• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Fine Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote
zawa: Yes, the platforming isn't perfect, but the game overall is a friggin' master-piece. As for the voice-acting, it's better than I expected, given how tough a sell the concept was for non-Tezuka fan gamers.
Subatomic Brainfreeze

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:29 am Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MmiZ_cUi58
Bebop PS2 came out in Japan and went promptly to the bargain bin. Gameplay footage in the trailer indicates that it was D-grade stuff at best. Bandai's in-house games usually are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVjplYlT9H4
The cutscenes were subbed. Nothing of value was lost here.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:10 am Reply with quote
I can't really say I was all that impressed with Bayonetta, mostly because the game doesn't have a single gameplay mechanic to call its own (heck, even Witch Time is just a time-slowing mechanic we've been doing since DMC1) but also compounded by Kamiya forgetting to streamline the controls, that the action is frenetic to the point of being confusing at times, and Bayonetta herself isn't really all that sexy. In short: Kamiya has not redefined the action genre, he's just gotten cocky and not in the funny Itagaki way.

I actually did my games of the decade, my top being Vagrant Story and my runner up being Chrono Cross. NOTHING set in Ivalice should be done without Matsuno which is why FFXII was the death knell for the series.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:13 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Really, though, why do such a good portion of Final Fantasy fans seem to dislike it [XII] so?

I've been wondering this myself for quite some time. It's not as though the gambit system was required to use, so those sadists who enjoy 12 menu options to cast cure could easily retain the "RPG" feel.

It can't be the story. What FF game doesn't have the "good v. evil" plot?

Here's to hoping XIII at least takes some elements of XII's gambit system. I really loved it and it made me want to go after unique weapons one easily can't get in story mode. Sagittarius Bow... Score! (and it was a bitch to get!)

Speaking of Final Fantasy, I take it no one sent Todd a copy of FF: The Crystal Bearers? Damn it! I'd like to read his opinion on it given it seems to be so mixed by others.

I'm slightly disappointed the character designs took a turn for the worse, but I can get over that if the game play is at least better. Some say yes. Others say no. For $50, that's just too much of a swing to rush out and get it.

But when Nintendo offers Crystal Chronicles for the Wii, I'm there! I miss that game.

I also wish Japan would recognize the fact some of us Wii owners are desperate for decent titles that don't cater to the "we don't game often" crowd. ANYTHING but puzzle games.

Oh, crap. Well, there goes Crystal Bearers, a FF just filled with mini games.
Sad
Anime cry
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:22 am Reply with quote
Hell, some of the finest games came from the advent of 2000, Chrono Cross, Legend of Mana, Threads of Fate (which badly needed an anime of its own), all of which were coincidentally released for Square's Summer of Adventure promotional campaign. I'm afraid to say a lot of what's on the PS2 pales in comparison, though I'm somewhat biased in saying that. Not every PS2 game was a waste, but too many of them tricked people with promises of "groundbreaking new features" when it really offered options not many could care about or were barely noticeable.

I hope to see some promising new RPGs for the new year Very Happy
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:59 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Okay, seriously, as much as I love this column, it's been bugging me that for the last 2 months or more, after the initial blurbs and stuff, once we get to the reviews, this and this is all I see. Am I the only one having this problem? It's not just one browser, and X Button is the only column that does this...

But coding issues aside, great column as usual, and see you in 2010.

I get the same problem but only in IE when I view the site in Firefox it's fine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quote
Personally, I think Bayonetta doesn't deserve to do well purely for the utter contempt being shown to PS3 owners with the awful conversion job Sega were forced to do on it. I'll probably give the 360 version a rental, but showing that sort of contempt for a large portion of your consumers is causing me to have severe reservations about buying the game.

Also, on the subject of FFXII, I've always found anyone who hated that game to be the same kind of people who think FFVII is the best JRPG ever made(Not by a long shot). I personally found it to be the freshest to play FF I've ever played and easily the best title in the series since FFVI. The fact that Square-Enix were dumb enough to listen to a vocal minority about the game seems to be why we're getting a return to the overblown 'cyberpunk' stylings of FFVII/VIII, the painful linearity of FFX and "the usual" combat system from pretty much every other FF with FFXIII(Which, judging from trailers, seems to consist of nothing but whining, crying and shouting from it's characters. Just what I want from a story I'll be sitting through for the better part of 40 hours...).
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:13 am Reply with quote
Letthemeatraep wrote:

Also, on the subject of FFXII, I've always found anyone who hated that game to be the same kind of people who think FFVII is the best JRPG ever made

Woah woah woah there.

My favorite J-RPG's don't even fall under the Final Fantasy category (except for IX), and I didn't like XII.
It's not because "OH BOO IT'S NOT LIKE THE OTHER FINAL FANTASIES WAAAH" or anything, either.
The gameplay was like playing an MMO by yourself, and with it the battles practically played themselves.
I also was not swept away by any of the main characters, aside from Balthier, which was mentioned in the column.
And as pretty looking as it was, the story was a snore.
That happens a lot with political games.

But different strokes for different folks.
RDespair

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:19 am Reply with quote
The problem with FF12 was that it played like a single player MMORPG with all the horribly slow pacing that such a thing entails. Between that and a poorly designed leveling system and a combat system that played itself, the game just wasn't very fun.

And I'm sick and tired of people assuming linearity equals bad. Linearity can lead to many advantages like better gameplay balance, faster pacing, and tighter stories.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This would be strangely funny if Etna weren't a 10,000-year-old demon who looks about ten and thereby sums up everything wrong with modern anime culture.

Yes, because all girls over the age of 18 look like adult women. There is no chance that girls look young and remain small their entire life. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Witness the doom of your industry, anime fans

Successful franchise = Doom ?

If it gets rid of all these anime "fans", who complain about everything, then please give me more Queen's Blade.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:50 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Okay, seriously, as much as I love this column, it's been bugging me that for the last 2 months or more, after the initial blurbs and stuff, once we get to the reviews, this and this is all I see. Am I the only one having this problem? It's not just one browser, and X Button is the only column that does this...

But coding issues aside, great column as usual, and see you in 2010.

i'm seeing the same thing. i peeked at the source code and the problem is that the <tr> and <td> tags are backwards.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
You're certainly not alone in thinking Shadow of the Colossus is the best game of the decade. I was unable to enjoy another game, on any level, for about 4 months after finishing it because nothing else could come close to measuring up.

I had a solution for that when I played Colossus... I bought Ico. Laughing Now I'm just waiting for Last Guardian to release so I can give these guys more money.

teh*darkness wrote:

Oh good, I'm not the only one! I always assumed since nobody ever mentioned it, it was my computer that was the issue. (While I suppose I could use Firefox like brand suggested, I don't really want to swap browers for 1 article... and my brother's got Firefox's settings all done up for him. And I don't like his settings.)
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Todd Ciolek wrote:
Seriously, why are all of you forum kids not quoting every line from this game?

Todd Ciolek wrote:
Worst Anime That I Couldn't Stop Watching: The stupefying train wreck of Code Geass

Way to sound exactly like one of them yourself. Confused
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Subatomic Brainfreeze wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MmiZ_cUi58
Bebop PS2 came out in Japan and went promptly to the bargain bin. Gameplay footage in the trailer indicates that it was D-grade stuff at best. Bandai's in-house games usually are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVjplYlT9H4
The cutscenes were subbed. Nothing of value was lost here.

I love it when someone makes the effort to rescue what little value exists in a crappy licensed game. They actually put a video much like that on one of the recent Futurama movie DVDs for that series' own awful PS2 game.
momamario

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Among fighting series that no one expected to see again, Toshinden rated somewhere down around Bloody Roar and Killer Instinct.

Man, don't even joke about that sort of thing. Rare had better make a new Killer Instinct game SOON.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4