• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! 2010 SUPER EDITION

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dizzon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:30 am Reply with quote
Dante80 wrote:
Quote:
I wonder why the "sub-only people" don't realize that "existence of a dub" does NOT equate to "I am forced to watch this dub."

They are not forced to watch it, they are forced to pay for it. And wait more for their favorite shows to get released because of it.

Well, they could just import the very affordable R2 if they don't want to wait or pay for a dub they don't want. I mean really, nobody should be forced to wait and pay these unreasonable R1 prices. Laughing
Dante80

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:12 am Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
Dante80 wrote:
Quote:
I wonder why the "sub-only people" don't realize that "existence of a dub" does NOT equate to "I am forced to watch this dub."

They are not forced to watch it, they are forced to pay for it. And wait more for their favorite shows to get released because of it.

Well, they could just import the very affordable R2 if they don't want to wait or pay for a dub they don't want. I mean really, nobody should be forced to wait and pay these unreasonable R1 prices. Laughing

And many would, if the R2s had subs there...but this is irrelevant. Dubbing is essential for the marketability of most shows exported, but for people that don't use them, its just a waste of DVD space, money and time. They are not forced to watch the dub, they are forced to pay for sth they have no use for.
maaya

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:21 am Reply with quote
Dante80 wrote:
And many would, if the R2s had subs there...

You mean, maybe a few extreme otaku fanboys with a lot of money would import their favorite shows, but not "many" are willing to pay those DVD prices even if they had subs.

Quote:
They are not forced to watch the dub, they are forced to pay for sth they have no use for.

I don't think so. DVDs including a dub aren't much more expensive than sub-only from what I've seen.
dizzon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:48 am Reply with quote
Dante80 wrote:
dizzon wrote:
Dante80 wrote:
Quote:

And many would, if the R2s had subs there...but this is irrelevant. Dubbing is essential for the marketability of most shows exported, but for people that don't use them, its just a waste of DVD space, money and time. They are not forced to watch the dub, they are forced to pay for sth they have no use for.

R2s are actually much more expensive, I was being sarcastic, so to say anyone would buy them if they had subs in order to save money wouldn't make any sense. Not saying that's what you were implying, just pointing that out.

This is the cheapest it has ever been to buy anime, you can get half-season, full-season and complete collections in R1 for less than $50 US dollars, even the price of blu-rays have dropped, I'm amazed some companies are even able to stay in business and you are going to complain about spending a little bit extra because a dub was added in an attempt to appeal to as many people as possible? That sounds a bit selfish, and I'm a tad unsympathetic.
Elwood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:13 am Reply with quote
[quote="dizzon"]
Dante80 wrote:
Quote:

I don't understand why people still complain about prices and waiting... Most companies release 13 episodes for 30-50 dollars. They also tend to come out monthly or bimonthly for shorter series. A few years ago DVDs were 30 dollars for 4 episodes. And before that they were that for two dub only episodes on VHS.

Most companies aren't even releasing dubs anymore but the DVDs are around the same price as the dual-audio. For example, Clannad volume 1 is about 33 dollars on Amazon, well so is One Piece season 2 fifth voyage. Both have 13 episodes on them. You don't pay for dubs anymore, you pay for license fee.

We have it great here right now and no one is taking advantage of it. In Japan R2 DVDs are usually 50-100 dollars for two-three episodes. Not to mention that over half the shows we get now on DVD we'd never have gotten in the late 80s-early 90s and if we did they would have been butchered to appeal to children AND would have used voice actors just pulled of the street. Now we get 100% uncut DVDs with dubs that are usually well produced... I don't understand what more anyone could want. We're getting good dubs, cheap DVDs, and quick releases.[/url]
Dante80

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:35 am Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
R2s are actually much more expensive, I was being sarcastic, so to say anyone would buy them if they had subs in order to save money wouldn't make any sense. Not saying that's what you were implying, just pointing that out.

This is the cheapest it has ever been to buy anime, you can get half-season, full-season and complete collections in R1 for less than $50 US dollars, even the price of blu-rays have dropped, I'm amazed some companies are even able to stay in business and you are going to complain about spending a little bit extra because a dub was added in an attempt to appeal to as many people as possible? That sounds a bit selfish, and I'm a tad unsympathetic.

dizzon I got your point, I regularly import both R1 and R2j DVDs and know the prices...I also know the differences in the industry... Cool

What I'm saying Elwood is that people always complain. Some complain about perceived or true quality issues, others about availability, some about localization issues, many about prices, others about extras or packaging, etc etc.

Many sub-only purists complain about availability issues due to the time needed for the licensing company to bring the product to the market. Others complain about degradation of video/sound quality due to heavy episode counts and double sound streams. Some even point that anime would be available both faster and cheaper if there was no need for a dub (which is true).

But there is a need. Especially in the R1 market. So its a red herring really...I just corrected Zalis' argument about what sub-only customers think...^^
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:26 am Reply with quote
giascle wrote:
I didn't get it until someone spelled it out for me, but then it made a LOT more sense. I never liked FLCL, but now if I watch it again I might appreciate it more. The message seems to be spoiler[grow up, but don't grow up too fast.]

The only meaningful thing I got out of FLCL is the manga based upon the anime sort of explains the whole fool hero thing Japan seems so fond of. I believe it's in the 2nd volume (might be the first) where the old man describes the boy as a pure fool & that there is nothing so pure & wonderful as a fool or something like that (been yrs since I made it thru the TP translation)

Quote:
If you did not like the Excel saga anime it will be impossible to like the manga. The manga is unfunny and lacks a lot of the comedic timing that the anime had.

Excel is lots of fun & the manga actually manages more of a plot (such as the reason Hyatt keeps dying. And allowing the doctor cousin who hated Iwata to diagnose him with terminal cancer so Kabapu authorized Iwata being turned into a cyborg-braincase only which allowed a brief stint inside Ropponmatsu much to Shioji's dismay.
The humor is subtle as well as broad depending on the joke, but I have yet to hit a volume that didn't make me laugh out loud at least once & we're up to Volume 20.

Quote:
I found Excel Saga really, really grating and only very occasionally funny. How's the manga? Sufficiently different to be worth trying or just more of the same?

If you like stuff like Zetsubo-sensei then you'll probably enjoy Excel. Don't forget the anime was made omitting humor deemed too extreme for tv. It's as though the director was a bit more Dr.Slump/Bobobo-style crazy vs fully in tune with Koshi Rikudo's humor.

We have an Across operative who never appeared in the anime, Excel was replaced by a robot in Across & has been living with Shioji's family, Shioji's mom is a work in herself, Watanabe married Hyatt until Il Palazzo showed up to reclaim her, Kabapu is insane (ok, obsessed with defeating Il Palazzo). A recent installment saw the smaller Roppanmatsu infected with dating-sim programming which didn't mix well with a weapon of her destructive abilities. Not that Iwata didn't prove any less destructive inside of Ropponmatsu

HellKorn wrote:
FLCL isn't satire? Of mecha? Of harem? Of the old stand-by of an alien/mystical female that drops right into the life of the bored main male character? Not a send-up of any of those?

I don't consider robots popping out of a kid's head to be satire. Same goes for the building shapped like an iron, is it? It feels more surreal.
HellKorn wrote:
I'd also argue that FLCL is absurd, not surreal. It's layered -- rewarding re-watches with subtext beyond its surprisingly unique message, as well as nuances of characters -- but not complex, nor uses atmospheric disorientation. It shows a lot of the idiosyncrisies of anime for what they are, so the series can be a disorienting experience when there's no real conceit of a seriousness or vital plot (do plots in anime even really make sense or matter most of the time?).

I'll give you absurd since I certainly have no idea where surreal ends & absurd begins. I'm not even going to touch Dada.

HellKorn wrote:
[Excel Saga saga isn't like that; it's a purely episodic parody that's emblematic of loud, Japanese comedy. They're both comedies, sure, but their goals and aesthetic are very far apart -- it's like comparing Dr. Strangelove to Buster Keaton's films (and I love both).

I love the Marx Brothers
I'll assume you haven't read the manga so you have no idea what's Rikudo & what's Watanabe
For my money anime original titles lack the depth of a title based on a manga where the author has bothered to work out pasts for the characters. They often feel more by committee--roundtable vote vs a clear single vision. Others enjoy titles like that & that's fine. I just find the plot feels diluted-settled on.
The manga has been running since 1997 with the anime being made in 1999 so the anime was very early on in the manga's life not unlike Berserk, Bastard, or any number of other manga to anime titles

However-for that Avatar argument-according to Wiki-
Quote:
The directors of Avatar: The Last Airbender, an American animated television series, claim inspiration from FLCL.[17] Avatar director Giancarlo Volpe says the staff "were all ordered to buy FLCL and watch every single episode of it."
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Dante80 wrote:
Quote:

Oh, really? Then why are some of Section 23's sub-only sets 40 dollars for one season?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:04 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Dante80 wrote:
Quote:

Oh, really? Then why are some of Section 23's sub-only sets 40 dollars for one season?

Cheaper than some of FUNi's prices.
Dante80

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Because one (or more) of the following may be happening:

Arrow They have higher profit margins per unit.
Arrow Since a second sound stream is almost obligatory for the marketability of a show in the R1 market, they have to jack up the price to compensate for lost sales.
Arrow Their licensing deal was expensive.

Remember, dubbing a show both takes time and adds to the cost of the final product (thats a no-brainer, really). Companies have to do it though, for localization purposes, and for adding value to their product. The majority of consumers in R1land believe (rightfully so) that if they are going to pay for physical media, they should get a decent dub in the bundle (especially since they prefer it over the original sound stream).

Sub-only purists just don't care about the dub. They may (or may not) understand why it is imperative for the industry to produce one, but still have no use for it. Wink
giascle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
giascle wrote:
I didn't get it until someone spelled it out for me, but then it made a LOT more sense. I never liked FLCL, but now if I watch it again I might appreciate it more. The message seems to be spoiler[grow up, but don't grow up too fast.]

The only meaningful thing I got out of FLCL is the manga based upon the anime sort of explains the whole fool hero thing Japan seems so fond of. I believe it's in the 2nd volume (might be the first) where the old man describes the boy as a pure fool & that there is nothing so pure & wonderful as a fool or something like that (been yrs since I made it thru the TP translation)

I tried the first volume of the manga and it was nigh incomprehensible. Even the show made more sense. ?_?

Quote:
The directors of Avatar: The Last Airbender, an American animated television series, claim inspiration from FLCL.[17] Avatar director Giancarlo Volpe says the staff "were all ordered to buy FLCL and watch every single episode of it."

I've never understood this; I don't see that large an influence (except maybe Sokka, though his personality comes from the VA). I guess they partly wanted something short to get the staff up-to-speed with modern anime.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Fully fledged "sub vs dub" on sight. I believe the Answerman already answered that matter, so how about a little less repetitive discussion and a little more innovation.

Here you go:

Quote:
1) FANS: PLEASE: stop arguing about the Sub vs. Dub issue - and start understanding that the Dubs are absolutely necessary to see anime spread to the it has in Japan. We have all seen the ridiculous amounts of capital the big studios are willing to invest in live-action adaptations - and the half-witted, half-baked CRAP that ends up coming out as a result. So why aren't they even trying to make halfway decent animated series? Because they don't believe it will make them any money - and that's because every time they do some research on the popularity of adult-targeted animation in the US, the only kind of positive comments that they are seeing on anything currently in production in the US are in the rude adult comedy genre (The Simpsons, South Park, Futurama, Aqua Teen Hunger Force - and the list goes on & on & on). I'm not saying people shouldn't like those series, I'm just saying if that's all their data can define as popular, then that's all they are going to back with their money.

As someone who enjoys his Japanese track, I completely agree with that and I don't mind paying more for my Dubbed discs in case they actually cost more.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
@walw6: However, FUNI has both a dub and a sub. Section 23's releases are purely sub only.

Quote:
Their licensing deal was expensive

I'm aware of this one, but I just don't see there being a huge demand for He is My Master! and Skullman. There's no reason for shows like that to be over 25 dollars or so.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
@walw6: However, FUNI has both a dub and a sub. Section 23's releases are purely sub only.

Quote:
Their licensing deal was expensive

I'm aware of this one, but I just don't see there being a huge demand for He is My Master! and Skullman. There's no reason for shows like that to be over 25 dollars or so.

Does not change the fact that 40 is less than 60, sub, dub, raw, audio-only, visuals only, braille, or otherwise.
Dante80

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Actually, its the opposite. Since niche shows have a smaller target group, you are bound to sell less in volume. You will also find that sales of such products are more an-elastic as far as price is concerned (due to the smaller customer base), so reducing the price further will not net you the expected (by more mainstream shows) rise of units sold.

Having said that, I also don't think that the price for the show you used as an example is steep.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8