• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Tears to Fears

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:49 am Reply with quote
I think a show about kendo is all about knocking socks off... Cause if you keep em on, you're gonna mess yourself up while attempting to beat things up with a big bamboo stick...
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:12 am Reply with quote
Mm. It's understandable to put Bamboo Blade and Blue Drop on the rental shelf, though I think this solidifies that I can't read your reviews as pieces of advice on what I should buy personally, considering that they were both among my favorite shows from the fall 2007 anime season. Our tastes just don't align.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:54 am Reply with quote
This was an interesting group of reviews for me (and girl-heavy, now that I think about it); all three titles I have some interest in, but I'm not sure if I want to commit to purchasing any of them... Going to have to see how the part twos are received, and as for Blue Drop, dunno...

I won't be getting anime for Christmas, either (well, strictly speaking--I do actually have some DVDs coming that are going to arrive right around then).

And I wish your parents luck being exposed to DBZ and 1.01! Laughing
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:33 am Reply with quote
Re: this week's shelf pics. The full-size pictures don't have filename extensions, so clicking on them in Firefox brings up ASCII junk. Works fine in Chrome, though.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I also enjoy Hayate X Blade, a sword-fighting comedy where lesbianism is just a matter of fact.

The last description sounds more like Strawberry Panic, and as far as I understood, the Yuri-ish relationships of Hayate Cross Blade are all mostly servicey and aren't really canon, kinda like Big Windup in a way.

It's too bad you didn't like Blue Drop too much; I thought it was a nice blend of Yuri and science-fiction and character-driven story. You should at least give it credit for featuring an overweight girl though, which is such a rarity in the realm of Anime.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I want to see realistic girls involved in non-tragic romance.

Start praying for Girl Friends or Octave to get animated adaptations! Surprised

As for Hayate x Blade, I see it more like a cross of Marimite with crazy sword action. I'm STILL utterly shocked this hasn't gotten an anime yet; it's such a crime! Mad
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:28 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Those both look pretty cool, actually. Too bad the release pattern for Girl Friends is glacial...
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:44 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

Those both look pretty cool, actually. Too bad the release pattern for Girl Friends is glacial...

At least that's monthly compared to Yuri Hime titles' dreaded quarterly releases (chapter-wise I should say).
corinthian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Kirino has a personality that's kind of grating for the first two episodes, and her shrill dubbed voice makes her nearly unbearable, but fortunately she calms down quickly and fades out of the spotlight.

I think Kirino's role is that of the over-enthusiastic member. It's a good type to introduce first, since enthusiasm might make the whole kendo thing a little more interesting to those who don't have a lot of interest. Though I don't think I've ever heard Luci Christian's work described as shrill before. I think so long as the voice fits the character it doesn't matter if it's like the Japanese voice or not.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Quote:

Or that Aoi Hana gets a States release, that was a really good yuri title.
The funny thing is that these are three shows I've wanted to watch so I guess I'll be on the look out for streams of them!
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
[quote="darkchibi07"]
Quote:

Points to Blue Drop for having an over-weight female character, the only other I can recall was the catcher from the rather enjoyable Princess Nine.

And I heartily second your comments regarding a call for more realism and less ridiculous, OTT drama or tragedy.

As for Blue Drop... "Rental" is a generous verdict. I thought the show was a tired, mish-mash; two incomplete shows smashed together like overripe bananas, yielding a mess of well-worn story/plot seen in countless other shows (the only difference being this is Yuri, and not some avg. Boy and Super Hottie Alien Girl romance). Further, trying to compress this jumble into 13 ep. only compounds it's problems as neither 1/2 show can be done with any justice, well if justice could be done to such tired ideas.

Now, don't misunderstand me, I like Yuri (if only for the fact I don't have to suffer through another Whiny, Milquetoast Harem (below avg.) Male Lead Character, or similar). As the (not always) proud owner of a Y chromosome (my gender doesn't do itself any favors most of the time), I admit a weakness for Marimite (Yes, I adore this show), Aoi Hana, and Candy Boy, just to name a few.

Indeed, one of the attractions of Yuri -beyond the obvious- is the lack of a male lead. Many anime (nowadays, I feel) put male characters in one of two camps, the Uber-Hottie, All Powerful Badass (who looks like an extra from a Duran Duran video from the 80's) or the avg. to below avg. boy (See: Milquetoast Harem Lead). Certainly I'm overgeneralizing/overstating this as there are many shows I can think of that don't fall into this failing (eg. Baccano or Black Lagoon, off the top of my head), but... Where have all the Spike Spiegels gone!?

Good Column this week, Erin! I almost mistook your title to read: Tears for Fears.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:48 pm Reply with quote
The shelf pictures aren't working.
stevek504

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Loved The Last Uniform, so thanks for the review of Blue Drop. I will need to check it out...
Cranium

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Shelf pictures crashed my browser.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Cranium wrote:
Shelf pictures crashed my browser.

We better call the ambulance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4