• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Holiday Special Part II

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Interesting stuff, I understand the confusion with Gurren Lagann, because the DVDs aren't labeled very well so people can tell they're sub only or hybrid.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
rainbowcourage wrote:

On the other hand, Slumdog Millionaire fully deserved that win. I was very happy. It played like a modern very dark fairytale and was gorgeous in just about every aspect of production, from the cinematography and art direction (love the scene where he's filling the tub with money) to that lovely, lovely soundtrack.

Yeah, I loved it too, but I don't know that it should have won Best Picture...hm. It's kind of a tough call. I mean Slumdog Millionaire was one of the movies that reminded me why I love film. The production aspects were striking, you're right, the editing was brilliant and while the story was very basic, I thought the writing was pretty good, too. It felt like a very "complete" movie, I felt very full walking out of the theater. Still, when I think "Best Picture," I think a movie that does all that and changes the dynamic if possible. A movie that does all that and then grabs people and shakes them. The Wrestler was a better choice by that logic, so I can see where the guys are coming from, which also explains their head-scratching over Chicago's win, because it's much the same kind of picture as Slumdog. But I wasn't crushed or anything, because I did like Slumdog. Eh. I know it only won all those awards because the agenda for the year was multiculturalism. Sometimes there are just trends to address for the hoity-toits on those committees. Rolling Eyes

You know, I think this is just the disparity between film critics and film buffs (well, I'm not a buff in this case, much more a fan who maybe thinks she has okay taste in movies). I probably don't appreciate the finer points of the medium, so I do get sick of some of the "dark heavy-hitter" stuff winning Oscars (example: in '06, well, I liked The Departed but I was pulling for one of the best black comedies of the decade Little Miss Sunshine. But who am I kidding? Since when do they award comedies Best Picture?). And sometimes, the hardest thing to do well is to tell a straight story in an imaginative way, and for me the movies that do that, and do it beautifully, are often my favorites (not that I don't love intersecting or complicated plot lines ala Pan's Labyrinth or Donnie Darko...gah, I don't know).
I mean, take a look at Shakespeare in Love. There's nothing really new about that movie, but it's such a compelling story and so freaking well put together that it won Best Picture and it's also awesome.
So I guess there's the difference. Critics want something that will revolutionize the medium of film at least a little bit because they view it as art; as a casual fan I kind of just want a good story to win because while film is art to me, it is first and foremost entertainment (although I think with our economic times this viewpoint will become more prevalent; we can already see it in candidates for the Oscars this year). As a writer the written word is completely different; I'm a total literary snob because it's art, not entertainment. Readers generally care about entertainment, hence Twilight's popularity.

In the case of Slumdog, I think part of it was just the journey of the film. It went from straight-to-DVD release to limited theater release to playing in theaters all over the country. That's a huge underdog success story Smile

JesuOtaku wrote:

...Gurren Lagann and Haruhi are the same kind of series, hate to break it to ya. Okay, Gurren Lagann has some success with digging into drama and Haruhi doesn't really, but even then, only some. The drama's pretty sophomoric. But both of these series are slightly self-aware celebrations of their genres instead of being satirical subversions of the genre. For Gurren Lagann it's mecha and shonen. ("BURST THROUGH TO THE HEAVENS WITH YOUR DRILL!" indeed...) For Haruhi Suzumiya, it's the fandom itself, specifically the Japanese fandom. Haruhi is every otaku's dream. Haruhi creates the world and the friends I think every stereotypical otaku would, and even if you don't fit that, you can certainly recognize it as you watch. Doesn't make it a satire, but it's just a little self-aware, as is Gurren Lagann in all its bombastic explosiveness and shoutouts to other Gainax legends. They're both ribbing their genres a little bit but mostly celebrating them very loudly.

All of this is true, but for me Gurren Lagann was more successful because it worked on two levels. While it did celebrate the genre there was a legitimate story there, a pretty well-done story and a followable plot and serious character development, etc. Haruhi had almost no character development, at least on-screen. And that made it boring for those of us who didn't really enjoy the celebration Laughing
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High a celebration of shoujo?

It mocks shoujo fans! It mocks the gay guys who litter shoujo series! It mocks the pretty boys with no depth that is common in shoujo.

Sure Ouran High has a gay side character like Card Captor Sakura and a ton of other shoujos, his also a middle age crossdresser.

The lesbian is a lunatic whose an over the top feminist who seems to be less about women's rights, and more about hating guys.

The roles that the Ouran members act as are actual cliches in the shoujo genre. The key word is "act" as, the Hatachin brothers are not gay, nor is Tamaki a handsome letch who just hits on people.

That's the difference between Ouran and Haruhi, Ouran knows the cliches and theirfore avoids them while Haruhi knows the cliches and does it anyway. It celebrates but it celebrates crap.

Ouran High School is an attack on the cliches and the complete lack of depth that prevents a ton of shoujos from having the cross over appeal of Shonen series. I can safely say that their are few shoujo series I like (Basara, Magical Knights of Rayearthe) and Ouran High School Host Club is the third.

As already mentioned, Gurren Lagann isn't just a celebration of Super Robots, it's a reconstruction that has shows Super Robots can be just as artistic as Real Robots like Gundam.

While a moe show has shown me that it can just be as artistic as regular series, and that moe can be redeemed, that moe show is Negima not Haruhi.
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Good show again, and at least this time I was around for those last three years.

Oscars 2005? Crash... meh. Gay Cowboys... meh. Not a shining example of Ang Lee's capabilities (a la Sense & Sensibility or Ice Storm), but some good acting. Crash winning was the aged John Wayne fans sticking it to the New Yorkers. Junebug and Transamerica were both better movies, but that just says a lot about the year's pickings. And yeah, Scorcese got his lifetime achievement award early for The Departed, but mostly the Academy was completely in shame by then, just like finally giving Al Pacino an Oscar for that stinker... whatever it was. Totally agree for nearly anything from the Coen Brothers, and at least half of Tarantino's stuff (Pulp Fiction so should have won best picture). I focus on the Independent Spirit Awards anyway, because those are the movies I know I'll be interested in seeing, and the broadcast is far more entertaining. YEAH, rainbowcourage, hurray for Little Miss Sunshine Smile.

Anyway... anime forum.

This was interesting because I came to anime in mid-2007 and had no idea the industry was cratering. I did happen across Justin's Open Letter, and agreed completely based on my business background. That's life, you make your own bed. Now in hindsight, I'm not sure there was a way out for any of them besides Funi because of the bubble and the licensing cost insanity.

What I did notice was people remarking about the cost of anime in previous years. It wasn't cheap in 2007, really, but the prices had already come down when I started. I was buying like crazy. Especially when Geneon pulled out, which I didn't even hear about until a month later. Got a list of all their releases and started buying up everything. Wasn't til later that I discovered the Bargain Bin... should have waited on some of those. But I'm not complaining about my nice full-size boxes and extras. I'm still not sure the thinpak, stripped-of-all-extras model is the way to save the DVD industry, but Funi is doing okay with it so far. I suspect more reasonable licensing fees have the most to do with stopping the bleeding of the coma patient.

Thanks, Justin, for talking about Funi's lousy encoding. I get so pissed when I put one of their older DVDs into my PS3 and watch ants crawling up and down the stairs all over my 1080p screen. I almost always go back and watch the fansubs.

Gurren Lagann packaging... what a mess. It took me a long time pouring over Amazon and various sites, piecing together the puzzle, to be absolutely sure what version I was getting.

I really enjoyed GL, and Haruhi, which I only saw on DVD after a lot of other shows. GL was very campy to me, but still a well-told little epic--defined as "saving the universe" level. It did feel like a celebration, like a show that the creators had great fun making and that shown through to the audience. Haruhi didn't come across as satirical, which I associate with social and political commentary. Like JO said, just self-referential, and in broadcast order the structure adds a lot to the quirkiness, and the story is entertaining and unique to me. Kyon's narration added a lot to it.

But I truly haven't seen much new ground-breaking anime since I became a fan (Shaft stuff, somewhat). Some good high-profile shows (Death Note, Claymore, Code Geass), but very little that approaches the Geneon releases of yesteryear. And oh, BTW, one of which is NOT Planetes, which single-handedly cured me of my completionist obsession. The lack of success of that show is not mysterious in the least, because it went downhill after the mid-point and the last part was a mess and just sucked.

I do find my interest waning. Maybe it's burn-out, but not many shows move me these days like the older ones still do.

Last edited by pparker on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
[Yuki isn't a parody of characters who ripoff Rei Ayanami, she's just a ripoff of Rei Ayanami. Mikuru isn't a parody of characters whose main purpose is fanservice, she's just a character whose main purpose is fanservice, Haruhi isn't a parody of tsundere, she's just an obnoxious not-so-nice-person whose antics I am supposed to find funny like Peter Griffin, and Homer Simpson.

Charred Knight missing the point? I'm shocked!

They're parodies of those types of characters because we're constantly led by Kyon's narration to the conclusion that they're off-putting characteristics for people to actually have. Aside from Mikuru, but that's because Kyon is a red blooded high school boy. But Mikuru sheds a spotlight on the "moeblob" characters and how utterly useless they are (which, as it's been mused, may be Mikuru's cover). And if you really think Yuki is anything like Rei Ayanami, I don't think you were paying attention to either this show or Evangelion.

We're supposed to delight at Haruhi's charming sociopathy because it's so over the top and in sharp contrast with ordinary people. The viewer still feels annoyed at her selfishness, but feel guilty pleasure at what she can get away with.

Quote:
Gurren Lagann did that, the characters felt like characters, you can see everyone's point of view, even though their where a ton of factions over a period of only 26 episodes. They didn't force people into leadership roles, Simon isn't the type of person who could run a city, and so we see that in the series.

Haruhi didn't have any of that, all it had was a bunch of tired cliches, and a bunch of characters with no character development in 26 episodes.

Are you kidding me? Gurren Lagann is little more but a loud, over-the-top celebration of the super robot genre. It's a visual experience. It's funny you should mention Giant Robo, because it did a lot of what Gurren Lagann set out to do, but better.

Haruhi is a clever take on the school ensemble story whose own story is still ongoing.

Now, you're right, it's not in the same league as Giant Robo. I would never say that. But it's still enjoyable. It's "clever" instead of "intelligent". It's "fun" instead of "gripping". It's nevertheless a good time. Just like Gurren Lagann.

Last edited by penguintruth on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:50 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
And sometimes, the hardest thing to do well is to tell a straight story in an imaginative way, and for me the movies that do that, and do it beautifully, are often my favorites (not that I don't love intersecting or complicated plot lines ala Pan's Labyrinth or Donnie Darko...gah, I don't know).
I mean, take a look at Shakespeare in Love. There's nothing really new about that movie, but it's such a compelling story and so freaking well put together that it won Best Picture and it's also awesome.
So I guess there's the difference. Critics want something that will revolutionize the medium of film at least a little bit because they view it as art; as a casual fan I kind of just want a good story to win because while film is art to me, it is first and foremost entertainment.

That's a very astute observation, yeah. Weirdly enough, I enjoy movies pretty much the same way. If a good story can be told well, it usually ends up being a favorite of mine. The more critically "outstanding" films I enjoy, but probably won't revisit. I won't watch The Wrestler again, but I will watch Slumdog again. I'll watch Chicago many times, which makes me think...well, I'll get to that later. I was going to cite a movie example, but the first thing that popped into my head was an anime: Vision of Escaflowne. There's a little bit of a metafictional twist to it, but for the most part it does nothing but tell a classic story and tell it very well. (Screw that movie, though.) ...Okay, Hollywood example too: The Prestige. Lurve that one, but all it does is tell its very classic sort of tale masterfully, and that's all it needed to do. To a lesser extent, Gran Turino, but it was a weeee bit much sometimes. Doesn't mean I'd nominate any of those for an Oscar or some...nonexistent anime equivalent of that.

I enjoy movies on a personal level like a buff and I'll sigh all the way through something like Shakespeare in Love or another recent pleasant surprise: Last Chance Harvey. But I aim my critical faculties at "Oscar-worthy" movies, who I think should fill that criteria I mentioned earlier...I actually don't think very highly of the Oscars...at all. Seriously, poo on them, but I know what I want them to recognize. The "different" films that fall somewhere between comfort and angry pretention and end up being "shakers." I don't want the good stories well told to get glammed with attention necessarily because if the Oscars are indicative of what America is glorifying in its industry, I'd rather see that brought to the forefront. Movies that make a statement well should probably win, and depending on what the statement is, it reflects something about the tide of culture. So yeah. I separate the Oscars from what I think are actually good movies. There are lots of good movies, so Oscar winners should be "good movies plus: an impact."

I guess for Slumdog that would be its own success story more than the film as a standalone. Very Happy

I also think comedies should be able to get the full four stars from critics sometimes. Comedies aren't respected enough critically whereas it seems someone can write something horribly dingy and subversive like V for Vendetta and everyone just bows down without thinking about if it's actually a good movie. (Answer: HA HA...euh.)

pparker wrote:
Not a shining example of Ang Lee's capabilities...

Ooh! Like "Hulk?" Wink Okay, that was mean, but yeah. Not an Ang Lee fan. I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain so I can't comment on it but what I heard from people was that the fact there was a fully explored gay romance was more the subject of all the hoop-and-holler than the quality of the film itself as a good drama...sounds like Oscar food to me~! No, seriously, though, I should see it at some point...but I don't like Ang Lee. At all.

@CharredKnight: A mockery? If it were a mockery we would hate those characters and their narcissism, not adore it. Also, what is the moral of Host Club? Do you remember? It's "loosen up and viva la vida." Haruhi learns more from the Host Club than they learn from her, although there's a lot of give-and-take. It is absolutely in love with its shojo roots and does not mock them except with great affection. ...After thinking about it, actually, the thin line it walks between celebration and parody is so well-done, I guess I'll put it on record that I DO think it's better than Haruhi and Gurren Lagann, which...*toss up in brain* are about equal in my eyes but if I had to give a bare nod, I'd say Gurren Lagann is better because, as rainbowcourage pointed out, it does have a solid story, simple though it may be. And it didn't completely embarrass itself with a ghastly second season...just a...recap movie instead. Anime dazed

Last edited by JacobC on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:

On the other hand, Slumdog Millionaire fully deserved that win. I was very happy. It played like a modern very dark fairytale and was gorgeous in just about every aspect of production, from the cinematography and art direction (love the scene where he's filling the tub with money) to that lovely, lovely soundtrack.

Good god, Disney's City of God was overrated. Production values only go so far, which is why I'm dreading Oscar season this year when it comes to Avatar. Any good media, regardless of whether its visual, textual, or audible, needs a story and characters, and if those are weak, then you have a weak movie regardless of how beautiful it looks... unless it's one of those freeform projects to which rules can be bent, but that was clearly not the case with Slumdog.

I rooted for Milk that year. Much stronger film. The Wrestler getting shafted hurt me as well. Aronofsky never gets recognized by the Academy.
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Not an Ang Lee fan. ...but I don't like Ang Lee. At all.

Wow, you don't like Ang Lee. Twice Wink. I thought Ice Storm was brilliant for the spot-on ennui and emotions. But that was nothing compared to... yes, I'll say it... the best adaptation of all time in my book: Sense & Sensibility. For once, I felt virtually the same from the movie as the book, and can't honestly pick which one I like better (in fairness, the book had some weaknesses, but you get the benefit of editing when you only have 90 minutes of film). Of course, you couldn't get a better cast, either, for adapting that book.

As to the GL/Haruhi debate, I truly do not get the anger at either of those shows. They are both very entertaining. Probably they can be picked apart critically, but they would end up in the top ten of recent years in any case, and that leaves about 300 other series that wouldn't. The intentions of both are obvious on the screen, and they did what they set out to do quite admirably. And yep, put Ouran in that top ten as well, and damn the critics Wink.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Charred Knight missing the point? I'm shocked!

They're parodies of those types of characters because we're constantly led by Kyon's narration to the conclusion that they're off-putting characteristics for people to actually have. Aside from Mikuru, but that's because Kyon is a red blooded high school boy. But Mikuru sheds a spotlight on the "moeblob" characters and how utterly useless they are (which, as it's been mused, may be Mikuru's cover). And if you really think Yuki is anything like Rei Ayanami, I don't think you were paying attention to either this show or Evangelion.

We're supposed to delight at Haruhi's charming sociopathy because it's so over the top and in sharp contrast with ordinary people. The viewer still feels annoyed at her selfishness, but feel guilty pleasure at what she can get away with.

To paraphrase Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation anyone who makes crap on purpose has his head stuffed so far upside his ass it's not even funny. It doesn't matter whether the crap was on purpose or not it's still crap.

Mikuru is still an annoying moron whose sole purpose is that she has large breast, and Haruhi is still obnoxious. Without character development their is nothing that can change that.

JesuOtaku wrote:

@CharredKnight: A mockery? If it were a mockery we would hate those characters and their narcissism, not adore it. Also, what is the moral of Host Club? Do you remember? It's "loosen up and viva la vida." Haruhi learns more from the Host Club than they learn from her, although there's a lot of give-and-take. It is absolutely in love with its shojo roots and does not mock them except with great affection. ...After thinking about it, actually, the thin line it walks between celebration and parody is so well-done, I guess I'll put it on record that I DO think it's better than Haruhi and Gurren Lagann, which...*toss up in brain* are about equal in my eyes but if I had to give a bare nod, I'd say Gurren Lagann is better because, as rainbowcourage pointed out, it does have a solid story, simple though it may be. And it didn't completely embarrass itself with a ghastly second season...just a...recap movie instead. Anime dazed

Ouran is certainly not telling you to act like a frivilous school girl, it's just telling you to lighten up and enjoy life. Considering Japan's problem with suicide, I think this is a pretty good thing to talk about. Also while the host club can be selfish they are also usually pretty nice people who will always looking to help strangers.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:31 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Good show again, and at least this time I was around for those last three years.

Totally agree for nearly anything from the Coen Brothers, and at least half of Tarantino's stuff (Pulp Fiction so should have won best picture). I focus on the Independent Spirit Awards anyway, because those are the movies I know I'll be interested in seeing, and the broadcast is far more entertaining. YEAH, rainbowcourage, hurray for Little Miss Sunshine Smile.

In terms of comedies, at least Juno didn't get shortchanged in '08. If it hadn't won Best Screenplay for the dialogue alone I probably would have blown a gasket. I really did not like Pulp Fiction. I mean, I admire that it dealt with the dregs of society in such a frank way, but other than that it dragged and it was awkward and gross. But I am not turned off Tarantino, I will be checking out his other films with an open mind.

pparker wrote:

And oh, BTW, one of which is NOT Planetes, which single-handedly cured me of my completionist obsession. The lack of success of that show is not mysterious in the least, because it went downhill after the mid-point and the last part was a mess and just sucked.

Oh dear. I guess to each his own. I adore this show, it's one of my all-time favorites. Maybe Hachi's self-exploration gets a bit too angsty towards the end, but other than that I think it has one of the best and most satisfactory endings out there...oh well.

JesuOtaku wrote:

I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain so I can't comment on it but what I heard from people was that the fact there was a fully explored gay romance was more the subject of all the hoop-and-holler than the quality of the film itself as a good drama...sounds like Oscar food to me~! No, seriously, though, I should see it at some point...but I don't like Ang Lee. At all.

I remember when I first read about him he said he knew nothing about gay cowboys, and I was like "um...so he did a blockbuster action flick, a samurai movie, and now this."

But I think it's a really good movie. I haven't seen any of his other stuff, but the movie does a really good job of not sensationalizing the gayness and simply telling a really good romance set against a backdrop where that kind of romance is forbidden...it's a typical star-crossed lovers type deal. Done very tastefully. You should probably see it.

Splitter wrote:

Good god, Disney's City of God was overrated. Production values only go so far, which is why I'm dreading Oscar season this year when it comes to Avatar. Any good media, regardless of whether its visual, textual, or audible, needs a story and characters, and if those are weak, then you have a weak movie regardless of how beautiful it looks... unless it's one of those freeform projects to which rules can be bent, but that was clearly not the case with Slumdog.

I rooted for Milk that year. Much stronger film. The Wrestler getting shafted hurt me as well. Aronofsky never gets recognized by the Academy.

Maybe you think I glossed over the story, but I happen to think Slumdog has a solid story and writing. I am in no way saying that the visuals and direction propped the story up, simple as a young man’s odyssey might be. I greatly enjoyed the coming-of-age story of a boy struggling against poverty, religious conflict, and class restrictions. I loved the divergence of three childhood friends and how each, coming from the same beginnings, found different ways in the world—Salim chooses a life of crime, Latika lives a forced underground existence dependent on her beauty, and Jamal maintains an honest life, choosing a meager living over Salim’s easy cash flow. It’s about honesty, love, and integrity triumphing in the most abysmal of situations. I love those stories. Just as much, though, the culture is at the core of the film and without the production values the spice of India really wouldn't have translated.
Milk is a great movie and especially powerful in a historical context, and I’m glad it was made. Maybe that makes it more Oscar-worthy, but on a personal level I enjoyed Slumdog’s fantastical side and coming-of-age/love story much more than the hardboiled albeit idealistic story of political and social success and tragedy.
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

After hearing these specials I'm kind of glad I only recently got into anime because I didn't have to live through all that crap. Also the fact that I don't have to pay $80 for a box set and can get singles for dirt cheap makes me pretty happy as well. Hell, I can get entire shows for dirt cheap now that Funimation does two half sets and then the eventual complete (half sets drop big time when completes come out). I do, however, dislike the fact that almost every Geneon show that's pretty good is insanely expensive.

Personally I preferred being a fan more during the boom times. Yes, things were much more expensive, but the quality of releases from packaging to dubs (dub quality, variety of different studios doing dubs, more production money to pay writers, adapters, VAs and less time constraints to be in a rush to put a product out). Companies took more chances with what they licensed and how much they spent. Excellent titles like Princess Tutu or Kino's Journey probably would never see the light of day in this kind of market (certainly not dubbed), and that's a great shame.

Folks wanted cheaper and cheaper over the years... now they're getting it, but are learning everything comes at a price, as evidenced with all the people complaining on every news story. Can't have the cake, and eat it too - for cheap. Wink
Prede

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

After hearing these specials I'm kind of glad I only recently got into anime because I didn't have to live through all that crap. Also the fact that I don't have to pay $80 for a box set and can get singles for dirt cheap makes me pretty happy as well. Hell, I can get entire shows for dirt cheap now that Funimation does two half sets and then the eventual complete (half sets drop big time when completes come out). I do, however, dislike the fact that almost every Geneon show that's pretty good is insanely expensive.

80 bucks? Try 200 dollars! LoL. The prices were kinda nuts. And I'm finding that there's still a lot of Geneon titles hanging around, at least the ones I want. And it beats paying their insane asylum prices for them. Geneon really was the worst in regards to prices . Now that Geneon is gone I'm actually buying from them. I rarely bough anything from them when they were actually still in business. That partly has to do with the fact that I rarely new about a lot of their titles (the ones I really would want that is), and also that they were way to expensive for my blood. Sure I bought a bunch of things from them over the years, but not even close to the amount I did for the other companies.

Anyway even if the stuff cost more, and I always complained I think I have to agree with Dragoon (SXAniMedia) though. Things were better back then. I really miss the boom days. It was a less pessimistic atmosphere, and there was so much stuff coming out, lots of great niche titles, and everything was a little happier. I too enjoyed the fact that the companies were willing to risk licensing and dubbing the more niche stuff.

And yes I wanted anime cheaper Wink, but not so cheap that they have to cut away the dub, half-way decent packageing, and all the goodies. I don't want to pay 200 bucks for a 24 episodes. But I also don't want to pay $20 and get everything crappy either. Can't there be a happy medium?
Cait

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I remember being sort of disinterested watching Ice Storm. l liked Brokeback Mountain, but I had two problems with the film. First, there wasn't well enough developed tension leading up to the characters' consummation to make it believable outside of the "premise" of the story. If you didn't know what the movie was about and just happened to tune into it from the beginning, it might've been difficult to accept that turn of events. It's not well established until a few minutes before it actually happens. The second issue I had with the film was that it dragged too much in the middle. I think it could have done much better if about 30-45 minutes of the middle had been cut out. It was too long and too slow in places.
Badkarma 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote
GREAT SHOW!! While I identified more with Pt.1 than 2 still I enjoyed this romp down memory lane. The downward spiral of the anime industry should be required study in business school! And while I did lose interest in anime from '06 till just recently,I still kept the faith but the only shows I saw was Code Geass and Gurren Lagaan. Instead I fell back on some old favs like FLCL, The Big O and Tank Police. I do find it funny to hear that some of the English V.O. actors are now complaining that all new anime is non-union(the ones in CA.that is)and that fansubs/dubs are verboten! I can honestly say I've never purchased one of those BUT I can understand why others did. And I will NOT play the 'Blame Game'! Too many factors at work here.
As to the most obnoxious pain in the keister female character in ANIME; That honor goes to Kallen Stadtfeld!! Truley by the end of R2 I was seriously wishing that even one of the other black knights would put a bullet in her brain to put her out of her own misery and stop the relentless whining and false bravado!!
Justin,Zac,&Mr.McDonald have a Happy New Year and if I could I'd buy you all a drink on me. Too the rest of my fellow ANIME fans out there Happy New Year and best wishes for a prosperous and better 2010.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:29 am Reply with quote
I haven't been commenting on the last few episodes (though they're still fun & totally worth my time as always, just nothing upon which I felt like commenting), I just want to join the throng and say that these podcasts really could be longer if you feel the material is worthy. Hearing intelligent folks (imo) discuss pop culture is something of which I've yet to tire so keep it coming, seriously. I mean, this was the first podcast to which I ever listened and through you I discovered some other favorite podcasts (AWO, Greatest Movie Ever and Fast Karate for the Gentleman, specifically). If I can effortlessly listen to 1-1/2 hours of AWO I surely can listen to y'all rant for 1+ hours-- So go for it, please!

(P.S. And yes, I'd love to hear you two discussing movies even when it has nothing to do with anime.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4