• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Well-animated animation.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ghostz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I recently watched Howl's Moving Castle and I was just floored at how intricate the movement of the characters flowed, it was so life-like. I've been studying 2d animation for about 5 years, mainly coming from an American comic book background. I was simply just floored by Howl's Moving Castle.

What I asking for is a recommendation. I am not exactly look for content exactly like Howl's Moving Castle or any other of Hayao Miyazaki's works but amination that's similarly well aminated, that also pays attention to detailed movement and fluidity.

This also a two part question.

Why isn't there more amination this well detailed. It's almost impossible to find?

Last edited by Ghostz on Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kirikiri23

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:57 pm Reply with quote
You spelt animation wrong lulz
anyway no it's not impossible to find

the best thing to is first look at the studios who time and time again
bring us high quality animation with great art

some good examples to start would be studio ghibli as you sort of said.
Studio bones tends to have high quality animation in their productions and studio sunrise there's also more abstract and stylistic styles of animation like from studio shaft and gainax respectively.

I hope this was helpful =)
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Ghostz wrote:
Why isn't there more amination this well detailed. It's almost impossible to find?

The short answer is because it's really expensive, and anime series tend to be on a limited budget and have to pump out a new episode weekly.

I remember some of the fight scenes from Moribito were incredible, but I can't think of what else was similarly impressive.
braves

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
In regards to detailed fights, I'd recommend Sword of the Stranger, ep. 3 of Moribito (haven't finished it yet, so I can't say if there's more like it), ep. 133 of Naruto (Norio Matsumoto(animator) and Atsushi Wakabayashi's (animation director) best work in the series), and Samurai Champloo- which has some rather interesting animation in ep. 9 and some well choreographed fights throughout.

Also look out for Mamoru Hosoda's work (yes, even his Digimon stuff). His style really works in favor of character expressions.

And Akira, FLCL, and Tokyo Godfathers too.

I can go on and on, so needless to say there really is a lot of anime that has rather expressive and fluid animation out there. I'd hardly call it hard to find- you just have to know where to look for it. Smile But you have to keep in mind there's a distinct difference between the way Western animators handle things and the way Japanese animators do- I say this because of the background that you say you're coming from. Read the first 8 or so pages of this thread, the posters there explain it far better than I ever could.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Andrez

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:

And Akira, FLCL, and Tokyo Godfathers too.

Totally agree; also, look out for Satoshi Kon's other features, Millenium Actress and Paprika; the details in these are superb.

TV series wise, I loved what Production I.G did on Ghost Hound.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote
A good number of TV titles tend to not be too well animated because as Dorcas has pointed out, they have limited animation budgets to take advantage of since they have to pump out episodes each week and in most instances, put greater focus on the quality of story than the animation quality. Movie and OAV titles tend to run on higher animation budgets since they aren't on a weekly schedule to pump out episodes thus appearing much better and being more fluid than a majority of TV anime titles.

If you're looking for well-animated action scenes in an anime TV series, your best bets from what I've been able to see are Read or Die TV, Last Exile, Moribito, Gunslinger Girl's first season and Witch Hunter Robin.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Andrez

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Last Exile, Moribito, Gunslinger Girl's first season.

Excellent shows, and you're absolutely right re: budget constraints for TV versus the bigger budget feature films.
Prede

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I'll let it be known right now that I hate the way all ghibli films look. So not sure how much help I'll be to the OP. And Howl's Moving Castle really got under my skin, I despise everything about that film. The way everything was done, so overly animated, so overly detailed it looked terrible, and like they were shouting "Look how much money we spent on this nah nah nah!" Everything looked ugly, childish, and way too detailed.

Anyway some anime that I found to be wonderfully animated, and have amazing artwork and style are:

FLCL (OVA) - The style of the entire show is hectic and crazy, but if you pay attention each episode looks very different then the others. The first episode is more "normal" and each and every episode looks weirder and weider. The director's commentary on the DVDs revealed this is due to a different art director for each episode. Something that really shows. Anyway everything is always moving, even mundane acts are animated brilliantly. And everything flows perfectly.

Paranoia Agent (TV Series) - The really great character desings, attention to detail, great backgrounds, and wonderful realistic color palette make this series a keeper in my eyes. But the fact that everything is so fluid, so wonderfully animated, really blows me away. From the rollerblading of Little Slugger, to the baseball bat hitting someone, to even the smaller acts of the regular people, everything looks life like and realistic.

Paprika (movie) - Again the style of everything was perfect. And the mix between CGI, and tradtional drawins was handled perfectly. I doubt anyone will ever outdue the opening scene of the movie, with Paprika jumping around from moving object to object, turning into this and that. So imaginitve, so fun, and so well animated! Every single thing about this movie looks amazing.

There's tons of other stuff out there I'd like to mention (like Death Note, Gunslinger Girl, Black Lagoon, Blood:The Last Vampire, Alien Nine, Ergo Proxy, Nana, Samurai Champloo etc.). But for now I'll leave it at these three. A Movie, a TV series, and an OVA. Look for the big name studios like Gainax, Gonzo, Madhouse, Production I.G., and Manglobe if you want high quality art and animation.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
If I would recomend in terms of fluid animation, I might say; The Melancholy of Haruhu Suzumiya has some very fluid parts, especialy the episode "Live alive". Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children has some very impressive animation with very fluid CGI. And I think the movie The Girl Who Leapt Through Time also has some good animation.
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Anything by Hayao Miyazaki and or by Studio Ghibli. Also, Ghost in the shell the movies and the series. Both very well animated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kittenscats

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:51 pm Reply with quote
animation totally depends on the person. honestly? i think i just really like naruto but the fluidity of that is really well done. details to me dont really matter. the only thing that gets me is when the flippin background is so detailed you cant tell what it is and the foreground and characters are so simple it prolly only took a minute to draw... consistancy people!!
miyazaki? check. otomoto? also a good one. sometimes the small company animators are better... strangely.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, as a sort of general rule if you want something that's of the best anime can offer in quality of animation, the finest works are generally the most expensive as stated above. This means you looking for things with large(r) budgets like feature films and OVA/OAV titles. Sure you can definitely find good looking and well animated television series as well, but it's a bit simpler to narrow the focus a bit to some mostly sure fire solutions right off the bat. I'd personally suggest Madhouse Studios, and Production IG, as makers of fantastic looking films. As far as individual works that were visually stunning to me I'd highly recommend the Kara no Kyoukai films, Paprika, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and Sword of the Stranger as some of the more recent ones that come to mind.

I'm not really a huge stickler for animation details though. I notice it when it's really good or when it's really bad but otherwise I couldn't care less as it's just decoration to me. What I'm more interested in is the story personally. It always really nice to find a title that has both though, a good story and impressive animation.
Skylark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I'll second the Kara no Kyoukai film series - by far the most fluid and beautifully animated series I've ever seen, and their higher budget means that they splurged pretty much every single scene. Even simple things like the character say blowing the hair out of their eyes of simply talking, hand gestures, smoking, whatever - it's all very fluid and well animated, very lifelike. The films themselves and the plot content as well make for an all-round great watch and I'd be surprised if anyone told you they didn't like it. I love type moon stuff anyways but yeah this film series absolutely blew me away.

Others I would recommend would be Samurai Champloo - though I think really the best animation is present in the first and last episodes only, it's still a great watch and there are moments throughout that you can really pick the money shots. Also, the Cowboy Bebop movie had some excellent animation and the series wasn't too shabby itself.

For something a little different, Toradora often amazed me with its quality for a 25 episode weekly tv shoujo. In general it has top notch animation in a far different context than say the usual fight scene anime switch that usually only gets flicked on when the battle begins.

I would also recommend you check out the first episode of Soul Eater - though I was somewhat depressed at how the fights grew less interesting and more generic as the series progressed, and how the animation steadily became lower quality, the first fight scene with Maka against Jack the Ripper in the first episode really is stunning.
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:29 am Reply with quote
Check out Neo-Tokyo. Produced by Rintaro, who also did Metropolis, which has some pretty stunning animation. Also his old-school Doomed Megalopolis and Harmagedon.

Also Ghost in the Shell: Innocence movie.

Casshern Sins is a 2008 series, I think available on Funi's streaming now, and on DVD in 2010. Only watched the first few eps so far, but interesting style and high-quality animation. The first and second episodes especially of Kurozuka (unlicensed), also from 2008.

Add my vote for:
Paprika (really amazing on Blu-ray)
Akira
Kara no Kyoukai films
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
FLCL (step through some of the extreme action scenes frame by frame)

Added... Just was thinking, being a student of animation you might be interested in these, considered some of the height of work created by Japanese animators. Not mainstream, more experimental (think Animatrix) so your entertainment mileage will vary, but some truly mind-blowing animation in here:

Mind Game
Genius Party
Genius Party Beyond
Robot Carnival
Memories
kilaria

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I agree as well that a lot of this has to do with personal opinion as well...

two that I was very impressed with was RahXephon and Revolutionary Girl Utena.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4