• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Ninjas of the Sea

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:31 am Reply with quote
I'm still happy with my copies of Maria+Holic
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:45 am Reply with quote
I finished Train + Train a long time ago but it was still a pretty good series to read. Granted it was only 6 volumes, but I really enjoyed it. I recommend it too, if anyone's interested.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote
I'm having the same problems with Nightschool, but then again I have an absolute loathing of phrophecies. It's such an easy out for an author to use to explain why the protag has to do such and such, "It's destiny!" Think I actually facepalmed when this came up in Harry Potter, but that was better handled than most and I don't have the same faith in Nightschool.
Same for the hunter backstory, I'm interested to see how it connects in, but at the same time they feel like characters from half a dozen other urban fantasy stories. She's going to have a tricky time balancing the plot lines until we get even more background information, gah, wish the books came out faster.
Train + Train looks interesting and it's been a while since I read that part of FMA so I guess I need to do a full reread sometime soon. Probably a good idea anyway with the anime, the manga has so many big plot points that they really do blend together in the end and that makes the new anime a real treat to see it all again.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Ninja Girls has a plot, huh? I was tempted to pick up the first volume, but I passed in light of the obvious fanservice and probable harem that would come out of it. Instead I went for Rosario+Vampire... Which was probably a worse choice.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Interesting verdict on Maria+Holic, in the light of the anime being hysterical A+++ material courtesy of Shaft. Did the studio improve THAT much on the source material? I may have to check out just to compare...
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I've read one chapter of Nightschool (in Yen+) and quite liked it, plus I love Drama*con, so I'll probably pick this one up eventually. Svetlana is pretty amazing (and super nice in person as well).
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I love Nightschool. I have faith that Chmakova will come up with a satisfying use of the hunters eventually (or maybe I like the freckled megane boy too much to care Very Happy). I'm intrigued by the connection between the Hunter teacher and the Nightschool teacher (which is presumably kept to themselves) and nothing makes me smile more than a series that knows not to take its fantastical characters (especially its vampires!) too seriously! I didn't even think of the Potter connection much before you mentioned it, because it has so much unique and fun stuff of its own going on, and Svetlana has the audacity to poke fun at the genres she's using (I loved the Twilight/Vampire Kisses shout out in vol. 1).

One nit-pick: Svetlana Chmakova is Canadian, not American (not that it's such a big diff).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1