• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Itsudatte My Podcast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Now that I listened to the podcast: I see you mentioned Tokyo Godfathers ^^ It's true that christmas isn't much of an important holiday in Japan (officially it's not a holiday at all). It's mostly a "couples night", a night to go on a romantic rendezvous, eat a christmas cake with your boyfriend / girlfriend. Not at all the kind of big thing it's in the West, with a special atmosphere, family reunion, celebrating charity etc. Not even exchanging presents is all that common in Japan.

Zac's reaction to SaiKano is why I'm scared of re-watching those shows I rated 10/10 or 9/10 some years ago Anime hyper I feel like many of them might barely manage to be a 8/10 for me now ...

Bakemonogatari - yep, it's a geek show. A stylish one, but ultimately still mostly for otaku (or teenagers) only. The author wrote it when he was like 25 years old, so it's not too surprising that content-wise it's not all that amazing (I also found the newer Katanagatari by the same author pretty juvenile). It just has a little bit more substance than the average otaku show. That's maybe why it became so successful + the stylish fanservice. Personally I also really disliked the young girl fanservice, with Mayoi and or even Nadeko ...

A lack of good screenwriters in animes - I believe that readily. It's the impression I've been having for years. Even though I'm still not sure why Light Novel adaptions are supposed to be info-dumpy ... can't think of all that many that fit this description (on the contrary, I feel that most don't even have enough "info" to do any dumping).
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:09 am Reply with quote
You know, I actually kind of liked Itsudatte My Santa.

This surprises people because the show is notoriously bad, and anyone who knows me would probably be even more surprised since I tend to like things that are deep and complex. However, I like Itsudatte My Santa. I'm not being subversive or 'ironic' about it either. I don't do that.

What I like about it is how it doesn't waste any time with itself. the pacing is breakneck and somehow that makes everything hilarious. for example, he eats the bad food and instantly pukes out laser beams, and then she eats it and does the same. The sheer rapidity and lack of any beats in this sequence is what does it for me. It takes the classical sentimental christmas story, tacks on the whole sort of subversive funny chrismas story (think ELF or the santa clause or something), and then runs off a cliff with it, and takes it past the point of perversion, while showing you everything in double time.

Ultimately, the main joke of the show is not beating around the bush with certain things, and delivering a swift and unexpected punchline that just shuts down the situation. The best example of this is when Mai is in the shower explaining how in her true form she is much more mature and has the power to grant kids wishes and dreams, and Santa is outside listening. Not having any of this, he wryly snaps, "So leave, and come back as her."

Ultimately I guess I get why people hate this, but I don't know. I found it genuinely funny.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote
eyevocal wrote:
Count me in the camp of people who think that Bakemonogatari is all sizzle and no steak. And Overcharge of America wants $200 for it? Have I got something they can bite.

The Bakemonogatari BD set is expensive (it is $150 at TRSI). I think that those who paid that much for it did it because the show is that special to them (I am one of those who bought it).

On the idea that Bakemonogatari is all sizzle and no steak, I disagree somewhat. The story is not the best ever told, but it is not crappy. Some characters have interesting back stories too. And of course the production values are exceptional.

To sum it up, Bakemonogatari is a visually striking show that has a story, not great, but good (my impression of it improved after having watched the BD set). Now, I ask you this: for as much of many of us who love Cowboy Bebop, isn't it mostly sizzle and little steak?
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I always hated Saikano when it came out. I had NO idea why people liked it. Was such a waste of time u_u I felt I was watching some horror anime, and people told me they felt for the characters. Not for me!
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
eyevocal wrote:
Count me in the camp of people who think that Bakemonogatari is all sizzle and no steak. And Overcharge of America wants $200 for it? Have I got something they can bite.

The Bakemonogatari BD set is expensive (it is $150 at TRSI). I think that those who paid that much for it did it because the show is that special to them (I am one of those who bought it).

I didn't buy it because it was special to me. I hadn't seen more than an episode or two in the distant past, so it was pretty much a blind-buy. I was interested in it, though I bought it more as a show of support for the translation of the character commentaries. Stuff like that needs to happen more often... I'm not quite sure when I'll get around to hearing them, because it'll be another week or two before I finish watching the series. ^^
eyevocal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
eyevocal wrote:

On the idea that Bakemonogatari is all sizzle and no steak, I disagree somewhat. The story is not the best ever told, but it is not crappy. Some characters have interesting back stories too. And of course the production values are exceptional.

To sum it up, Bakemonogatari is a visually striking show that has a story, not great, but good (my impression of it improved after having watched the BD set). Now, I ask you this: for as much of many of us who love Cowboy Bebop, isn't it mostly sizzle and little steak?

Late reply, but I wasn't aware of your own reply until today, when I had to do some checking back on my own posts.

No. Bebop may not have had a single continuous storyline, but it did well with its side stories and developed its characters well. In the -monogatari franchise, the constant hammering of style touches like quick-flash text screens and the yay-thousand head-tilt shots swamped everything else it had to offer and put me to sleep when the local anime club showed it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3