• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CW4Kids Takes Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight off Schedule

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:41 am Reply with quote
Mistystuffer wrote:
Actually that's incorrect, Saban's Masked Rider ran for two seasons. The first was shown on Fox Kids and the second was syndicated.

The broadcast run was split between Fox Kids and syndication, but both used episodes from the same 40-episode season.
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:30 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
WTF is Kamen Rider?? D3publisher needs to Make a game out of FullMetal Alchemist or One Piece in the style of Naruto Clash of Ninja, Kamen Rider looks like a waste. The Clash of Ninja series has hit popularity. Now Full Metal Should be made in the same style.

It's only about the most popular thing we never get.

To date, there have been 20 Kamen Rider series', starting with the first Kamen Rider in 1971. What we got was a re-arrangement of Kamen Rider Ryuuki, which ORIGINALLY aired from 2002 to 2003 (so, as you can tell, we're quite a bit behind).

Of course, I don't blame them. The only other Kamen Rider series we got was Masked Rider, which was just about the most horrendous bastardization of any source material anyone's ever seen (using footage from Kamen Rider Black RX). Of course, this could only have been from the one-and-only Saban. It's rumored that Shotaro Ishinomori (the man who created Kamen Rider) said he'd never let us have another one of his series' ever again.

Now, Ryuuki came out after Ishinomori died, so it's not like it was technically one of his series' anymore. Actually, in personal opinion, I didn't think our "Dragon Knight" was so horrible. Granted I hated the opening sequence (they rhymed the word "fight" with "fight" O_o), and they completely rearranged the story... however, half or more of the footage was of our own creation, and NOT always borrowed from the Ryuuki footage. It's things like this that make me wonder why they don't just make their own TV series, if they're gonna spend that much money on re-filming and acquiring recreations of the costumes, etc. But, whatever, if they wanna retool it fine by me.

It would appear, however, that it didn't work out too well for them in the long run.

Geez, I guess I said a lot, huh? Sorry, that's all boring, I know. What I really meant to say was, Kamen Rider is important, even if you've never heard of it. It's a little surprising that people around here have to ask, "What's Kamen Rider?" But I guess this is Anime News Network, not Tokusatsu News Network.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:26 am Reply with quote
Nah, Mario is the only one who would ever say something like that, MarzGurl. Just fu**** google it, Mario. Kamen Rider has been around a long time. I still own the Masked Rider Sega CD game from that era. What a POS game that was.

I always liked the Kamen series over the Sentai series because of the darker tones. Tokusatsu stories are usually super cheesy though.

I remember reading about Dragon Knight getting a release, but didn't follow its course. Was it decent? ( obviously not from the title, right) Was it better than KIVA? KIVA was the last Kamen TV series that I watched and enjoyed.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Coming from someone who has watched Kamen Rider Dragon Knight weekly since January, I am royally pissed off. What's more insulting, CW4Kids has NOTHING new coming in January. There is no reason not to air it. I refuse to believe the ratings were that much worse than the other crap they air.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
I refuse to believe the ratings were that much worse than the other crap they air.

The ratings are made available every week at Cynopsis Kids...so you can see for yourself how Kamen Rider bombed pretty much every week. Here's a good example:

Quote:
Final K6-11 Ratings for Saturday, November 21, 2009 Broadcast Networks only (Live + SD Data):

CW (TheCW4Kids) 1.1/6 Avg. (7a-12p)

Winx Club 0.4/4;
Winx Club 0.7/5;
Rollbots 1.0/5;
Dinosaur king 1.3/6;
Yu-Gi-Oh 1.2/5;
Sonic X 1.6/7;
Turtles Forever (1x90) 1.5/6
Kamen Rider Dragon Knight 0.5/3

Dragon Knight lost a third of the viewers from Turtles Forever, and scored less than half of the average for the block. The only show it did beat on this particular week was the 7:00 AM airing of Winx Club.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
Well there hasn't been a "good" season of that since Dino Thunder anyway.

Most people I talked to mourning the death of Power Rangers said the last season (RPM?) was the best of any of the adaptations.
stararnold

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Looks like it'll be a while 'til the next tokusatsu series-based U.S. T.V. series premieres.

Is it just me or is North American society's love for tokusastu Sci-Fi epics like "Godzilla", "Ultraman", and "Kamen Rider" declining?
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quote
stararnold wrote:
Looks like it'll be a while 'til the next tokusatsu series-based U.S. T.V. series premieres.

Is it just me or is North American society's love for tokusastu Sci-Fi epics like "Godzilla", "Ultraman", and "Kamen Rider" declining?

It's not so much a decling thing as it is an aging thing. Those into Godzilla go back to people now in their 40s. (Those movies aired before afternoon cartoons started.) And even some of the Power Ranger's crowd is into their 30s.

I do think it's somewhat silly to pull it with only two episodes left. They could easily just run them by pulling a repeat of Sonic X for a couple weeks. It's probably just a matter of scheduling; they don't want it around in January.

I never bothered with the show, but I'm very disappointed in 4Kids. They dropped all animation from FOX and at least half of what they programmed for the fall on CW were repeats. Even Rollbots has aired before in Canada. I have a feeling that we may not see any new shows come fall and that there won't be anything on Saturday morning for those past the age of 7. And even then, there won't be anything on before 10pm.
Raoh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Nah, Mario is the only one who would ever say something like that, MarzGurl. Just fu**** google it, Mario. Kamen Rider has been around a long time. I still own the Masked Rider Sega CD game from that era. What a POS game that was.

I always liked the Kamen series over the Sentai series because of the darker tones. Tokusatsu stories are usually super cheesy though.

I remember reading about Dragon Knight getting a release, but didn't follow its course. Was it decent? ( obviously not from the title, right) Was it better than KIVA? KIVA was the last Kamen TV series that I watched and enjoyed.

Personally, I enjoyed Kiva more than Ryuki. Decade was a troll, straight up. Although the new one, W is pretty good. Although, I still think Kabuto is the best.

On topic, I watched one episode of Dragon Knight, randomly, and didn't really like it, at all. I can understand it getting canceled. Although hearing that Power Rangers got canceled was a bit of a shock after all these years.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote
oh come remove a series cause of ratings problems now that is just wrong?!

besides the series is almost finish but now want to "remove" that is not right besides let the series end on the final eps no cliffhangers on tv.

whole ratings are joke these days now with online tv & etc really let it's show it ENDING!!!
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Same thing I said at a few other forums:

I've not watched Kamen Rider Dragon Knight yet, but I know my niece and nephew (who are 9 and 10, they are also fans of both showa and Heisie era Kamen Rider shows, that I shared with them ) like it.

This happens all the time to tv shows. Back in 2002 Fox canceled Firefly only after 12 to 13 episodes(forgot the exact amount) had aired and they released the unaired eps on their dvd boxset. This was due to the fact that they ran it on Friday night in a 8 pm time slot(when most of America has gone out for the evening) and that they did not advertise the show much.

Remember Space Above and Beyond back in 1995-1996. It had high ratings and also It was nominated for two Emmy Awards and one Saturn Award.
But Fox still canceled it too after 1 season!!!

A show ending actually all comes down to "business politics", etc..

They don't care what the fans think. They only care about what they deem appropriate for tv!!!!

More than likely the last 2 eps will eventually appear on the internet.
This is a sad day for American Tokusatsu fans, but at least we still have the original Japanese shows to watch.

Razz Twisted Evil Razz
~Brain.Wav~

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

Personally, I enjoyed Kiva more than Ryuki. Decade was a troll, straight up. Although the new one, W is pretty good. Although, I still think Kabuto is the best.

On topic, I watched one episode of Dragon Knight, randomly, and didn't really like it, at all. I can understand it getting canceled. Although hearing that Power Rangers got canceled was a bit of a shock after all these years.

Meh, Kiva started strong then got bland. 555 is my favorite KR series. Decade kept swinging between HOLY CRAP AWESOME and "WTF DID YOU DO IT?!" depending on the universe... The Black/Black RX arc was just made of awesome though. W's pretty so far. My main complaint about the newer KR series is there's too many girly-men... old KR had MEN, new KR has pretty boys. :P

Anyway, back on track, I couldn't get into Dragon Knight... frankly, though, this doesn't surprise me. Power Rangers' popularity has been waning, so I never had much hope for this anyway. I think the current generation sees guys in rubber suits and just gives it a pass instead of enjoying it in spite of said rubber suits.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:34 am Reply with quote
Well, I guess Toku is dead in the US with KR:DK getting pulled with 2 episodes remaining (and please, lets not compare this travesty of Satuday morning block that 4Kids feeds the CW with the golden age of WB kids) and Disney/ABC deciding to rerun a decades old series instead of adapting the current sentai series, heck I still remember when Fox Kids made their MMPR OTO (One Time Only) rebroadcast of the Original series a few years back.

Dragon Knight was way better that the Saban attempt and aimed to a slightly older demographic, don't take it like an adaptation of Ryuki but a new story using the suits from Ryuki, that's what doomed the series with fandom.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:03 am Reply with quote
It's frustrating, certainly, as a fan of this sort of stuff. But anybody who says KRDK was a good show is deluding themselves. Sure, it's better than Masked Rider. But come on now. What was worse is that KRDK was a show marketed at kids that thought it was prime time. They were trying to have it both ways and it just didn't work.

I think we'll see a resurgence of Toku in the US someday. It just turned out not to be KRDK leading the charge.
mrgetalife

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:58 am Reply with quote
My problem with KRDK is that it had a commercials what seemed every 4 minutes it seems. Even kids don't like watching commercials and will change the channel. It feels like its CW trying to get as much money out of the deal and shooting themselves in the foot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2