• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Aria the Scarlet Ammo BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
but I'd rather have a pure adaption of the source material which keeps the potential open for new seasons rather than try to force everything in and have anime filler ends. Filler ends are probably the worst thing you can do.

I agree. My favorite example is High School of the Dead. If I am not mistaken, the anime was a straight adaption of about the first 20 chapters of the manga. If the manga (hopefully) resumes one day, a second season would smoothly pick up where season one left.

I am not a big fan of anime filler ending (and filler in general). With 50-75 chapters manga, I would prefer a straight adaptation and hope for a couple of more seasons. But for a 100-150 episodes manga, I will rather see a filler ending (hopefully descent) than wait years and years for something like 5 seasons.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I watched on the internet the first few episodes, and then when it was offered by Funimation, I picked up the BD/DVD for it.

I liked the series, yeah, it has problems as the reviewer picked out. But for me it was a nice bit of escapism. I would love to be at that school learning gun kata's and having quasi police powers.

I think all these over the top negative opinions are the members trying to out do the reviewer. So if you don't care about all the typical ANN forum arguments of shows, give Aria the Scarlet Ammo a try online, and if you like buy it.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
The whole final boss being spoiler[Dracula] who transforms into a spoiler[werewolf] for some reason (Sweet merciful Jesus, what the hell were they thinking? Couldn't they have read Bram Stoker first? Or at least wikipedia?)

Actually, you are the one who's ignorant. I'm from Romania, and the folk tales about the vampire lord, Vlad Tepes, state that, as a vampire, one of his powers is to turn into a giant wolf. So yeah, that part was correct.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Melanchthon wrote:
The whole final boss being spoiler[Dracula] who transforms into a spoiler[werewolf] for some reason (Sweet merciful Jesus, what the hell were they thinking? Couldn't they have read Bram Stoker first? Or at least wikipedia?)

Actually, you are the one who's ignorant. I'm from Romania, and the folk tales about the vampire lord, Vlad Tepes, state that, as a vampire, one of his powers is to turn into a giant wolf. So yeah, that part was correct.

A lot of times myths about one thing get split up into multiple separate myths. so people don't recognize them when they come back to being one. the myths about vlad tepes (not minai or however her name was spelled). are varied and plentiful. they do indicate he was the first though.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Re vamp/wolf, we also saw that in Black Blood Brothers, so it would seem to be a thing, now anyway.

RyanSaotome wrote:
You can't have it both ways, but I'd rather have a pure adaption of the source material which keeps the potential open for new seasons rather than try to force everything in and have anime filler ends. Filler ends are probably the worst thing you can do.

Since most adaptations DON'T get sequels, I'd prefer an anime ending.

Anyway, I don't see why it should prevent the making of sequels. Just spend a minute flashing back to the "alternate" ending, then carry on from there. I think most people would go with that; certainly preferable to "Fruits Basket anime had divergent plot point, therefore no more Fruits Baskest anime EVAAAR".

(Is that how you spell EVAAAR?)
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
The worst is like with Zero no Tsukaima, where they killed off a character in a filler ending then brought him back later since he was part of the novel story again like nothing happened.
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I heard a lot of the fans of the novels actually hated the anime because J.C. staff supposedly pulled a Umineko treatment for the series. I dropped the series it was really bad. though I may go back and watch the troll subs that have heard are far better then the actual series. shame Funi couldn't have done a punch up dub for a series that could have actually used it.

They didn't. It was a good adaptation. Well, good enough. It didn't do a disservice to the source material.
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I am just tried of the read the XXXXXXXX argument to explain a plot hole in an adaptation.

Well yeah, its a stupid argument. There's no real reason to try and defend Hidan no Aria on its merits. The only thing that got me through the show was Riko, who I thought had a pretty interesting story and was in general a lot of fun.

You seem to have mistyped Reki.
RyanSaotome wrote:
Girls und Panzer is projected to be the big seller of the Fall season based on the preorder rankings, and thats another waifu factory show. Chuunibyou will likely be #2.

If you're averse to the genre, it's hard to tell just how much fun and sincerity the creators are having (or at least expressing) in those shows. The attention to tanks, military history - the goddamn music which samples real military themes and is constantly uplifting and fun - I'm not saying otaku aren't buying the show for the cute girls doing cute things, but Girls und Panzer clearly has serious effort put into it.
Chuunibyou is the same, except the difference is that it's terrible. This is my opinion and therefore it is fact.
The American Average

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
this show sounds like like another lazy JC staff anime but eh, i have seen much though
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
The attention to tanks, military history ... Girls und Panzer clearly has serious effort put into it.

LOL, no. Otherwise they wouldn't be showing that tanks can be repaired and restored in a day, let alone the girls instantly picking up how to operate them. And the show deliberately ignores how 99% of military history has involved males.

Try again next Anime.

jymmy wrote:
Chuunibyou is the same, except the difference is that it's terrible.

Actually, that show is actually interesting and fun and doesn't have utterly stupid writing like Girls und Panzer (who the hell lets amateurs use real ammunition in populated areas?), so there's no contest.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

LOL, no. Otherwise they wouldn't be showing that tanks can be repaired and restored in a day, let alone the girls instantly picking up how to operate them. And the show deliberately ignores how 99% of military history has involved males.

Yes, because we know that girls can never do things that males do!

Also lets keep in mind that this takes place in a world where spoiler[entire cities traverse the ocean atop giant aircraft carriers], so yeah.

Also, do you want to restart the discussion about your inability to handle fantastic realism?
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Yes, because we know that girls can never do things that males do!

Of course they can. I never said that they couldn't. You're missing the point. This is a show where boys apparently dislike tanks and all tank crews are exclusively females. Surely even you can see the inherent problem in that.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Also lets keep in mind that this takes place in a world where spoiler[entire cities traverse the ocean atop giant aircraft carriers], so yeah.

Which has absolutely no bearing on why males in that universe don't operate tanks.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Also, do you want to restart the discussion about your inability to handle fantastic realism?

Do you want to instead discuss how incapable you are at reading (or even glancing at) my personal Anime list? Seriously dude, I've told you time and time again to look at the damn list; I keep it public for a reason. If you ever did look at it you'd see that there are plenty of shows I've rated highly which have absurd premises or silly elements.

The issue with Girls und Panzer is not that there is a universe where high-school girls operate tanks and battle one another. That's a perfectly fine premise for a show, it really is. The problem is that only girls operate tanks. Also, as I mentioned before, they use live ammunition in residential areas and against one another, can operate the tanks without any prior training (in fact, none was even offered), and the tanks were repaired and restored overnight instead of the months it would have taken.

There comes a point at which absurdity stops being a sign of creativity and starts being just plain bad writing.

So how about you stop making factually incorrect blanket statements that are really thinly-disguised ad hominem attacks? You can do that much, surely.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
I find GuP's premise and world much easier to swallow than something like Library War, where we have two sanctioned factions fighting over books also with live ammunition in civilian areas. As for "operation without prior training", WWII era tanks aren't really that complex. They're also in a club specifically for tank operation, in a society/world where it's a common hobby for girls, hence why Yukari, Miho, and Rommel should already know what they're doing. On top of that, we're given an entire episode showing how the drivers and others familiarize themselves with their roles "move sticks and the treads respond" or "turn this to rotate turret". What really matters is how good the tank crew gets, how fast they can load, aim, fire, and reload.
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
jymmy wrote:
The attention to tanks, military history ... Girls und Panzer clearly has serious effort put into it.

Try again next Anime.

jymmy wrote:
Chuunibyou is the same, except the difference is that it's terrible.

Actually, that show is actually interesting and fun and doesn't have utterly stupid writing like Girls und Panzer (who the hell lets amateurs use real ammunition in populated areas?), so there's no contest.

Except I don't think it's interesting or fun and therefore it isn't. QED.
Amateurs using live ammunition and picking up skills quickly is part of the stupidity you buy into where you watch a show where the concept is that tank-based combat is a feminine, sophisticated art practiced by women.
Quote:
the show deliberately ignores how 99% of military history has involved males.

I think this line here shows how you're looking at it in the wrong way. The viewer doesn't want a realistic anime but the exact ways in which the anime is unrealistic are built right into the concept.
The target audience wants to watch a show with cute girls in it. Thus, males are ignored. Fixating on this is just missing the point.
The girls pick up tank-fighting surprisingly quickly; a tank is not an airplane. It's not that complicated. They don't do that well, either. They almost fall off a bridge, I recall. They're amateurs with an experienced leader who lets them defeat other amateurs. After that point, they begin training.
Quote:
tanks can be repaired and restored in a day

I have no idea whether this is accurate or not. Since I'm not a military nerd, I don't care either. Though it is worth mentioning that they needed a tune-up initially and they don't exactly get trashed after every fight.

These girls aren't fighting in a war. This isn't a serious, dramatic anime concerning life and death. This is essentially a sports/slice of life anime.

When Amuro hops into the Gundam, he totally sucks and barely survives due to the Gundam's incredible stats.
When Shinji hops into the Evangelion, he just plain loses and spoiler[his mummy] wins the fight for him.
When these girls hop into a tank, we don't want to see them struggling and training for eight episodes, we want to see them do surprisingly well and gain real skills through hard work (preferably off-screen) later.

Girls und Panzer is ridiculous. It's stupid. But in the right way.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

There comes a point at which absurdity stops being a sign of creativity and starts being just plain bad writing.

Except its not bad writing. Some of it is stuff you don't know (because it hadn't been explained yet) or things that just don't bear that much thought.

Is them fixing up the tanks overnight kinda silly? Yeah, but its also an incredibly minor issue. Would there have been anything gained from it being a week? What difference would it actually make other than to satiate your desire for "realism"?

Basically everything else you are whining about has good or at least plausible-within-the-setting explanation.

And the bit about the aircraft carriers is to point out how divergent the world of Girls und Panzer is from our own, without beating us over the head with it.

I would also suggest reading this blogpost by John Sato, "Why Girls und Panzer hasn't Tanked yet"
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:19 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

I would also suggest reading this blogpost by John Sato, "Why Girls und Panzer hasn't Tanked yet"

Wow, I think I love this show even more after reading this. Thanks, Fencedude.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7