• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Fine Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Wow didn't expect the 'Astro Boy' game on GBA to be brought up again. Didn't hear much on whether it did well. But I guess it's a gem to those that picked it up and had fun playing it. From what I saw from screens it looked really good.

So Maduiera is still around. Didn't know he was involved with this game. But the designs are certainly his. Yeah, whatever happened to 'Battle Chasers'? Cancelled? Never knew that oh well it isn't like the story was going anywhere anyway. I guess there just wasn't enough material out there for him to "steal".

I think 'Bayonetta' will do fine here. DMC fans will enjoy it without a thought. I've seen the import version and I enjoyed it. It's not a game I would play but I had been following the development notes off and on. So I'm pleased that 'Hideki Kamiya' succeeded in what he set out to do. But y'know there are going to be those that are going to buy it because they bought into "the hype" then they'll b*tch and moan about how they were robbed blah, blah, blah. As long as you don't go into it with super high expectations you'll be fine. It's just a game. You'll either love it or you'll hate it. I'm just surprised that the game did well enough in Japan based on their demographics.

I guess with all the 'Code Geass' stuff it's becoming overrated. I liked the first half of the series. Now if it was a train wreck then I couldn't tell. If anyone can produce a medium that doesn't have the chance of becoming overrated or a train wreck then let me know. Laughing
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Ring of Red; a truly awesome game that I still haven't finished since my copy was stolen and it's not all that easy to find around here. Never noticed that suggestion myself, and I though I had a dirty mind. Though I always thought one of the characters on the back looked like a blond John Travolta.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote
so i take it he didn't watch Sengoku Basara?
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... X3

And here I thought I was the only living contradiction when it came to Code Geass... I liked the show less and less with every batch of episodes, yet found myself watching it more and more.

In the end, even though I have all the LE DVDs of the first season....I thought it outright sucked. Anime hyper

How weird is that? Confused
Trunks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
Code Geass a "worst anime"? 8O Yeah, someone should stick to video game reviews.

Plenty of others also think that series is a complete train wreck.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

I guess with all the 'Code Geass' stuff it's becoming overrated. I liked the first half of the series. Now if it was a train wreck then I couldn't tell. If anyone can produce a medium that doesn't have the chance of becoming overrated or a train wreck then let me know. Laughing

Ufotable

Zing. :3
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

I think 'Bayonetta' will do fine here. DMC fans will enjoy it without a thought. I've seen the import version and I enjoyed it. It's not a game I would play but I had been following the development notes off and on. So I'm pleased that 'Hideki Kamiya' succeeded in what he set out to do. But y'know there are going to be those that are going to buy it because they bought into "the hype" then they'll b*tch and moan about how they were robbed blah, blah, blah. As long as you don't go into it with super high expectations you'll be fine. It's just a game. You'll either love it or you'll hate it. I'm just surprised that the game did well enough in Japan based on their demographics.
:

I'm a DMC fan and I didn't think Bayonetta was bad, but unfortunately it has not usurped its predecessor at all. As for hype, blame it on Kamiya shooting off his mouth with claims of "redefining the action genre" which definitely is deserving of EXTREME scrutiny if you say something like that.. Yeah Kamiya, nice, but you're not Miyamoto or Sakaguchi.
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quote
The only reason I don't call Astro Boy: Omega Factor a masterpiece is that Treasure are already masters. Omega Factor was just the latest in a line of great, great work.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote
Trunks wrote:

Plenty of others also think that series is a complete train wreck.

The thing is, the implication that it's the "worst" series or what have you is something else entirely, when it's far from uncommon to see the same people who throw around that term jump to score the series highly while others do the opposite...and yet I don't need to tell you what the overall numbers end up saying, which pretty much subverts the point of this entire back-scratching exercise. Nevermind that I also find the word to be horribly overused, in and of itself, and a potential sign of lacking individuality, though that's admittedly a distinct enough matter.
Araki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:38 am Reply with quote
Couldn't agree anymore, especially on Gungrave and Code Geass.

Gungrave was pretty much the only game->anime that i truly enjoyed to this day.
And i think some people are missing the point of Code Geass mention. It's a terrible anime (especially noticeable if you're an old timer) that barely makes sense and the script is a mess, but even aware of all its issues you just can't stop watching. It's addictive like a drug.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:26 am Reply with quote
Since I'm bored enough...let's try playing a little game then, Araki.

I've been watching anime since the days when Saint Seiya and Captain Tsubasa were the hottest shows around, so does that make me at least a junior "old" timer? I assume it should, by most definitions...and tell you what, both of those series had a similarly addictive quality in spite of the fact that, objectively speaking, they were also full of absurd events and dozens of utterly repetitive episodes where little to no progress was achieved, plus retcons and contradictions were commonplace. If I were enough of a cynic, I'd say either of those would be almost if not equally qualified, particularly considering how much longer they kept me watching, for the title in question. Leaving obvious chronological differences aside, I'd say that sounds fair enough.

But that, of course, also assumes there's nothing good about those shows...which, IMHO, is false in all 3 cases.

It's entirely possible for people to grow addicted to flawed shows without making them the "worst" ever. Code Geass has somewhat different problems, naturally, but just as some people are unable or unwilling to say anything good about the show, others don't really have that problem...and several may even go overboard in the other direction, which leads to a lot of exaggerations and knee-jerk reactions overall. The fact that the show is messy doesn't help either.
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote
I loved Conkers Bad Fur Day!!!! I sat and played through it 4 times before I let a friend borrow it and then sadly never saw it again. I really should pick that game up again.
Dmysta3000

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Hell yeah!!! I cant wait for prinny 2!! Very Happy I'm gonna have to dissagre with you on Code Geass being the "worst anime" it wasn't one of my favorites but i at least thought it was decent.
My worst anime of the decade?: K-On, all the freaking way Twisted Evil
Dmysta3000

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

Couldn't have said it any better myself Laughing
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:15 am Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:
Quote:
Best Game-Based Anime: Gungrave, I guess.

Even though they have completely differnet plot elements and stuff, right? Does this response factor in Gungrave: Overdose?

For me, this would probably be the Disgaea anime, or maybe the Tales of The Abyss. Both were pretty good.

Seconding Tales of the Abyss. Don't think I've ever seen that accurate a game-to-anime adaptation, and I've yet to really meet a fan who wasn't at least mostly pleased with the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4