just doing what those corps do
also you can't fansub this
the reasons are obvious(of course someone is)
when the show starts to come out theres gonna be enough info for you to decide if its worth a try and you'll be able to rent it(at least the first dvd) and buy the dvds at the same time(if they release it at the same time) they might do it a bit later just to so the Japanese public doesn't import it
thou i'll be grime about this and say only one will be able to be aired on AS and the others are gonna be crappy kid stuff but thats just me
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Blues of Hadal wrote:
no arguing about fansubs here

It's relevant to the discussion at hand.

What I'm wondering is how they plan on handling translation and dubbing for simultaneous release, and what impact it will have on DVD releases.
Blues of Hadal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:16 pm Reply with quote
do you want two pages of people expressing their feelings about fansub pro and con

anyway this is my assumption
that they'll do both of the voice work during production but i was also wondering about that
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:28 pm Reply with quote
herbkir wrote:
Remember, too, that Disney's acquisition of Studio Ghibli didn't destroy Ghibli as an anime institution.

I was just thinking of this as a perfect example and then I read your post.

I have to correct you on one thing though, Disney didn't buy Ghibli, they bought the rights to Ghibli's past titles.

They also co-funded Spirited Away. And there's the important part of the example, Disney co-funded Spirited Away, and was it crap? No, in fact, if you ask many Japanese, it was the best anime ever made.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Stueypark wrote:
No they couldn't. By US anti-monopoly laws no company can Create, Distribute, and Exhibit something.

If they create it and show it on their network, another company will have to distribute it.

Why do I keep hearing that false bit of BS.

That's only the case when a company has a monopoly. WB doesn't have a monopoly, so they are allowed to create, distribute and exhibit. They could even do direct to customer sales if they wanted.

Look at Dell as the perfect example of a company that does everything on their own from top to bottom.

Microsoft on the other hand wouldn't be allowed to do this, because they've been foudn to have a monopoly.

-t
Anji

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:33 pm Reply with quote
My wild guess is that Time Warner may be looking to build up a division that would be comparable to something like Marvel Comics. Didn't Time Warner recently add CPM along w/ its manga division to its portfolio recently? Therefore, along this line, TW would start building up a library of anime and manga, which it would test upon an American audience. Later on, they might try to spin off a live-action movie off a particularly popular title, aka a Spiderman. Therefore, I would guess that TW would pick titles that have movie potential especially superhero/action stuff or things that could be spun into something like Harry Potter. So probably more of a lean towards shounen titles that could easily crossover into an American audience like Cowboy Bepop as somebody has mentioned. Or maybe things like Berserk or even Beck. I'm just wildly guessing here.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Anji wrote:
Didn't Time Warner recently add CPM along w/ its manga division to its portfolio recently?

Nope. While I'm certain that would have made JOD a very happy man, it didn't happen.

CPM recently signed a distribution deal with WEA, that's the only thing that has happened at CPM.

Manga Entertainment and FUNimation were both sold to bigger companies, but not Time Warner.

Time Warner own Turner Broadcasting, which owns Cartoon Network though...

-t
Zopwx2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I know many of you might disagree with me, but I'm still holding out hope that this could mean a 3rd season for The Big O. The one they didn't make becuase of a supposed lack of funds.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:02 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Anji wrote:
Didn't Time Warner recently add CPM along w/ its manga division to its portfolio recently?

Nope. While I'm certain that would have made JOD a very happy man, it didn't happen.

CPM recently signed a distribution deal with WEA, that's the only thing that has happened at CPM.

Manga Entertainment and FUNimation were both sold to bigger companies, but not Time Warner.

Time Warner own Turner Broadcasting, which owns Cartoon Network though...

-t

While this is certainly true, Time Warner does own D.C. comics which has it's own division for manga now (being published under CMX) which has the rights to series like Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne and Tenjou Tenge. If they play their cards right, it will be just a matter of time before they are as sizable in the market as ADV, Geneon, and the like.

It's not like this isn't their first foray into international dealings, so I'm sure it will turn out just fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hkrok76

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:36 am Reply with quote
let a man hold on to his bleak outlook on life ^^

I know all the pros for this that everyone's been saying. Still...the whole "japanophile" argument doesn't work. We like ANIME. We like japanese animation. Anime as it is used the english lexicon is meant to mean japanese animation. Things that look similar can also be listed as anime, but in it's true essence, it's not. teen titans is not anime, no matter how much the creators might take influence from anime. Shows made for the US viewing public is not anime, because although it might be made in Japan, it is not made for a Japanese audience. with that said.

Concurrent release is cool. The fact that Time Warner is putting money into the industry is cool. The contention comes from the fact that Time Warner is putting in a LOT of money. 190,000 USD per episode is a crap load of money. FLCL was around 150,000 an ep, and it's an OVA. So saying Time Warner won't want anything to do with planning and creation is like saying FOX is making more Family Guy because they see the creative merit of the show. Business is all about money. Television is a business. If Time Warner wants to make the big money, they'll probably want to do something a bit more all-encompassing. I'd sooner expect more shows like D.I.C.E, pokemon, digimon, beyblade, and duel monsters then Cowboy Bebop, Paranoia Agent, or even Full Metal Alchemist. They want to make a crap load on merchandise. They need a show with a crap load of merchandise.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Make your money! If it's good I WILL watch. If it's not, then I don't care, because I hope to god I still have the shows that I want to watch (Japanese Animation). If not, I have decades of material I can go back to.

The whole fansub thing...they won't sub shows that suck hardcore, they probably won't sub shows that come out on television in the US first or concurrently. You don't see Grrl Power being distributed...I don't hear much of that show period. Fansubbers aren't the devil. There's the few, but they do it because they like the show, know people like the show, and people probably don't want to wait years to see the show. (Ofcourse people will then focus in on my first post here...) If it's a good show, I would rather watch it in Japanese. I am the so called "purist" and I love it. I'd rather watch, listen and revel in the original then watch, listen, and twitch to an interpretation of the original. Sure the Japanese use "anime" voices, as does the english dubbers, but I don't care. I like the Japanese "anime" voices a hell of a lot better than the english "anime" voices. Ok, I think I'm done for now. ok guys, FLAME ON!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6