• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Aria the Scarlet Ammo BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:16 am Reply with quote
So basically what we want is an anime about an all male tank crew who aren't allowed to use live ammo and who after the opening action spend the rest of the series waiting for the tank to come back from the shop.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:45 am Reply with quote
LOL, no.

All female tank crew fighting other all-female tank crews? I'm all on board for that. But don't justify the fact that they're all-female by saying that no males touch tanks at all. In trying to solve one problem they've created a bigger one. In fact, all-female tank crews are easily explained by the fact that the school is girls-only, and they're fighting other girls-only schools (at least for the first battle). That means there wasn't even a problem in the first place.

Of course using live ammo in a built-up area is stupid. What happens if a round pierces right through a building and kills someone? In fact, using tanks themselves in a built-up area is dangerous; what happens if they run over a toddler? Confine all battles to a designated zone far away from people. Which is what they did at first, but then allowed the tanks to move the battle to the carrier; insert Picard facepalm here.
Give the tanks paintball rounds, then use judges to decide if a hit is critical or not. If the show wanted to get all technical, it could have used sensors hooked up to computers; if the sensor detects a hit from a dummy round in a critical place, the computers then auto-disable the tank (or even just a part of the tank). No need for human judges at all.

Finally, the show did not need to have the first practice battle take place just days after the tanks were found. There could have been a period of a few months where the teams restored their tanks and trained in them; this could have been covered in a single episode using some montages. Allow for a couple of weeks between each battle for repairs and analysing the next opponent, but of course that fortnight can be covered in less than half-an-episode. Or, if the director wants, several episodes. It's a tried and true formula that was perfected years ago; you think Sports shows just have nothing but battles? You think they don't have downtime for character development and training?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:53 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
You think they don't have downtime for character development and training?

You act as if the show has unlimited time. One thing I like a lot about Garupan is how briskly it moves.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:13 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
You think they don't have downtime for character development and training?

You act as if the show has unlimited time. One thing I like a lot about Garupan is how briskly it moves.

The first six episodes of Bakuman 3 have covered over a year of the characters' lives, and the show is still amazing. It's possible to cover a heck of a lot in not many episodes while still keeping things clear and tidy (as opposed to badly-done timeskips; no-one loves those).

If you'd read my post closely you'd have noticed how I even gave examples of how Girls und Panzer could cover - using formulas perfected over twenty years ago in the Sports genre - a lot of time without dragging things out. After all, I was responding to eyeresist's inference that the show would have been boring and glacially-paced if it took the characters weeks to do something. No it wouldn't, because we the audience don't have to watch every minute of those weeks, just the ones that matter.

Anyway, this thread is for Hidan no Aria, not Girls und Panzer. I've said what I wanted to say, so I'll stop the OT talk.
manicli

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:11 am Reply with quote
This wasn't a really good adaptation of a Light Novels. I thought it was rather dull and unentertaining but that's the case with a lot of light novel adaptations. They got the main plot points down so I'll give them that at least.

Though as an anime, I wouldn't say it's good, it's mediocre. The light novels were way better IMHO. Atleast I like tsunderes so that was good Smile
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:04 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
The worst is like with Zero no Tsukaima, where they killed off a character in a filler ending then brought him back later since he was part of the novel story again like nothing happened.

It's magic I don't have don't to explain sh** is find with me because I knew that znt would get a third season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

There comes a point at which absurdity stops being a sign of creativity and starts being just plain bad writing.

Except its not bad writing. Some of it is stuff you don't know (because it hadn't been explained yet) or things that just don't bear that much thought.

Is them fixing up the tanks overnight kinda silly? Yeah, but its also an incredibly minor issue. Would there have been anything gained from it being a week? What difference would it actually make other than to satiate your desire for "realism"?

Basically everything else you are whining about has good or at least plausible-within-the-setting explanation.

And the bit about the aircraft carriers is to point out how divergent the world of Girls und Panzer is from our own, without beating us over the head with it.

I would also suggest reading this blogpost by John Sato, [url=http://johnsato.blogspot.com/2012/11/why-girls-und-panzer-hasn't-tanked-yet.html]"Why Girls und Panzer hasn't Tanked yet"[/url]

Regardless of how good that show may be, the massive amount of Otaku-pandering and gratuitious yuri overtones make it impossible for me to take it seriously.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Regardless of how good that show may be, the massive amount of Otaku-pandering and gratuitious yuri overtones make it impossible for me to take it seriously.

"I only watch mature anime, for mature people, such as myself." Although, I'm not really getting the yuri overtones here except for Yukari on Miho, but that's because she's a loyal follower and one of her first friends, and in the hobby she's always loved. It's not even remotely blatant, like Madoka or Hidamari. As for otaku-pandering, yeah, I guess military otaku, since they've done such a good job on constructing the tank battles. Or did you mean cute girls like it's something new for anime to feature cute girls, like Gall Force and Project A-ko didn't exist 25 years ago?

All that aside, is it meant to be taken seriously or enjoyed for exactly as it presents itself? It presents itself in a world that is extremely unlikely, so trying to eek out a rationale seems counterproductive. I'm not trying to be anti-intellectual or say shut the brain off, but certain aspects for "why" are ignored and should be ignored, otherwise the setup doesn't work.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

All that aside, is it meant to be taken seriously or enjoyed for exactly as it presents itself? It presents itself in a world that is extremely unlikely, so trying to eek out a rationale seems counterproductive. I'm not trying to be anti-intellectual or say shut the brain off, but certain aspects for "why" are ignored and should be ignored, otherwise the setup doesn't work.

Its meant to be serious, as in you are supposed to take the events seriously, but if you can't handle a setting that is, shall we say, improbable than you might have issues.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I meant "otaku-pandering" in the "only girls drive tanks" thing. There's basically no reason why one gender drives tanks. Wuy do girms on drive tanks? They don't explain why. It just is, solely so theh can gen those pesky men out.

And if this was a Fujoshi series where only guys drive tanks and there's no sensible reason given why, I would find it just as odd.

(though I would totally watch a Boys Und Panzer. Especiay if the yaoi overtones dial was cranked up to 11)
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
So basically you're just upset about anime being anime? The point of the medium is that it is able to make things that aren't realistic and aren't as doable in live action mediums. If you want everything to be super realistic, watch live action shows.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Having a logical in-story reason for things != being realistic. TTGL is my favorite anime of all time.

Holy shit, this is Creative Writing 101, people.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I guess you just care about the reasoning a lot more than I do. I don't see any reason why a fantasy world should have to explain why its different from real life... its a fantasy world for a reason. If they want only girls to be able to ride tanks, then thats that. Its not part of our world.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
So basically you're just upset about anime being anime? The point of the medium is that it is able to make things that aren't realistic and aren't as doable in live action mediums. If you want everything to be super realistic, watch live action shows.

And to bring everything full circle, this is why I'm ok with Aria The Scarlet Ammo and not the Matrix sequels.

Full suit parachutte? 1) Why? 2) Isn't she cold? and 3) That's ... pretty cool and fully in character. I'll accept it.

Aria is stupid but there's a lot of energy and it goes somewhere. It's a low bar, granted, but many other shows can't even manage that much.

And Luci Christian was fantastic as Riko, too bad Leah Clark couldn't keep up {or do a good Rie Kugimiya character}. And Todd Haberkorn was Todd Haberkorn as a Todd Haberkorn character...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Tanks simply became the naginata. In the early showa period the naginata was specifically for women to train in order to become more womanly. I quote this webpage as display of what was the mindset back then in Japan:
Quote:
Women were said to personify the spirit of bushido because their "nature" was to be selfless and nurturing. They were believed to be the basis of society because of their place in the education of children. It was claimed that martial arts training would develop the attention to details needed for housekeeping, food preparation, caring for the sick, and making a "friendly atmosphere." A woman trained in naginata was supposed to be soft but strong, willing to be selfless but decisive, and above all, patient and enduring. The strong body she developed from training was necessary to keep healthy and active to carry out all her work. She was said to have a "full spirit" and strong beauty. One teacher's manual, written in the middle of Japan's war years, states, "the study of naginata, home economics, and sewing would develop the perfect woman."

If you replace the naginata with a tank, is that really that different from what has been shown in Girls und Panzer?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7