• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Aria the Scarlet Ammo BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:15 am Reply with quote
No-one going to comment on "butei"?

Anyway, Theron's list of "eye-rollingly ridiculous" elements read like standard anime schtick to me.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:22 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
No-one going to comment on "butei"?

Anyway, Theron's list of "eye-rollingly ridiculous" elements read like standard anime schtick to me.

the way they are handled they are very bad trust me. the childhood friend was such a raving lunatic I wanted her to get shot by the almost equally annoying female lead, and his power.... Rolling Eyes YA
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:32 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
The anime itself was made only as an advertisement for the light novels, since you could easily pick it up in the 4th volume and continue the story. Many anime are made like this without explaining plot holes, because those plot holes aren't supposed to be explained during that part of the story.

Marvel makes 'em like that, they'd be shot. Laughing
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:34 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
The anime itself was made only as an advertisement for the light novels, since you could easily pick it up in the 4th volume and continue the story. Many anime are made like this without explaining plot holes, because those plot holes aren't supposed to be explained during that part of the story.

adaptations need to stand on their own unless they know they are going to get another season etc.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:37 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

adaptations need to stand on their own unless they know they are going to get another season etc.

I think Aria stands fairly well on its own. Its certainly not very good, but its not incomprehensible or anything.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:39 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

I think Aria stands fairly well on its own. Its certainly not very good, but its not incomprehensible or anything.

I am just tried of the read the XXXXXXXX argument to explain a plot hole in an adaptation.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:46 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Precisely.

I realise that many of these shows wouldn't even be made if they weren't to be an advertisement for the Manga. But a bad advertisement can be worse than none at all.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I am just tried of the read the XXXXXXXX argument to explain a plot hole in an adaptation.

Well yeah, its a stupid argument. There's no real reason to try and defend Hidan no Aria on its merits. The only thing that got me through the show was Riko, who I thought had a pretty interesting story and was in general a lot of fun.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:26 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Well yeah, its a stupid argument. There's no real reason to try and defend Hidan no Aria on its merits. The only thing that got me through the show was Riko, who I thought had a pretty interesting story and was in general a lot of fun.

was she the childhood friend who was a lunatic?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:43 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Yeah, the Lupin descendent with the prehensile hair and fancy underwear.
kanechin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:45 am Reply with quote
checked for the loli-loli is annoying, checked again for mention of Lupin-failed again.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Yeah, the Lupin descendent with the prehensile hair and fancy underwear.

spoilers even for bad shows.
I thought she was the next door neighbor not her.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:16 am Reply with quote
The concept is definitely over the top, but it could have been good. What really kills it for me though is Aria. I'm pretty much completely sick of tsundere loli leads who abuse the male lead. That trope has been done to death as far as I'm concerned. Aria was almost completely unsympathetic. What's so fun or interesting about abusive little girls? At this point, if you can watch the English dub and guess that Rie Kugimiya is the one who played the role in Japanese, then it's a very bad sign IMHO. She's done some good work to be sure, but too many of the roles that she's played are horrible characters - this one included.

I actually would have liked to see a lot more of the childhood friend, but she too seemed to be too much of an over-used trope in how she acted. This show could have been good, but it just has too many overdone tropes which are played way too straight, and none of what they do is enough to make the ridiculously over the top concept workable or enjoyable. The sad thing is that you could probably take the basic show and plot descriptions and make something really cool out of them. Too bad that they didn't.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:24 am Reply with quote
Okay, I actually read the synopsis this time before reading the review out of curiosity and........... am I the only one who thinks that the synopsis itself sounds like something an obssessed teenage anime fan would write? It's written like "so the world takes place in the near future and this character s forced to do this, but then meets a tsundere who he works together with. There's also a childhood friend who has a crush on the main hero and another girl who seems to have a crush on the main hero, but actually works for a secret organization and is a long-time rival or the main tsundere heroine since they're both descendents of two historical figures!"

Anyone else noticed that about the synopsis? It really sounds like a teenage anime fan wrote this show! I mean a lot of anime shows these days sound just like that if I read a synopsis for them. But it's like they're not even trying to hide how amateur-sounding this show is! Laughing

It's like you're cramming in many ideas and just leaving them as story elements that you forgot you're suppose to craft these story elements and ideas into a truthfully-compelling story. Cramming in a conflict between characters, cramming in a vague self-conflict amongst each character, throwing in plot elements, not bothering to give the main characters a goal. Seriously, it's like I really wouldn't need to watch the show itself (and I saw 5 episodes before dropping it) to know how many problems there are with it.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:47 am Reply with quote
Well, Aria isn't the worst show I've seen. Sadly enough, it's not even in the bottom ten. But Christ, it is a bad show. I put it on the same level as Butt Attack Punisher Girl Guataman, but that OVA was stupidly fun. This show is just stupid. The show feels like it was written by someone who had read of a bunch of good, classic characters and stories, and lifted them wholesale into his own story without understanding what made them good or how they worked. What I'm trying to say is the story is like a watching a bad fan-fic. That's it exactly. Aria is a bad fanfic. I feel for all that had to work on this show, I wouldn't be able to stand it. The whole final boss being spoiler[Dracula] who transforms into a spoiler[werewolf] for some reason (Sweet merciful Jesus, what the hell were they thinking? Couldn't they have read Bram Stoker first? Or at least wikipedia?) just killed a show that had already fell into irrecoverable territory. And quite frankly, Kugimiya-san was terrible. I blame the poor script, but I also kinda think she stopped giving a damn midway through.

Hypeathon wrote:
Anyone else noticed that about the synopsis? It really sounds like a teenage anime fan wrote this show! I mean a lot of anime shows these days sound just like that if I read a synopsis for them. But it's like they're not even trying to hide how amateur-sounding this show is

It's not just the synopsis, mate. They entire show is that way. An amateurish, poorly plotted, jumbled mess.

Also, what the hell was up with the whole "I'm afraid of lightning" schtick? Is there anybody in the world older than 7 that is afraid of lightning? What possessed the author to come up with that idea? "I need something to make Aria seem weak and helpless. I know! She'll be afraid of lightning! It's brillant!" Personally, I think it was part of a scheme to turn Aria not just into a loli-character, but an actually loli, with a mental age of 10 or so. Well, they succeeded.

I can't believe Funi will make money on this one. And I have to ask who on their side went after this title. And did they watch the show first?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7