• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Naruto Shippūden DVD 1

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raikuro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
Hopefully Naruto gets the Dragon Ball Kai treatment whenever it finishes. That way Shippūden will actually be enjoyable instead of just semi-tolerable.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:36 am Reply with quote
Damn. No matter what your views on Naruto, you have to feel sorry (at least a little bit) for the fans who have to buy the singles. I mean, Naruto Shippuden already has had 139 episodes aired, and at an insultingly low four episodes per DVD, it will take thirty-five DVDs just to catch up to where the Japanese broadcast currently is. And I'm pretty sure the DVDs won't be released at a rate of one a week (not even close), meaning the English-language DVDs will just get even further behind both the Japanese and English broadcasts.

Definitely an example of why you just cannot treat long-running Shounen shows as normal Anime. If you are going to release them on DVD (and of course you're going to, given how profitable they are), then for god's sakes release the DVDs as boxsets.

Last edited by dtm42 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:00 am Reply with quote
Shippuuden is what killed me from watching the anime (I didn't watch any of the filler in between, having started late enough that I had five billion warnings to not bother). After about forty episodes of boring tree jumping in a canyon I gave up and switched to the manga, which I am enjoying infinitely more.
The Count

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:19 am Reply with quote
Wow I guess I'm one of the few who prefer to more serious tone. After watching Bleach, Kekasshi, D-Gray man, DBZ, and countless other similar shows Naruto is the only one that I haven't stopped watching, and still look forward to week by week,
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:27 am Reply with quote
I agree with The Count: I like Naruto's more serious tone. This increase in seriousness really picks up later on: non-trival characters die, among other things.

Admittedly, there is still filler in Shippuden -- and that filler is, IMO, greatly inferior to the canon material -- but there is much less of it.

I do not like series that go on and on without any sense of progress, but I think Naruto as a series *does* progress: maybe not as quickly as I might like, but it does happen, not just in powers, but also in the maturity level and personality of most of the characters, especially Naruto himself.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:33 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Definitely an example of why you just cannot treat long-running Shounen shows as normal Anime. If you are going to release them on DVD (and of course you're going to, given how profitable they are), then for god's sakes release the DVDs as boxsets.

Shippuden is receiving boxset releases, much like how Bleach has both singles and season sets available. I'd be willing to bet money on the singles being a mandate from the Japanese producers, and not the choice of Viz themselves, seeing as how said overseas elements still seemingly haven't completely realized that no one's particularly interested in buying them over here anymore.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:21 am Reply with quote
agree and disagree. the flaws are merrit but the grade for the dialoge isn't.

I'd bought the DVD cause the sever edits from Disney Anime hyper broadcasr were what too much even for a dubber like me. and so far on the uncut dvd side both languages are decent. I'd give both sub and dub a B- instead of a C+ . Same with the Storyline.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mimori Kiryu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:54 am Reply with quote
I mainly buy the single DVDs because I couldn't bear to watch it on Disney X/D because of the horrid cuts. :/ The dub is epically amazing (I was surprised to hear it so similar to the English dubbed Bleach) and I already own 4 DVDs and it's only been about a month or so. The boxsets only have 13 episodes on it and so I have 3 more episodes than that already.

I'll buy them all. Why the hell not? 8D
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:47 am Reply with quote
The damage is beyond repair for me. I've moved well on because of it.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:39 am Reply with quote
I lol at people talking about xd's edits when now there are none.
bsem

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
I am still watching the subbed version of this show now as I got more into anime after watching the original show. It's still pretty good, but I could barely hold my attention during this arc. It was good in manga form, but I was so bored with the Sakura+Chiyo vs. Akatsuki member fight. It was like 10-20 episodes filled with 5 minutes of the same dodge animation, talking in their heads or conversing with each other for about 15 minutes, and 2 minutes of something new like kicking, punching, or throwing of the kunais.
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:13 am Reply with quote
Why even bother with 4 episode DVDs anymore? The industry and the consumer have moved so far past that now.

Just like I did with DBZ I refuse to try and collect a series that is well over 100 episodes long in 4-5 episode DVDS. It's not happening.

If anything, the anime dub companies should start doing custom DVD boxsets with the episodes the consumer wants and with at least 10 episodes. I dunno how it will work, but certainly the old method won't work anymore.

As to the seriousness of Shippuden compared to the original, I actually appreciate that. I dislike the goofiness that often goes into shonen anime. I know that in Japan these shows are for a younger audience as well as mature, but Japanese situational humor and jokes are rarely funny to me, and it only detracts from enjoying the action and tone of what's going on. One second people are risking their life in battle and the next they are having an exaggerated response to a weird statement.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:48 am Reply with quote
Why bother with single DVDs? The boxset will be out in January.
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Naruto Shippūden is, honestly, so~ much better than regular Naruto. I mean I loved the first series and all, but when you drag on the fillers with "miracle curry," "bug-hunting-to-find-Sasuke," "ghost stories," and many other stupid ideas. Oh and don't forget the fact that Studio Pierrot spent so much on animation that they forgot to draw Naruto's head in one of the episodes! The way that the first series went annoyed me so much that I gave up on the anime and started reading the manga (I still watch the movies though). The manga is so much better.

I'm glad, though, that Viz Media is actually releasing it! And I'm glad that it's on TV as well (though I wish it wasn't on Disney, but oh well); I seriously thought that it wasn't gonna be on TV and it was just gonna be DVD release only.

And the VAs did a great job!! Especially Maile Flanagan; that woman rocks my socks. xD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
I lol at people talking about xd's edits when now there are none.

not talking about killing,death is one thing cause disney has more FCC restrictions than CN , but when thay start renaming justus and cutting out parts of epic epsiodes, that's when it's too much. And in later epsiodes it's goinna get more violent and more sever edits will have to be made. Better off to skip the TV boradcast.

TheFutureMrs.Uzumaki wrote:
And the VAs did a great job!!

I also agree though i wouldn't say about the main. If she was doing the younger naruto is fine though in some epsiode like in ep 8 she kinda trying too much to make naruto sound like a man but goes way off key in serious situations. Probably would have been for the best if they had used a different VA for naruto.

Last edited by jr240483 on Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3