• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Tsuguhiko Kadokawa

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
That was a VERY good interview. I'm surprised Kadokawa was so forthcoming about things.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
So "Endless Eight" was a deliberate attempt to stir things up, huh? Not that it's surprising at all, but it was a pretty mean trick to the folks who waited so long for new Haruhi anime content. Not to mention me, since I decided the new "season" was one of the shows I was going to blog on. (Well, I guess nobody was putting a gun to my head.)

I just hope that the Disappearance movie isn't some new trick. I'd like to say that you can only trick the fans so much before they get incensed and stop watching, but apparently eight episodes of the same isn't enough, so I wonder what would be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ruro niko

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:36 am Reply with quote
I would disagree that America is more based around group productions. Just look at how often names get thrown around like JJ Abrams, Quentin Tarantino, and Joss Whedon for their films and shows, just to name a few. Perhaps he's saying American creators tend to be more influenced by their crew and their producers and sponsors, maybe, but I really don't see that being too different from Japan.

I do agree with the lines between niche and mainstream content becoming blurred and meaningless. It's happened in America. Look at the top grossing films of the last decade. What are many of them? Adaptations of comic books, a subculture fandom of its own.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:53 am Reply with quote
ruro niko wrote:
I would disagree that America is more based around group productions. Just look at how often names get thrown around like JJ Abrams, Quentin Tarantino, and Joss Whedon for their films and shows, just to name a few. Perhaps he's saying American creators tend to be more influenced by their crew and their producers and sponsors, maybe, but I really don't see that being too different from Japan.

Stop being so butthurt and notice they were mostly talking about animation. Most Disney movies are known by their studio, not by their directors. Tell me can you really remember who directed Shrek without checking Imdb first? I can remember more contemporary anime than American animated movie directors who have a recognizable style.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:18 am Reply with quote
But how true is that. Was Endless Eight created because the Director in some moment of insanity thought it was a good idea, or was it to waste 5-6 episodes so they could make Dissaperance a movie.

Look at Code Geass, the thing was basically made in a commitee, the original plot was nothing like the plot they ended up with, they just added stuff that was popular at the time (Death Note, Mecha) and even made entire scenes plugging Pizza Hut.

Really when you get right down to it, the percentage of artist saying screw the studio, screw the producers are as rare as it is in western animation. Really right off the top of my head I can only remember Turn A Gundam, and Giant Robo.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:43 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Really when you get right down to it, the percentage of artist saying screw the studio, screw the producers are as rare as it is in western animation. Really right off the top of my head I can only remember Turn A Gundam, and Giant Robo.

It isn't about the artist saying "screw the studio" but the studio giving freedom within a certain budget and schedule. Alfred Hitchcock was a professional director who knew what he was good at and had a certain style, not a an avant-garde director. Mamoru Hosoda, Hayao Miyazaki, Mamoru Oshii, Satoshi Kon and Isao Takahata are very recognizably different although I wouldn't call any of them avant-garde.

Can you tell what makes Beauty and the Beast a Gary Trousdale and
Kirk Wise film instead of a Ron Clements and John Musker film? I would just call a Disney film, unlike Only yesterday which is clearly a Takahata film just like Porco Rosso is clearly a Miyazaki film.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:04 am Reply with quote
I really have to thank Mr. Kadokawa for this interview. Even with American companies, it's unheard of for a CEO to be this candid with an interviewer. For a Japanese company, it's simply jaw-dropping.

The guy is really, really proud of his company and its achievements. Even if I don't really agree with him on how the US animation industry works, I have to give him credit: the guy has an understanding of internet culture beyond most men half his age.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:09 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
I have to give him credit: the guy has an understanding of internet culture beyond most men half his age.

That's good to hear. I may sound like Captain Obvious talking here, but a successful business will try to meet the challenges head on (meaning the internet and making an income from it) as opposed to putting their collective head in the sand or trying alter the competition's activities through legal proceedings.

Thanks for asking the question about Summer Wars too! I say be patient, hopefully it'll make it over here in due course. The Sky Crawlers, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and the Eva movie all eventually arrived in R1 format.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:22 am Reply with quote
Okay, this was a VERY intelligent interview, and Mr. Kadokawa really knows his stuff. However, I still didn't get the two things I was hoping for; an apology, and the man's thoughts on how well season two would sell outside of Japan.* But then, I knew they were an impossibility (although Justin could have at least asked that question regarding predicted international sales).

A great interview, to be sure, and Justin is right to be so chuffed at how it went. But has it caused me to forgive Kadokawa (the company) one bit? Nope. They mocked fans by being "creative" and "innovative" and "daring" and airing the same episode six freaking times, with two very similar episodes tacked on to either end. And then people went out and bought the DVDs in greater numbers than most proper series can ever hope for.

I also do not believe for one moment that Kadokawa (both the man and the company) let the director do whatever he wanted with the season. This was not one man's vision but a coldly-calculated marketing strategy. And because of the utter stupidity of Japanese Otaku it paid off for them. Lovely.

Oh sure, many Westerners enjoyed Endless Eight. But I query how many of those people who liked it would be willing to stump up cash for it? I hope I am not surprised . . . . . .
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:28 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
I really have to thank Mr. Kadokawa for this interview. Even with American companies, it's unheard of for a CEO to be this candid with an interviewer. For a Japanese company, it's simply jaw-dropping.

The guy is really, really proud of his company and its achievements. Even if I don't really agree with him on how the US animation industry works, I have to give him credit: the guy has an understanding of internet culture beyond most men half his age.

The question is... How much of Kadokawa does he speak for?

That hydra has many heads...
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:49 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Oh sure, many Westerners enjoyed Endless Eight. But I query how many of those people who liked it would be willing to stump up cash for it? I hope I am not surprised . . . . . .

From what I have seen, the main contingent of people who liked Endless Eight liked it because they could play "spot the difference"

In other words it's going to kill sales. Simply put American otaku are not Japanese otaku. What sells well in Japan doesn't always sell well in America.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:20 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

Hahaha.

"This is a valuable interview...

or IS IT??

DUN DUN DUUUUNNNNN"
larinon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:28 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

From what I have seen, the main contingent of people who liked Endless Eight liked it because they could play "spot the difference"

In other words it's going to kill sales. Simply put American otaku are not Japanese otaku. What sells well in Japan doesn't always sell well in America.

I think completists (which are probably the same people who buy shows on DVD as soon as they come out, even if they're single disc releases) would still buy the Endless Eight episodes. Even if I didn't watch them but once I would want to at least have them so there's nothing missing from the collection. And eventually it'll probably be part of a box set or complete collection release anyway and people won't have a choice but own it.

Good job on the interview, it was an interesting read.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:42 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

Given that he's CEO of Kadokawa Shoten, Kadokawa Group Holdings, Inc., and Kadokawa Pictures, I'd say he speaks for the entire group of companies.

-t
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Great interview, Justin. Smile

jsevakis wrote:

Jaw-dropping indeed. I really wonder if he or any other important figure of anime industry visits Taiwan (or anywhere outside the Anglosphere), should I have the opportunity to ask just a few questions, let alone an exclusive interview. I've already received the message that the guest of honor of TIBE 2010 (a female mangaka; name withheld for now) is very unlikely to accept any interview; photography will be strictly forbidden. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3