• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Itsudatte My Podcast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I assume justin did the blurays for when the seagulls cry/ umineko/ umineko no naku no koro ni for NIS I am curious of what he thinks of the horrible adaptation of the game.
Zump

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Ninja Scroll, while never having been an indicator of what anime was in its day, still holds up for me as an action flick. There are times when you feel like watching a movie about a tough guy kicking a lot of ass. I would say it earned its stripes and at least has smarter direction and better production values than most of the ultra violent anime (a lot of which I actually enjoy) of its day.

Yeah, I was never a Tenchi fan, even when it was airing on Toonami. I watched the first OVA years later and thought it was merely mediocre, so I don't feel compelled to watch anymore installments.

Based on how Zac and Justin described it, Saikano sounds like one of those poorly-written shows that thinks it's smarter than it is and only got a free pass from anime fans for being depressing and "dark". Having not seen the show myself, I have to ask: does the show try to throw tasteless/brutal imagery (i.e., rape, murder, characters you're supposed to care about dying left and right, puppies being beaten to death, etc.) at the viewer repeatedly in a desperate attempt to shock them?
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
My traditional Christmas anime has always been the Sailor Moon S movie. The manga is more explicitly a Christmas story, but the movie still has Tuxedo Mask as Santa.

KyoAni does everything in-house. They don't send their in-betweens overseas.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I might get shit by saying this, but I agree with Zac. The story in Bakemonogatari is not that great. That is the reason that has kept Bakemonogatari, in my book, from being a Masterpiece.

Funny that Zac mentions the otaku pandering on Bakemonogatari. I did not notice much of it when I first watched it about two years ago. The BD set was expensive, but it is worth it for me for this great anime.
I'll agree with this. I think Bake was good but not great. I also agree that it is otaku pandering but like Zach said its pretty polished which I think helps to minimize it. Nisemonogatari, on the other hand is full on otaku pandering and I found it to be a real turn-off.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I might get shit by saying this, but I agree with Zac. The story in Bakemonogatari is not that great. That is the reason that has kept Bakemonogatari, in my book, from being a Masterpiece.

Funny that Zac mentions the otaku pandering on Bakemonogatari. I did not notice much of it when I first watched it about two years ago. The BD set was expensive, but it is worth it for me for this great anime.
I'll agree with this. I think Bake was good but not great. I also agree that it is otaku pandering but like Zach said its pretty polished which I think helps to minimize it. Nisemonogatari, on the other hand is full on otaku pandering and I found it to be a real turn-off.

I am just saying that Bakemonogatari's story is not that good, but I still think the overall anime is great. I do agree that Nisemonogatari is inferior to Bakemonogatari, though.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Zac that it seems like a mistake not to dub Hellsing: The Dawn or at the very least to call attention to it in the extras. It is heavily hinted at in the credits of the earlier volumes of the OVAs, so not advertising it was odd. It certainly isn't what I'd call an average extra. Then again, the second set came with a box that only holds two sets when there is obviously going to be a third one coming, so I have to wonder what the decision process was in regards to the extras for Hellsing.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
To answer Justin's thinking aloud in response to my question about future "Anime Economy" articles… as a once and future video nerd, I'd love to see Justin do an in-depth article about compression and anime disc authoring, with lots of nitty-gritty about H.264/MPEG-2/VC-1 and BD-LIVE, and revel in his battle-scarred stories of wrangling Blu-Ray, but I have no idea if it would be of interest to normal people, such as those who don't know any of the aforementioned jargon.

As a minor discussion point, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by this, but when I get a dual-pack like the Madoka LE, I'm struck by how there's little or no difference in the menus and features between the Blu-Ray and the DVD… probably because there's no way to justify the cost of authoring two different sets of materials. Still, it means the only advantage of Blu is the HD, and that's a bit of a comedown from all the whiz-bang features originally touted in the Blu-Ray format.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
fireaxe wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Nice show, thanks for the Saikano spoilers, I was actually just going to watch it. Fortunately for me, I was in reach of the power plug, so when I hear "It ended with the guy on a bed..." I jumped and pulled the plug out of the speakers.

Hmm I don't recall any spoilers mentioned in the podcast, you're probably paraphrasing the part where Justin said it

I honestly don't know. I unplugged the speakers. I though a spoiler was coming.

Yeah, after going back to listen that part again, the podcast is safe unless you didn't already know that Saikano is a lot more tragic than it seems at first glance.

Zump wrote:

Based on how Zac and Justin described it, Saikano sounds like one of those poorly-written shows that thinks it's smarter than it is and only got a free pass from anime fans for being depressing and "dark". Having not seen the show myself, I have to ask: does the show try to throw tasteless/brutal imagery (i.e., rape, murder, characters you're supposed to care about dying left and right, puppies being beaten to death, etc.) at the viewer repeatedly in a desperate attempt to shock them?

I certainly wouldn't say that it's poorly written, on the contrary.
spoiler[I know where you're getting at with your examples, but I honestly don't think that Saikano is one of those shows. The show doesn't go for shock value (à la Elfen Lied for example), it's an incredibly sad story about a young couple living in a warring state, in a world that's going to sh*t. Let's just say that they don't produce anime like Saikano anymore, an heart-wrenching story with crude visuals... it's a really tough sell.
]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
Natsume Yuujinchou is a masterpiece.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:30 am Reply with quote
I loved wreck it ralph. I know a lot of people felt they spent to long in suger rush, but I wouldn't want them to cut anything out of that section really. I was so pleased by how everything came together in wreck it ralph. I also would agree that Gina was horrible for asking that question.

The two shows I would recommend above all else this season (that started this season) are My Little Monster and Magi. Which is surprising since I didn't really like the first episode of either of those shows. if you liked psycho-pass episode 1 at all you'd probably like it now since it's less info dumpy and doesn't try to hard in other episodes (kinda like how they put the male lead in my little monster on mood stabilizers after episode 1).
I would recommend from the new world but episode 8 was really weird and show is just getting weirder and weirder, time skip two years and now everyone is either a gay or lesbian (not that I have much of a problem with the relationships but there sudden appearance when previously the show was setup up other heterosexual pairings).
partysmores

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
>hey, new ANNCast (ten year old bro is in room)

(swearing warning) "eh, not so much this time"

"Sweet, I don't have to wait to listen to this one this time!"

"You deal with ****ing holiday travel..."

wow thanks ANNCast now he's going around saying that over and over again

Anyways, good podcast (with headphones).

Last edited by partysmores on Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
When will you guys be releasing the podcast for the Best Anime of the 00s? Really liked what you did with the 80s and 90s.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
jeromeskee wrote:
When will you guys be releasing the podcast for the Best Anime of the 00s? Really liked what you did with the 80s and 90s.

Zac said in an earlier episode that the Best of the 00's episode was going to be the Christmas episode.
partysmores

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
jeromeskee wrote:

Man, I was just thinking about that. Christmas is gonna be pretty sweet, and I'm gonna try to send in my Twitter Top 3 for once.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Count me in the camp of people who think that Bakemonogatari is all sizzle and no steak. And Overcharge of America wants $200 for it? Have I got something they can bite.

I did like Saikano, though; fortunately, I got all the DVDs cheap in a way that Viz wouldn't get any money (still hate 'em; broad amounts of censorship are impossible for me to forgive). Can't say I disagree with what y'all have said about it, though. Zump: It does have a few characters you're supposed to care about dying, but nothing as base as rape (that I can remember) or cute pets meeting a cruel end. It's sad rather than shocking.

Ninja Scroll: The foremost example of what a friend of mine once termed "goblin anime," or lowest common denominator rubbish that thinking people look at and ask "just what kind of morons do you think we are?" right to its face.

ADV Holiday Editions: The Eva collection's key art didn't have anything Christmas-themed in it. Chrono Crusade's was obviously taken from a poster insert from a December issue of a Japanese anime magazine.

Great show; looking forward to the Best of the Oughts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3