• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Tsuguhiko Kadokawa

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:32 pm Reply with quote
This was a very nice interview

So Endless Eight = new marketing ploy?

well it's nice to get some answers I guess, and I can see how the series is marketed to young teens / older teens. After reading the novels and watching the anime, it really did fit in to things I think an one above the age of 13 would watch and get a kick out of it.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I think I enjoy Endless Eight a bit more knowing it was a purposeful marketing stragedy rather than a "Those crazy kids will love this!", probably the fact that they knew what they were doing. I find marketing really fascinating, so I'm impressed they were able to pull this off.

Also I found it interesting that he thought Up was similar to Castle in the Sky, I found it more similar to La Maison en Petit Cubes. A lot of different movies have flying things (such as practically any Miyazaki movie besides Castle in the Sky) but Up's first few minutes reminded me A LOT of La Maison. Complete with the array of photographs, old man left alone (Not flying house but still abnormally elevated)
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:00 am Reply with quote
Amazing interview considering the CEO status. I was surprised at how forthcoming he was. I hardly ever see that, especially with the Japanese. You must have been in super-magic-mojo-mode that day, Justin, to get him so at ease. All I have to say is WOW!

I have read the interview twice now. I could be wrong, but it almost seems like Mr. Kadokawa is hoping that the online (crunchyroll type) model will *stay* unprofitable. I'm hoping that is not true, but it is always easier when a large company doesn't have to change its business model. IMO, that model is the best solution so far...
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:20 am Reply with quote
Mistypearl wrote:
I think I enjoy Endless Eight a bit more knowing it was a purposeful marketing stragedy rather than a "Those crazy kids will love this!", probably the fact that they knew what they were doing. I find marketing really fascinating, so I'm impressed they were able to pull this off.

It's really quite the feat to manage to cut their sales to one third of those of the first season. With that kind of success who needs failure?
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:47 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Mistypearl wrote:

It's really quite the feat to manage to cut their sales to one third of those of the first season. With that kind of success who needs failure?
Find another sequel airing in 2009 where it has been at least 1 year since the previous season and is selling better percentage wise than Haruhi. (Answer: Haruhi matches the highest retention percentage at just slightly below 50% for the first 3 DVDs.)
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:09 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
hissatsu01 wrote:

Find another sequel airing in 2009 where it has been at least 1 year since the previous season and is selling better percentage wise than Haruhi. (Answer: Haruhi matches the highest retention percentage at just slightly below 50% for the first 3 DVDs.)

You can stop pretending Haruhi was anything like an average show in Japan. It was huge and there was huge anticipation for a second season. The first season sales averaged over 40,000 per volume and sales went up as the series progressed. But no need to compare sales to the previous season. Every volume of Endless 8 has sold less than the last. The first volume of E8 sold almost 9,000 copies less (about a 31% drop) than Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody and by the third volume of E8 sales are less than half (about a 55% drop) those of Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody. When sales inevitably go up for the final volume of E8 and then back up to around the level of Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody for Sighs, will you take that as a sign of E8's success?

I can't compare sales to a parallel universe where they didn't resort to stupid marketing gimmicks with the second season of MotS, but I suspect that if they had done things more normally, sales would have been around the level of Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody or higher (given that some fans were probably turned off the series entirely by E8) for the entire 2nd season. And I have no doubt that the bean counters at Kadokawa are thinking the same thing. I don't see how anyone in their right mind could look at the sales data and conclude that Endless Eight was a success. Unless if they did if for the lulz, in which case, mission accomplished.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

I have read the interview twice now. I could be wrong, but it almost seems like Mr. Kadokawa is hoping that the online (crunchyroll type) model will *stay* unprofitable. I'm hoping that is not true, but it is always easier when a large company doesn't have to change its business model. IMO, that model is the best solution so far...
That's true, but with any entertainment business they have to keep up with what ever new technology the masses hurd towards in order to sell those masses their entertainment mix, so he might wish he didn't have to, but he knows the company has no choice. What he is saying is at present it's not paying enough to take the plunge with on-line distribution like Crunchyroll, or Hulu, or whatever yet, but maybe next year, or 2011, or even 2012? who knows?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
What he is saying is at present it's not paying enough to take the plunge with on-line distribution like Crunchyroll, or Hulu, or whatever yet, but maybe next year, or 2011, or even 2012? who knows?

Biding one's time may well be wise. I'm sceptical, but many say that moving towards online distribution is necessary. If so, this may be the preparation stage. Though their content caused controversy, Haruhi episodes were legally uploaded to Youtube recently. This suggests that they're not completely averse to the idea, or at least not in the case of their most popular products.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bravetailor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:44 pm Reply with quote
ninjaclown wrote:
You do realize that part of the reason Mikuru exists is to parody Moe and sex appeal, right? Laughing

Ah, no. Haruhi wants to have its cake and eat it too. Parodies by nature make fun of what it's parodying and generally try to make it unappealing or cheaply done versions of "the real thing". As far as I'm concerned, Mikuru's boobs are too lovingly rendered and animated to be considered parody.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
ninjaclown wrote:
You do realize that part of the reason Mikuru exists is to parody Moe and sex appeal, right? Laughing
Ah, no. Haruhi wants to have its cake and eat it too. Parodies by nature make fun of what it's parodying and generally try to make it unappealing or cheaply done versions of "the real thing". As far as I'm concerned, Mikuru's boobs are too lovingly rendered and animated to be considered parody.

The reason it was funny was that it was both a parody and dead-serious at the same time. What ye olde Jargon File calls Ha ha, only serious. Not all parody is Saturday Night Live, some of it is Gurren Lagann.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
bravetailor wrote:
ninjaclown wrote:

The reason it was funny was that it was both a parody and dead-serious at the same time. What ye olde Jargon File calls Ha ha, only serious. Not all parody is Saturday Night Live, some of it is Gurren Lagann.

Gurren Lagann is homage rather than parody. Haruhi is an homage to Otaku culture rather than parody. There is a difference.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:28 am Reply with quote
Maybe the relationship between Star Trek and Galaxy Quest would be a clearer comparison? Affectionate parody?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3