• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sgt. Frog DVD part 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
Are the English subtitles proper translations of the Japanese audio, or heavily localized like the English dub?
Otaking09

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:41 am Reply with quote
Oh God... I love Sgt. Frog's dub!!! This review is a tad late though...

Anyway, it's because of this anime, that I was finally able to appreciate Todd's talent as a VA...
When I first heard him in Shuffle! playing a bit character/pervert, I didn't have high hopes...

But after hearing his performances as Naru/Ghost Hunt, Joseph/Blassreiter, Jil/Druaga, and this one, he has become "another" Funi favorite... Very Happy

I didn't think the "Story' would get a A-! Don't get me wrong, I think it's well deserved (in fact, I think this one scores higher in terms comedy than Poni Poni Dash...), but recent anime reviews have been a bit too critical...

Music is indeed, pretty good, Kero March, is fun to listen/watch, and I do like how cartoony they made the frogs. Kudos to Junichi Sato, for creating this family friendly wonder...

Another thing I'd like to add, is how FUNNY the english narrator is!!! I mean episode 4?! spoiler[WHEEL OF FORTUNE!!!] very random, but SOOOOOO funny!!! I' couldn't stop laughing!!!! I also love Chris Sabat as Giroro, especially his laugh...

All in all, this is tied with Samurai Champloo Blu-ray, on what I want for X-mas.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:38 am Reply with quote
ReiClone88 wrote:
Are the English subtitles proper translations of the Japanese audio, or heavily localized like the English dub?

The subtitles & the dub disagree a lot so I'm assuming the subtitles are somewhat close to what's being said in Japan.
I would appreciate someone explaining why, when they say "Gate open" the subtitle says something like "Opening gate". The Gate Open line is a deliberate ref to Gundam, isn't it?

I'm too fond fo the Japanese frog cast to really appreciate the English dub. Having just finished the 2nd set, I'm used to Haberkorn, though he is nowhere as adorable as Kumiko Watanabe. She was Shippo! Yeah, cute little fox footed Shippo & now she's playing a plastic model obsessed frog. She manages to sound so much more attached to those Gundams than Haberkorn.
Chuck Huber's Kururu is still too annoying, probably because it sounds like a bad Ed Wynn impersonation. I can't get Babes in Toyland out of my head when I hear it which isn't often because I'd rather hear Koyasu anytime.
Sabat's Giroro is probably the best of the American dubbed frogs. The jokes get annoying a couple times, but he delivers them all in a style that fits Giroro. Jouji Nakata is Jouji Nakata & solid on his delivery.
I actually prefer Brina Palencia's Tamama, but the character is so annoying, I really didn't pay much attention to the Japanese VA. Tama is the frog Momoko & just as annoying.
Even by the end of the 2nd set Dororo doesn't show up enough for the VA to really make an impression other than in Japanese it's Takeshi Kusao (Trunks/DBZ, Kougaiji/Saiyuki, Krad/DNAngel, Saionji/Utena). I suppose it suggests Tatum's nailed Dororo's nature (forgotten) that he doesn't stand out.
I had to watch ep 11 in Japanese because R Grey is Hikaru Midorikawa who seems to have too much fun as the grey alien travel host ref'd in the review.
I think it's less Joel McDonald's & more the way they've decided to play him that kills Saburo in the dub. In Japanese it's Akira Ishida who has done his turn as the character who knows a bit more than the rest of the cast (Xellos/Slayers, Kaoru/Eva, Satoshi/DNAngel, Shinkohyoh/Soul Hunter). In the dub Saburo is somewhat more vicious in his comments. His DJ persona is even worse.
The first box has a definite finding their feet feel to it that improves by the 2nd box.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:03 am Reply with quote
a real definate must buy,though in my view the dub is much better. However i was really disapointed they did not tweak the dub for St Frog like what they did for shin chan and what adv did with ghost stories. it would have been a real howl if the english script was like that though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:34 am Reply with quote
ReiClone88 wrote:

They are two sub tracks. One is the proper Japanese tracks with the correct translations to the Japanese on screen and what is being said. There is another track that is used for English that is more or less liberal with the translations for certain signs, an example would be spoiler[In the beach episode that appears in the next volume, Giroro uses a devices and changes the setting that in the Japanese language track has the translation as "west" where in the English the subtitle says some different I think it was like "Random" or "All over the place" it was something along those lines.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:36 am Reply with quote
Considering how long the series is already, I wonder how much of it Funimation is releasing, or how much of of it has been licensed for release.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:02 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
I'm too fond fo the Japanese frog cast to really appreciate the English dub. Having just finished the 2nd set, I'm used to Haberkorn, though he is nowhere as adorable as Kumiko Watanabe. She was Shippo! Yeah, cute little fox footed Shippo & now she's playing a plastic model obsessed frog. She manages to sound so much more attached to those Gundams than Haberkorn.

The rest of the comparisons I'll let slide, but I protest on this one. I actually found the Japanese voice for Keroro to be rather annoying, while the English voice was more what I expected for the character. (Of course, I was never crazy about Shippo's Japanese voice, either, so I guess I'm just not a fan of that particular seiyuu.)

Last edited by Key on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:14 am Reply with quote
The more I watch of this series, the more I wish it could've been on American TV when I was a kid! I think it would've done pretty well. And just think of all those merchandising opportunities!
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:33 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Considering how long the series is already, I wonder how much of it Funimation is releasing, or how much of of it has been licensed for release.

That's basically the sticking point I have for not buying this, along with sheer cost. 290 episodes divded by 13 per box= 22 or 23 boxes, times $40 a box=$880- $920 total. Even assuming I'll buy it on sale, which I will, that's a lot for one series... and I already got suckered into buying Hayate, I'm not realy for another wallet-drainer right now.

Short version- here's hoping for some nice value collections in the future. Very Happy
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, I like the presentation but I would have prefer that the dub was closer to the Japanese script as the dub script steamrolled over a lot of Anime references, I can at least point to the Mazinger Z one on the toy store episode. I think the cavity wars was more of a homage to First Gundam than Gundam Seed (the dental probe had the profile of the White Base, not the ArkAngel althought the final part of the launch sequence could be taken as a homage to Gundam Seed and all the weapons were definately from MSG, Heck, Keroro was packing a Gundam Hammer!!!)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
russ869

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
That's basically the sticking point I have for not buying this, along with sheer cost. 290 episodes divded by 13 per box= 22 or 23 boxes, times $40 a box=$880- $920 total. Even assuming I'll buy it on sale, which I will, that's a lot for one series... and I already got suckered into buying Hayate, I'm not realy for another wallet-drainer right now.

Yeah, for me to buy comedy series it has to really be my thing or it just doesn't have much rewatch value. That's why I'm still not interested enough to buy Sgt. Frog or Hayate. Now Gintama on the other hand I be happy to keep paying absurd amounts of money for as the episodes keep coming out for my whole lifetime, but somehow there's NO LICENSE!!
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:49 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:

Short version- here's hoping for some nice value collections in the future. Very Happy

Well of course there will be someday viridian boxes, but some of us have been waiting too friggin long so $500 for 23 boxes doesn't sound all that bad (at the $21.60 Got Anime fans can score the box for from TRSI). When the quality goes down (if it does), one can always take a break & wait for cheaper boxes

Quote:
The rest of the comparisons I'll let slide, but I protest on this one. I actually found the Japanese voice for Keroro to be rather annoying, while the English voice was more what I expected for the character.

He's a little green frog, so the female voice works for me. If anything Giroro would probably be too deep for a little froggie, but who cares? Giroro is cool. I have the most of his & Kururu's stuff (plushies, dolls, light-ups, models & squeaky toys) & Giroro actually wins by a couple for sheer number of items.
Kururu is just wicked fun. He's just playing with everyone.
I was hoping we'd get to the other team, but that was obviously too much to hope for in the first 26 eps. Hope the dub doesn't mess up Giroro's brother.
It is a great title for Japanese VA's.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
I would appreciate someone explaining why, when they say "Gate open" the subtitle says something like "Opening gate". The Gate Open line is a deliberate ref to Gundam, isn't it?
It could also be a reference to Gatekeepers, although that's less likely.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

I was hoping we'd get to the other team, but that was obviously too much to hope for in the first 26 eps. Hope the dub doesn't mess up Giroro's brother.
It is a great title for Japanese VA's.

Oh me too. The Garuru Platoon arc is like my favorite arc ever.
Taruru comes in the next box set (episode 30)
but the rest of them don't come in till episode 101 :<

so...only 6 box sets left till then Anime hyper
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
It could also be a reference to Gatekeepers, although that's less likely.

True & Koyasu's in that one also.
But it's when they're launching in the suits to battle the cavity aliens. Kururu also uses it in the sports ep when Kerero's in the man suit, but Kerero, being taller, gets snagged (Kururu is evil.) He very clearly says "Gate Open"

6 boxes? Sounds like One Piece (Koyasu's Aoi Kiji. At least One Piece is fun otherwise. I'm interrupting Solty Rei after 1 dvd to watch the latest set. Ace! Yeah!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2