• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hunter x Hunter Manga to Run 2-Part 'Kurapika Tsuioku-hen'

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuromamushi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:20 am Reply with quote
Lolack wrote:

maybe trying so hard to make chapters last more than a year? I don't know, but hardly anything happens in each chapter

Hardly anything happens in a single Bleach chapter, either. Or a Naruto chapter. Also, while I think the post-timeskip stuff in OP hasn't measured up to the Battle of Marineford arc, it still isn't bad at all. The Marineford arc was actually so epic that there has to be calm after a storm.

TwEeD wrote:

I really tried, multiple times, but to me HxH is nowhere what it is made out to be. While the most heard argument is that it is more "intelligent" it just follows the same formula that the big shounen titles use laid out by Dragonball (which is the title I grew up with early eighties way before they got to DBZ) but apart from a few clever ideas really doesn't attain the level of quality it is made out to be by those fans. It's nowhere as engaging or entertaining imo and isn't something I could marathon which I've done with other big name shounen titles (I have a high level of tolerance as I tend to be forgiving on titles that have many faults but still have a certain quality in them as long as it keeps me engaged/entertained).

Have you checked out the Phantom Troupe arc (that's ongoing in the current HxH anime)? Nothing that Naruto, Bleach or even One Piece have ever dished out comes close to its impeccably built, mature storytelling that's still very shounen manga like and the series really achieves heights that few other shounen manga ever have. The Greed Island arc is more traditional shounen, but it retains the brilliant innovation and twists. The Chimera Ant arc is epic in scale and with it, Togashi makes a grand return to darker and deeper issues.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2