• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Oklahoma Students to Be Disciplined for 'Death Note'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:30 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
They never learn, do they?
And that goes for both sides. I don't know how many times I've had to point out how the last time schools decided that kids doing this kind of hateful thing were "just fantasizing" a bunch of their students got shot to death by the "fantasizers." Wake up people. Schools are a place where parents leave their kids with complete trust and faith in the staff that their kids will be safe. Therefore, it is the staff's responsibility to make 110% sure that they meet the parents' trust. And so, even "small things" like this ( :roll: ) should be taken very seriously. It is even said that calling the police is the school's policy for such matters, and yet the principal will still be handling the student's punishment. These are the types of things that people (kids included) should not joke around with.

I completely agree. Anyone remember Columbine? Even at a young age, young kids still have the potential to become dangerious. Schools should take all threats like these very seriously these days. Even joking, threating to shoot someone or kill someone is unacceptable.

That includes young people and older people. But what truly boggles my mind, even after eight straight years of watching anime, is why in world any parent would let a elementary student watch Death Note?

The name alone should be obvious this isn't a kid friendly show and shouldn't be watched by anyone under the age of seventeen or older (depending on the maturity of the person). This is quite frightning, as some young people at that age can't tell fact from fiction.

But this will be yet another headache for Viz Media though.
kk2extreme

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:41 am Reply with quote
why do they even sell death note notebook on ebay. Confused
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:41 am Reply with quote
OMFG what the hell is wrong with these school officials? They seriously think that the Death Note actually works? Did they take their stupid pills that day or something? I mean, come on, if you seriously think that a notebook that kills people just by looking at their face actually works, then it should be them and not the students that need some checking out.

Maybe they should focus more on getting guns and violence out of schools instead of focusing on something that won't even work. BTW, why in the hell are elementary schoolers reading/watching Death Note? Last time I checked, it was rated "TV-MA." That means 17 and older, parents.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Namia_the_Theif_18

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Namia_the_Theif_18 wrote:
Ok, we all know clearier than HELL ON A FOGGY NITE that
the death note does NOT WORK!!
have we ever seen a person get killed from one of these death notes?!?!? !

But we haven't seen one not getting killed by one of those death notes either. And that proves your theory wrong!

Quote:
Kids need to understand that NOT everything that happens in animes is REAL!!

Are you telling me that Mio isn't real? Blasmephy!

true my theory is wrong
that still doesn't make it right.
if a kid pointed a fake squirt gun to a kid saying "i've come to deliver some bad luck" they'd probably get mad too.

not only that too, it all depends on how old these kids were
and all that.

HOWEVER, we did have an incident where a kid buried another kid in the sand cause he saw it on Naruto
the kids were like 5 or 6...,....i don't c them gettin suspended
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
HOWEVER, we did have an incident where a kid buried another kid in the sand cause he saw it on Naruto

...You gotta be kidding me. xDDDD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote
This is very serious. For all of you who are justifying that it is okay to write a death note because "it vents frustration", just shut up! You don't know what you are talking about. Kids who buy Death Notes, or simply write hit lists are in need of help. These are kids who are bullied, picked on, and may even have family problems on top of that, who don't have a voice to speak up. People like that need counseling to get the help they need. They need to be encouraged and taught to stick up for themselves because they have a voice and they are allowed to use it. Kids who are picked on constantly by bullies and don't stand up for themselves, can develop an unhealthy imagination that involves killing, terrorism, and all sorts of violent acts. If something is not done, those fantasies can and do become reality.
With psychological help, I think these kids will be fine. Of course, the bullies should also be dealt with, as in fact they are the ones that are creating a possible terrorist to be, and if the kids have any trouble at home, it should be addressed.

Some of you don't understand that writing death notes or hitlists, is in fact unhealthy. That is why people take those seriously. It has been psychologically proven that people who write lists like that, do in fact have disturbance, and if they do not receive help, they will act on them. I understand people become frustrated when thye are picked on or bullied. I should know. In elemnetary school I was picked on as well. But I had help, and in 6th grade, I let my voice be heard. I really started standing up for myself. By the end of 8th grade, I won both the battle and the war, no weapons used. I was given the nickname "Rebel" by a classmate who acknowleged my strength. I didn't let anybody push me around after 5th grade. Before, I didn't stand up for myself, and I did have some violent fantasies, because I didn't give voice. But then when I gave voice and stood up for myself, the violent fantasies went away. I was getting the help I needed.

So for those of you who are tired of hearing about death notes and people writing hitlists: deal with it. It's gonna happen. For those who justify writing death notes and hitlists, I pity you. Either you were picked on and never gave voice, so you "vented" by writing crap, instead of seeking help and realizing it's totally okay to stand up for yourself, or you simply just don't understand. Or maybe you are a bully who wants to do that to your victims who could be innocent? Judging by some of the responses, it hard to tell if you were bullied or are the bully.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
This is very serious. For all of you who are justifying that it is okay to write a death note because "it vents frustration", just shut up! You don't know what you are talking about. Kids who buy Death Notes, or simply write hit lists are in need of help. These are kids who are bullied, picked on, and may even have family problems on top of that, who don't have a voice to speak up. People like that need counseling to get the help they need. They need to be encouraged and taught to stick up for themselves because they have a voice and they are allowed to use it. Kids who are picked on constantly by bullies and don't stand up for themselves, can develop an unhealthy imagination that involves killing, terrorism, and all sorts of violent acts. If something is not done, those fantasies can and do become reality.
With psychological help, I think these kids will be fine. Of course, the bullies should also be dealt with, as in fact they are the ones that are creating a possible terrorist to be, and if the kids have any trouble at home, it should be addressed.

Some of you don't understand that writing death notes or hitlists, is in fact unhealthy. That is why people take those seriously. It has been psychologically proven that people who write lists like that, do in fact have disturbance, and if they do not receive help, they will act on them. I understand people become frustrated when thye are picked on or bullied. I should know. In elemnetary school I was picked on as well. But I had help, and in 6th grade, I let my voice be heard. I really started standing up for myself. By the end of 8th grade, I won both the battle and the war, no weapons used. I was given the nickname "Rebel" by a classmate who acknowleged my strength. I didn't let anybody push me around after 5th grade. Before, I didn't stand up for myself, and I did have some violent fantasies, because I didn't give voice. But then when I gave voice and stood up for myself, the violent fantasies went away. I was getting the help I needed.

So for those of you who are tired of hearing about death notes and people writing hitlists: deal with it. It's gonna happen. For those who justify writing death notes and hitlists, I pity you. Either you were picked on and never gave voice, so you "vented" by writing crap, instead of seeking help and realizing it's totally okay to stand up for yourself, or you simply just don't understand. Or maybe you are a bully who wants to do that to your victims who could be innocent? Judging by some of the responses, it hard to tell if you were bullied or are the bully.

I completly agree with you and what you wrote was truthful and well written. Death notes and hit lists are serious matters and should never under any circumstance be taken lightly. Even if joking, its not normal to make hitlists or deathnotes. Its one thing to wish somone would understand that cruelness isn't nice, but wanting to murder them is going way too far.

Most of us have been bullied in some way, but that never justfies murder or otherwise torture. Simply because one needs to vent doesn't justify creating a hitlist or deathnote. There are much more healthier ways to vent.

Schools should always treat a deathnote as if it were to happen, because in reality, a deathnote is nothing more than a cry for help/warning. If I had any family going to that school, I certainly would want this handled with the upmost seriousness.

But what still confuses me is why any parent would let their child watch a violent show like Death note in the first place? The rating for Death Note is TV MA, meaning 17 or older Truly a mystery.
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:

Well how many school-shootings has 'Aussie-land' had in the past decade or so? What's the statistics for kids murdering each other down there? Because its pretty high here in America-land. Just in my hometown a few years back, a 7th grader brought a gun to his school hidden in his jacket. Luckily one of his classmates knew about it and turned him in before he decided to use it.

Australia has only had one school shooting ... well not really school but an university (College).

But Australia constantly tries to fix it's country to be safer. Right after the really tragic Port Arthur shooting, the then Prime Minster John Howard, immediately placed a higher restrictions on all guns. Making it so much harder to gain access to guns.

Then the Monash University shooting happened, and John Howard then again made even more restrictions on hand held guns. And then doubled the time for punishment for illegally using a gun. (We don't have death penalties in Australia)

I think that we have only had 8 shootings over the past century.

The main reason is the access to guns. Sure one mentally insane person goes on a shooting and kills 10 people once a decade or so in Australia. But if you have a larger population, with more mentally unstable people with access to guns. Of course you would be scared.

Heck I live in what people call the "gang orientated" area in my city. And I feel pretty safe walking outside at night. People are generally pretty okay here, you don't provoke them, they don't react.

But like Youkai Warrior did say, yes. People do need help if they are being bullied and harassed at school. But seriously, every single person thinks "Oh I wouldn't be upset if this certain person would die ..." and you know that you have at least thought "I wish you would die."

It is a natural thing for us to want obstacles out of the way, writing it down doesn't mean we are mentally unstable. Plus you have no idea how every single human mind works. Some people can only vent their frustration by doing dark things. Some people like to play sport, play the piano, listen to music, go on the computer and some people like to write names down of people they don't like. It probably makes them feel like they have a little bit of control.

You know that internet death note? I myself have written a few things in it. I know my religious friends have too. But look at me, I'm one of the singularly most anti-gun person in existence, I believe that murder and suicide is one of the worst things to commit and I'm not religious. So does that mean I should get suspended or expelled because I wrote a name in a fictional book?

It is the job of counselors to determine if there was malice or not, not the school board or us. If there is, then let them get professional help. If not, then sort out the situation and help the poor kid.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:01 am Reply with quote
TheFutureMrs.Uzumaki wrote:
Quote:

The kid died, so it isn't really all that funny. Confused

Quote:
Anyone remember Columbine?

Anyone remember all the schools where this didn't happen?
I'm lead to believe that there's up to several of them!

Quote:
Some of you don't understand that writing death notes or hitlists, is in fact unhealthy.

It's not about 'not understanding' it. I don't believe it for an instant. It's totally harmless. Lots of kids do things like this, and a lot worse - I know I did, and I've had conversations with other people (from different backgrounds and schools) who played similar such games. Totally harmless, and part of the growing process for a lot of people.

I'm not going to say the game I played, but it really makes this 'Death Note' thing seem like Child's Play, so to speak. And I turned out totally fine without getting 'help'. Wink
Larom

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I guess the first amendment doesn't apply anymore. Actually, when did it ever? You are allowed to write down anything you want within reason. Meaning anything that will not hurt someone else. Which writing in the Death Note will not.

The Death Note is a work of fiction. The person thats name is written in the Death Note will NOT die.

The majority of the names that are written in the Death Note pretty much deserve something bad happen to them, in real life I mean. I don't think these kids would do it if the other kids that had their name written down didn't do something bad to them. By this age, they should have a conscience. Don't give me this shit about "Oh the bullies have it hard at home so it's okay for them to act out at school." Nonsense bullshit. School shootings is the result of what bullies and immoral bastards do to the innocent. So I see nothing wrong with evil people getting what they deserve.
tetrarina

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
well . . . tha evils of tha world should be blamed on tha source not a scapegoat . . . this runs along tha similar lines of blaming music and tv and video games for someone getting hurt or dying . . . as a parent myself i truly believe that we hav more influence over our kids either directly or indirectly and tha fact is kids do dumb things when they are mad because they are selfish and learning themselves

i dont think it has as much to do with religion or politics . . . if anything that jus makes things worse . . .

that said Death Note is not tha problem since tha problem has existed long before Death Note
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote
o_o try to remove the "Death Note" sting that has been plaguing a lot
of these threads. I have to say the following.

1) The list has to have been influenced by the series in some way, believe it or not, whether there have been news like this in the past.

2) Children are probably watching it because they could have been seeing it from older siblings in the house. It's not always because the "parents aren't monitoring what they're watching." Considering that, or parents watch it with their children and don't tell them about it...nonetheless, the show does carry mature themes and the likely fact that they understand a lot of what's going on in the series is pretty unlikely.

3) Though I think it's correct that they took action, my concern is what they will do with these kids. As elementary school students they still have right to an education, I don't think they pose a serious threat, but hopefully can get to the bottom of this and find out what these problems are...they either may be troubled children or they just used it to vent out their frustrations. Banning them from school? Eh....I don't think that's the best idea.

Trust me, I've wanted to punch some people and others have their moments of thinking weird thoughts from time to time. It's "normal." Though acting upon it is completely different.

-.- yeah, that's about it.
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quote
TheFutureMrs.Uzumaki wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
The kid died, so it isn't really all that funny. Confused

Moreso, I was laughing at the fact that someone actually tried it. I would never laugh at someone's death...unless it's Kira/Light from Death Note.
_L_Lawliet_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quote
TC-man wrote:
Would the boys be also disciplined in a similar way if they had used voodoo dolls instead of Death Notes (inspired by the manga/anime)?

And we are speaking here about kids from an elementary school, wow, their minds are really screwed up at such a young age; what kind of parents do they have?

voodoo-->wara ningyo--> another note:los angeles bb murder cases=obsessive fan[but im not a fangirl...i think...=i cant stand them]

wOw non-otaku people and school people(like teachers, principals,and the school board) really do know nothing about anime or fandom and everything else in between. FYI, im still in elementary school and i tried to make my teacher read death note, and guess what? i failed miserably but i didn't get in trouble. why i failed? my teacher thinks ryuk (you knw, the shinigami?) is really creepy and she thinks death note is crap

...come to think,adults usually focus on the BAD stuff aka kira part of the series rather than the GOOD stuff aka L,SPK,and the task force part of the series. i speak from experience, ok? like i said, i attempted it very recently and now, the other otaku in my class are completely...how do i say it...AWKWARD or something like that.....and i'll just keep ranting like this...

and they have something against death note when even first graders play grand theft auto. shouldnt they be paying more attention to something like that?honestly,therers this half japanese teacher in my school that doesnt care if you read naruto in class but majority of teachers care if your a death note fan or not?god, teachers are stupid asses

i bet you people wont believe me because...well it's coming out of a 12-year old otaku that's supposedly shouldnt be on this forum in the first place...*sighs* WHAT IS HUMANITY BECOMING?!

*rant rant rant*

Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by _L_Lawliet_ on Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4