• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Dragon Age

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
I guess that's because you haven't seen the other half of the series. Dragonaut is pure garbage.

...Says the person who apparently watched ALL of Dragonaut. Jeez, you guys, I can't believe the pain tolerance of some of you. I can barely take 6 episodes of something that (supposedly, I haven't seen it) terrible, let alone 24. Do you drink vodka with this or light up the bong or what? I'm serious! I am intrigued every time I read a "I watched 2 seasons of [insert title] and BOY, was it awful!" statement and I would love to know what your thought process is. Perpetual optimism?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes you have to do it, Cloe, because if you don't, the people who like garbage come back at you with "It gets better," and this way you can explain exactly how it doesn't.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
I guess that's because you haven't seen the other half of the series. Dragonaut is pure garbage.

...Says the person who apparently watched ALL of Dragonaut. Jeez, you guys, I can't believe the pain tolerance of some of you. I can barely take 6 episodes of something that (supposedly, I haven't seen it) terrible, let alone 24. Do you drink vodka with this or light up the bong or what? I'm serious! I am intrigued every time I read a "I watched 2 seasons of [insert title] and BOY, was it awful!" statement and I would love to know what your thought process is. Perpetual optimism?

Personally, I feel I can not like something if I only give it a small chance.

However, I can only HATE something if I manage to watch it all.

Non anime example: Recently, my friends were getting pissy at me for bashing 3Oh!3 based off of only a few songs I'd heard. So I listened to the entire Want album several times. SEVERAL TIMES.

And I can now honestly say I despise it, rather than just not like it.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Sometimes you have to do it, Cloe, because if you don't, the people who like garbage come back at you with "It gets better," and this way you can explain exactly how it doesn't.

QFT, thats bout how I see it.

Once I start watching something (ESPECIALLY if it was recommended to me) I have to finish it for that very reason. Sometimes I am pleasantly surprised and it DOES actually get better, but more often than not I just win the right to say "I hated this series" without having to hear "well you didn't finish it/give it a chance!".

Of course, upon hearing I DID watch an entire garbage series, all I get is "well you just don't understand..."

I found the only winning move is to not even acknowledge their existence.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:09 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Quark wrote:
Some of us girls were unfortunate enough to have to start wearing a bra in elementary school. It's a rarity, it's embarassing, but believe me, it happens.

I know. I think it's the hormones in milk! Er... that's a conspiracy theory, anyway. There are always training bras, and one would think Japan may have plenty of AAAA cups or whatever. The scene was played for laughs - had it been written by an actual girl, maybe it could have captured the bizarre poignancy of purchasing a first bra, or really, any bra at all.

"... had it been written by an actual girl..."

Or how about dated an "actual girl." One who wasn't CGI/2D from an eroge... hey, hold on a second... Coincidence? I think not.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

Here, Here! I'd have thrown in the towel long before that. I love anime, but my time is too valuable to waste when there are only so many hours in the day and other demands made on my time.

I can see if I were stuck on a flight to Auckland, NZ from LAX or SeaTac and that's all I had, but... I'm not masochistic enough for 24 episodes of painful viewing of any series, or even 6 episodes.

I could see gutting something out on the promise that it does get better later on, but the recommendation to do so must be from a trustworthy source or from an opinion I trust/value (especially if it were recommended for me by an afore mentioned trusted/valued source).
rinmackie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Comment removed

Mod note: The loli discussion is over, no matter how benign or well-meaning your comments are.
animeboy12

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

More like perpetual apathy, well that's how I see most of my anime. That being said, I'm probably in the minority but I didn't find dragonaut to be bad per say, not good, not even ok, but not bad. Just mediocre. If dragonaut was a day of the week it would be a Tuesday, not a Monday, but not even a wednesday either, if you can agree with that analogy. Either way I'm not the type to throw around the word bad like it's going out of style. When I say a anime series is bad I mean it's BAD. I'm talking Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun,or mad bull 34, you know some really bad titles.

Even then though I still don't really care, I mean I finished them after all so that say something at least. If I'm having a bad time with an anime series then I stop watching it there and then. I'll say my opinion on my time with the series but I'm not so full of myself to make full blown judgments on the series as a whole. I think that why you get a lot of the "well you didn't finish it/give it a chance!" people almost never comment on their time with the series instead it's always "One episode of a (12/13/26/51) series makes me justified".

oh, as with everyone else I thoroughly enjoyed this shelf life I may not a agree about popotan, but that's unimportant. It's also refreshing to we a dragonaut review that doesn't say the word breasts every sentence (that would give people false hope). Alas I can't wait for the next one
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Perpetual optimism?

Heheh, Stockholm Syndrome?

There was something (I can't remember what) that I aggressively marathoned over a weekend and eventually grew to like, and a friend accused me of having Stockholm Syndrome.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I completely disagree with what's said about Popotan in this column, but whatever, opinions etc.

I watched Popotan about a month ago, and enjoyed it greatly. The ending to the series brought me to tears, I think only a truly wonderful anime can accomplish that.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this much storm about Popotan?

I was perplexed by the nudity every episode. The story was better than many other series out there, and there were a few (maybe 3?) decent episodes, but the pointless nudity kept getting thrown in my face.

And for no reason I might add, not adding anything to the small glimmer of a story that they had going.

If this is what you want, there are several good Hentai titles that will fit the bill 1000x better (Akiba Girls).

Full disclosure, I bought this based off of bargain bin pricing making it a near push rental cost vs purchase cost, and the trailer on a few old Pioneer discs being so bizarre.

I have zero desire to watch again.
Quark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

It makes absolutely no sense to stick with a crappy fansubbed anime, since it's there, it's free, if it sucks, who cares? But, if you've shelled out hard-earned cash for that bad anime, sometimes you just have to watch it all.
For example, I absolutely hated Nadesico, but since I paid $75 for it, I forced myself to marathon through the last 1/4 of the show so I could get it over with and watch something good. The show I watched after was so, so enjoyable, in comparison.
Bad anime - making the good anime look amazing.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Having seen all of Dragonaut, I thought it wasn't horrible. It wasn't good, but it wasn't horrible, either.

I know of all the comments about the boob size on some of the characters in the series, and while, as I said in a different ANN review on this series, I am not a fan of monsterously oversized boobs, in this case there is at least an internally consistant reason for it. (That reason will be made known late in the 2nd half of the series.)

At least I got the feeling that the makers of this series tried hard. They didn't just phone it in, IMO. Unfortunately, all that effort resulted in a mediocre series at best. It's kind of sad, really, but there it is.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
And Zac - I thought it was funny. Maybe JairStout needs a humour transplant.

Are you trying to be funny also? Because you're not. But now that I think about it, my opinion has already been deemed worthless by your all-powerful genius comedian friend Zac, so say what you want.
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
Quark wrote:
And Zac - I thought it was funny. Maybe JairStout needs a humour transplant.

Are you trying to be funny also? Because you're not. But now that I think about it, my opinion has already been deemed worthless by your all-powerful genius comedian friend Zac, so say what you want.

It's Zac talking like Yosemite Sam. Have you listened to the ANNcast? Just knowing what he sounds like and thinking of him talking on those words; I don't care who you are, that's funny right there... GIT-R-DONE!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11