• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Gets 15 Years in Anime, Twilight Cross-Country Case

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Good thing they got him, nobody should use any medium, anime or not, to lure a minor like that. We're just lucky they got him.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Good.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
[Fourzan] wanted to see Forks, from that movie Twilight. That's not my bag, though.

Huh. I guess that just goes to show that everyone has at least some redeeming qualities. Wink
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Slightly related: whatever happened to that guy with the Hiei avatar who used to show up in these threads claiming that we had it wrong and this was really about abusive parents lying to the police to get their daughter back? We kept pressing him for proof, but he never gave any. Was he just talking out of his ass after all?
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Was he just talking out of his ass after all?

Isn't that how everyone acts on dah web?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
This is depressing. I've seen news articles of people raping children younger and weaker (not that that matters) and only getting 4-10 years. In fact most of the cases I've read about have been that few and yet kidnapping alone gets 15? Kid I went to school with only got 7 for murder and my friend's ex got only 5 for rape..... I don't understand this system at all.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm having like...serious deja-vu here. Didn't a similar thing happen not that long ago, with the mom saying the same thing in response? Either that, or I'm predicting the future, because I all but swear I've read about this thing before - only minus the Twilight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brand

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
This is depressing. I've seen news articles of people raping children younger and weaker (not that that matters) and only getting 4-10 years. In fact most of the cases I've read about have been that few and yet kidnapping alone gets 15? Kid I went to school with only got 7 for murder and my friend's ex got only 5 for rape..... I don't understand this system at all.

If you are under aged and not tried as an adult the punishment is less harsh. People don't want to pretty much put a kid in jail for the rest of their life. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but that is the mentality of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ryukage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In fact most of the cases I've read about have been that few and yet kidnapping alone gets 15?

I agree. If he never did her any physical harm and she came along willingly, the sentence is extremely harsh and will likely be appealed. Let me emphasize that he should go to prison for what he did, but a 15 year sentence is more like grandstanding and less like justice.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

There may be mitigating factors in each of these cases.

A child who commits a crime will not be punished as harshly, even in cases of rape or murder.

Likewise, a non-premeditated crime will not be punished as harshly.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, crimes committed against children will be treated more harshly.

You kidnap a child, and the sentence could very well be more severe than it would if you had murdered an adult (especially if the kidnapping was premeditated, and the murder was impulsive).

ryukage wrote:
If he never did her any physical harm and she came along willingly, the sentence is extremely harsh and will likely be appealed. Let me emphasize that he should go to prison for what he did, but a 15 year sentence is more like grandstanding and less like justice.

Worth keeping in mind that he may have done more. Had he raped the girl (forcibly, or by lack of adult consent), the public would not be informed. Likewise, even if he never had sex with her, if it became clear that was his intent, it would increase the severity of his punishment.

-t
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote
ryukage wrote:
the sentence is extremely harsh and will likely be appealed.

I doubt he would (could?) appeal, since he pled guilty. More likely he got unlucky with the judge/jurisdiction, plus the press attention on it. But it's also unlikely he will do all that time, since they didn't mention "without parole". Some laws don't allow it, but the news usually mentions that.

Justice isn't the greatest in the U.S., and lack of money gets you pretty much screwed because the best attorney wins, but it's better than most overall. It's like that old saying: democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the rest of them.

Still, there's no excuse for what he did. I have no sympathy for him. If you can't do the time....
SpacePope

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
I doubt he would (could?) appeal, since he pled guilty.

IANAL, but I think a penalty can be appealed even with a guilty plea. The conviction itself wouldn't be a matter of dispute, though.

pparker wrote:
Justice isn't the greatest in the U.S., and lack of money gets you pretty much screwed because the best attorney wins, but it's better than most overall. It's like that old saying: democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the rest of them.

But we can make it better and more reasonable, right? You're not invoking the "kids are starving in China, so eat these disgusting overcooked vegetables" canard, are you? Even veggies can be cooked better and given some flavoring.

Quote:
Still, there's no excuse for what he did. I have no sympathy for him. If you can't do the time....

Well, "the [amount of] time" is the matter of contention here, isn't it? Perhaps he reasonably figured that he might get 5 years instead of 15 since she wasn't being forced to come along with him. I'm sorry, I've just always disliked that expression because few people know what "the time" is in the first place, and it's oftentimes applied to petty crimes with heavy punishments or activities that shouldn't be crimes in the first place, and it's such a cop-out expression used to stifle dissent that...

wait a minute...

egoist wrote:
BellosTheMighty wrote:

*sigh* You're right. Why am I even having this conversation? It's not as if what I post here is going to affect the guy's appeal. In fact, is anyone in authority even reading this?
RebirthedDuelist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Disgusting, using anime to lure minors, and bringing a bad name to all of the people who like anime.
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quote
SpacePope wrote:
But we can make it better and more reasonable, right? You're not invoking the "kids are starving in China, so eat these disgusting overcooked vegetables" canard, are you?

Not saying it can't be improved. Talking about the current state of the legal system, as it applies to this guy, today. I would love to see reform, in fact a drastic amount of it that instead of putting people in prison for small crimes would spend that money on actually developing a proper educational and rehabilitation methodology for avoiding and reducing severe criminal acts. Our system is a joke, when you consider the percentage of Americans that are in jail and why. Still, as opposed to having limbs chopped off or being tossed in jail for disagreeing with the ruling party, yes, it's better.

SpacePope wrote:
I've just always disliked that expression because few people know what "the time" is in the first place, and it's oftentimes applied to petty crimes with heavy punishments or activities that shouldn't be crimes in the first place, and it's such a cop-out expression used to stifle dissent that...

Yes, I could argue specifics, but the bottom line is that is not a cop-out. Every individual is fully responsible for the decisions they make, period. Under the current system, or whatever system of justice one is subject to, we may treat them unfairly as a society, but being a part of that society means that one follows the law or suffers the consequences, or moves to another jurisdiction. The solution is to change the law and the way justice is administered, and to focus on prevention instead of just tossing people into boxes. Unfortunately, our educational system doesn't consider training people in "life" to be a worthy pursuit (oh, you mean they didn't offer an Ethics and Critical Reasoning course in your junior high school?)... and there is the real can of worms.

Now I'm off to watch some fantasy anime... because, yes, discussing this on the Internet, much less an anime forum, is likely to be a far less profitable use of time Smile.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
BellosTheMighty wrote:

It is, which is why I'm not too worried about it. The problem is that if he has NO evidence, it was just blatant lies. In my experience, this is out of character for internet blowhards who think they have the moral high ground. They prefer to take the facts and use them as evidence that society is buggered, or what have you. Then get on their soapbox and rant for awhile.

But eh, whatever. If he can't show the source, I guess we'll have to conclude he was spinning fairy tales.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2