• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Super Robot Island: Final

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darcerin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Slightly off topic, anytime I need a pick me up, "Transformers Evo" and "Hikari he no countdown" are my go-to songs. Jam Project is my absolute favorite group band from Japan, hands down.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Just curious, but was the late eighties show Dangaioh ever covered. Think it is part of the super robot genre.
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote
Beast King GoLion is one of the most dark and gruesome yet most entertaining giant robot shows I've ever seen. Seeing this will completely change your perspective on Voltron.

Gaogaigar was decent but holy sh*t Gaogaigar Final was one of the most supremely epic Giant Robot endings EVER.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:13 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Praising Mazinkaizer SKL and dissing Queen's Blade is pretty hilarious, considering that their functionally basically the same damn thing
Your right, there's nothing seperateing a show that is Hot Blooded as all hell get out and a steaming pile of crap which, and let's be generous here, has only been allowed to exist on the graces of erroneous lust.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:18 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Praising Mazinkaizer SKL and dissing Queen's Blade is pretty hilarious, considering that their functionally basically the same damn thing
Your right, there's nothing seperateing a show that is Hot Blooded as all hell get out and a steaming pile of crap which, and let's be generous here, has only been allowed to exist on the graces of erroneous lust.

I find it hilarious how many professed Super Robot fans get entirely freaked out over boobies.

I mean its not like they haven't been a long standing part of the tradition.

Look, both Mazinkaizer SKL and Queen's Blade are pure, unadulterated fanservice. Its the very reason both exist.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:48 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Either way, who is even keeping super robots going besides the like of Obari these days?

You mean apart from all the fans who carry burning hot-blooded passion with them in their manly hearts so that the spirit of Super Robot Anime never truly fades away?

(Did I say that correctly?)

Um, well, there's the currently-airing kid-orientated Gyrozetter . . . but I don't have anything else.

Oh, wait. What's Eureka 7: AO? Like the original series it's not a 'traditional' Super Robot show, but it isn't a Real Robot show either.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
For me I didn't start getting into the old robot genre until 'Tranzor-Z' aka 'Mazinger-Z'. Saw it on a visit with my grandmother to Chicago. At the same time 'Robotech' was also airing (it had yet to air in NYC). But Mazinger-Z amazed me because never had I seen a robot show that had female robots shooting missiles out of their breast sockets? I'm surprised the TV censors allowed it to pass. If was my first exposure to the man with a twisted sense of humor with a face like a cherub, Go Nagai.

By the time 'Voltron' aka 'Go Lion' came along I was watching profusely. I found that many people who grew up watching 'Voltron' with the lion brigade could never stop talking about it. All throughout HS, the guys clamored to the mouse hijinks, hammy acting of Prince Lothar and "form blazing sword" more than 'Volton 1', aka 'Dairugger XV'. I'll admit I couldn't get into that one either but then again I was never a fan of space opera type shows.

I continued to follow the giant robot fad all throughout AIC's rule. From 'Iczer-1', to 'Dangaioh' being one my faves onward to [/b]'Hikarion'[/b], 'Zeorymer', and 'Daimaju Gekito Hagane no Oni', aka 'Metal Demon'. Then during my college years a fellow started introducing me to more OS robots. 'Mazinger-Z', 'Getter Robo' and 'Grandizer'. That continued my path of appreciated of anything Go Nagai.

Giant Robo, is a beautiful tragedy. It's only got one robot, but still a awesome piece. Great characters, story and animation. Then you have 'Kishin Heidan', another cool animated piece. If I had to put a robot show at the top of my list it would have to be Giant Robo for pure artistry. Because of that OS flavor of designs and top notch animation. I'd been searching for other animated pieces with that caliber.

Big O is another favorite of mine. It's Batman with a robot. Big O is sort of in the realm of what a ROBOT is. It's not a super acrobat like the Eva robots and those that would come after them. Hell, even Dangaioh had moves. But that was the whole novelty of the show, robots that used steam power or some type of fusion powered reactor. They seem huge and clunky but somehow they manage to win in a fight.

Finally came 'GaoGaigar'. I had been curious about this show for years ever since a friend brought it by. I couldn't borrow it from him because he hadn't watched it yet. It was some years later that I saw an ep. of 'FINAL' and my mouth almost fell off. But in order to appreciated the series I needed to go back and watch all 49. It was worth it. And sure it was somewhat a MOTW show but the hyperbole, suspense and cast of characters and their development was what kept me watching. It was like a new and crazy take on the whole combination robot genre. Only GGG was just plain "sick". It was enough to make your TV explode. FINAL had even more hyperbole. I own both boxsets for GGG and I'm awaiting the day FINAL one day gets a release.

Godannar was probably the last series I'd own that touches the OS flavor and combining it with something new. But sometimes I felt like I was missing something. But I enjoyed it only because Kimtaka's designs, plus, the music score by veteran OS robot composer Chumei Watanabe, and OS vocalists Ichiro Mizuki (Mazinger-Z, Great, Dangaioh, Great, Getter, etc...) and Mitsuko Horie (Mazinger-Z, Dangaioh, Candy Candy, etc...). Of course today there aren't many robot shows that sell to an older crowd. Evangelion is still holding that crown. Even with the insane hyperbole of Gunbuster 2 and Gurren Lagann (which WILL cause your TV to explode) Eva still holds the title. At least Mazinger - Z and some of the older robot shows are at least getting some attention. But nowhere near the level Mazinger-Z gets.

So of my favorite robot shows, I'd have to pick Giant Robo at #1 and Gunbuster at #2 in features. the feature category and Evangelion at #1, Big O at #2 and GaoGaiGar at #3 in the TV show category. And yes, while many say that Eva is overrated and it's either awesome or it sucks, why did you rate it high? Well, I'm rating it according to the level of action or how it's stands by itself regardless of whether it's a mess or not. I really don't care about all that idol worship on a show. Dangaioh was a mess too but you don't hear anyone pointing out the flaws in that show now do you? Yet I enjoyed it.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
In regards to robot faces, I think its fine, but having lips on a robot look damn creepy. Mouthguards are where its at.

And I think I've mentioned before, I LOVE Super (and Real) Robots to death. The fact that the well has dried up for the most part in regards to the older stuff makes me pretty sad, as some of the old as dirt shows won't see the light of day over here, hopefully Discotek will remedy that in the future.

Godannar is an absolute blast, the fanservice is at just the right level to not be obnoxious, and the characters are more than just out and out archtypes...if only a little. And "THIS IS OUR TRIPLE DRIVE" just brings a smaile to my face whenever I thin k about it.

Super Robot Wars? Greatest game franchise ever. I own them all, so YOUR argument is invalid!
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:18 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Conan-san wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

I find it hilarious how many professed Super Robot fans get entirely freaked out over boobies.

I like my boobs just as much as the next sane person; not full of acid or attached to people who are more likely to wet themselves in combat than be awesome.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I think most of my personal favorites fall into the robot genre. My all time is Gunbuster. It's hard to numerically rank the ones below it, but I'll list: Gunbuster 2, both Super Robot Wars Original Generations adaptations, Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, First Gundam, Zeta, and both 0080 and 0083. These are all "must have" for a collection in my opinion. Awesome representation of ROBOT.
Kamen Rider Bennu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
UFO Robo Grendizer was my first true introduction to anime and ever since then I've had a fanboy addiction to anything to had to do with giant robots.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2