• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Tsuguhiko Kadokawa

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
samuelp wrote:

The question is... How much of Kadokawa does he speak for?

That hydra has many heads...

Hahaha.

"This is a valuable interview...

or IS IT??

DUN DUN DUUUUNNNNN"

Of course it's valuable, I wasn't trying to diss your accomplishments or anything.

Just saying that I've heard talk of power struggles and infighting at kadokawa about the very issues discussed in this interview. If you think the opinions of the CEO are the official stances of every kadokawa company, you'd be making a big mistake.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Great interview. Not sure I agree with all of the opinions expressed by either Kadokawa or Justin but there's a lot to chew on there.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:55 pm Reply with quote
He laughed every time Haruhi was mentioned. Well, I guess that's his way of assuming that the anime was a disaster. But it's hard to believe that Haruhi was aimed at young adults; I'd say they heavily rely on Mikuru's boobies.
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
...it's hard to believe that Haruhi was aimed at young adults; I'd say they heavily rely on Mikuru's boobies.

I think I'm misunderstanding. Young adults are the target for boobies, right? Family and kid shows don't have them, so I'm assuming moe/otaku shows are what he meant for young adults (and obviously older as well).

Good interview. At least he gets it, that the world is changing and his company has to respond to changes, not just try to stop them. I would say though that he was pointedly avoiding the Endless Eight fiasco with his chuckles. The marketing ploy intended was the rumors and hints dropped along the way before season two, and the whole "re-run" of season one misdirection. Endless Eight wasn't marketing, but content, and certainly failed the numbers in comparison to season one sales. He's a smart businessman, so I would imagine that creative freedom will be at least scrutinized if not curtailed to some degree in future episodes of the franchise, if he even gets that close to the production.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:27 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
egoist wrote:
...it's hard to believe that Haruhi was aimed at young adults; I'd say they heavily rely on Mikuru's boobies.

I think I'm misunderstanding. Young adults are the target for boobies, right? Family and kid shows don't have them, so I'm assuming moe/otaku shows are what he meant for young adults (and obviously older as well).

I just couldn't believe Haruhi was aimed at young adults, and that's why I said that. Though I'm really interested in boobies, Mikuru just didn't do the job, in my case at least. Hell, they do spotlight her boobies every scene, that's why I just assumed her boobies were the main attraction of the show. And by assuming that her boobies really were the series' focus, I can say that her boobies definitely were meant to attract young adults. But now there's a dilemma: I also enjoyed boobies back when I was younger than this "young adult" age group, so I wonder if they were merely afraid of assuming that her boobies were also targeted at a younger audience.
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
...boobies...

So what you're saying is... boobies. And more boobies. But not enough boobies. Or not the right kind of boobies. So, the point of the show was not the boobies. And that makes you wonder Wink.
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
You do realize that part of the reason Mikuru exists is to parody Moe and sex appeal, right? Laughing
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote
"Ultimately, some fans gave up, while others turned to fansubs, which are now better quality than DVD."

Really? Is this little nugget now so accepted as common knowledge that no one even blinked at it? Is it even true? Or do people actually prefer screens filled with unreadable multicolor fonts?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote
mike.motaku wrote:
"Ultimately, some fans gave up, while others turned to fansubs, which are now better quality than DVD."

Really? Is this little nugget now so accepted as common knowledge that no one even blinked at it? Is it even true? Or do people actually prefer screens filled with unreadable multicolor fonts?

It's undebatably true in certain contexts. That of video quality. Many (in fact, probably most) fansubs are now in HD. Whereas DVDs are only 480p.

Of course, Justin failed to qualify that statement in the article, but it's understandable that he wouldn't waste time qualifying it in the conversation. And the article is a transcript of the conversation.

I'll add a note.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote
ninjaclown wrote:
You do realize that part of the reason Mikuru exists is to parody Moe and sex appeal, right? Laughing

No. I thought she existed to cry all the time and annoy the hell out of me.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
ninjaclown wrote:

No. I thought she existed to cry all the time and annoy the hell out of me.

Yes, and I'm sure she's pretty much there to be the moe sex appeal, and not as a parody. If there this any kind of parodying going on, it must be so subtle that it's invisible.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Top interview Justin. You earned your pay to scoop that one. Wink I find it intriguing that he doesn't hold a flaming torch towards Youtube, or Crunchyroll when he knows that his business has been hurt by them in the past. I'm also glad to read that the concept of what's niche and what's mainstream are merging into one, but that can be a double edged sword. On one edge there is the situation that there is so much of what could be considered niche glutting the market, that it floods out what could be considered mainstream, so much so that niche becomes the mainstream, and the other edge is; mainstream becomes the niche. They then are stained with that label, which, when offered for overseas distribution, causes it to be rejected by the big distros, and picked up by the smaller ones relegating them to sub only releases. When they both are considered the same, that could in effect remove that stigma and all titles could be considered worthy of a dub, not that all will then get one, but being called "niche" will no longer be the main reason to hide behind, when deciding not to.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:27 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yes, and I'm sure she's pretty much there to be the moe sex appeal, and not as a parody. If there this any kind of parodying going on, it must be so subtle that it's invisible.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. There comes a point when a parody becomes reality. When a parody is so close in nature and structure to the target of the parody that the two become indistinguishable. In other words, works that try and parody can - without it even knowing - become the very thing it is trying to make fun of.

The animated Haruhi franchise was determined to parody many things, but not Moe. After all, what better way to lure in the fanboys than have a crying sexually-abused busty girl dressed up in a maid costume and serving tea? Or, if it did set out to parody Moe, that point I mentioned before happened approximately three minutes into episode zero.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi was absolutely parodying moe. At least, the light novels were. They go into great detail about how Haruhi values moe. The problem is, by animating the novels and bringing a visual element to it, the show then inadvertently plays the trope straight. The intention of the story, as far as that element, is to show how utterly useless Mikuru is, despite appealing to moe, or at least her persona. It also shows how out-of-control Haruhi is in pursuing her interests.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:17 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Haruhi was absolutely parodying moe. At least, the light novels were. They go into great detail about how Haruhi values moe. The problem is, by animating the novels and bringing a visual element to it, the show then inadvertently plays the trope straight. The intention of the story, as far as that element, is to show how utterly useless Mikuru is, despite appealing to moe, or at least her persona. It also shows how out-of-control Haruhi is in pursuing her interests.

Inadvertantly? KyoAni does nothing but moe other than the time they did Full Metal Panic. It's why I don't consider KyoAni to be on the same level as Sunrise, Bones or even Toei. The second season even had them drawn cuter just to be even more moe.

Also if Mikiru is a parody than's she's a poor parody, all they did was point out that she's the fanservice character and have her be sexually molested by Haruhi.

It's pretty clear that I am supposed to find Haruhi's obnoxious behavior charming which is why I stopped watching the series, and never saw the second season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3