• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
So-Ra-No-Wo-To (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
So-Ra-No-Wo-To (TV)(I would translate it as "Sounds of the Sky (Sora No Oto)") came out just recently so I figured its about time to start very first thread about Winter Season anime TV series.

First things first - whether it's to someone's disappointment or joy: Sora no Oto is not a moeblob, at least not yet. Characters aren't happy/carefree enough, like too strict/mature with some problems Rio(Mio?) for example. Now that I think of it - just how many moeblobs are there? Like... two, both by KyoAni. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of anime series that have moe themes and characters but only few of them use moe as main purpose for existing(story and everything else is always on second priority list).

Character design is inspired by K-ON! at least and bluntly copied at worse. That really isn't a bad thing as I do like the said style. Now, had I not seen K-ON! I would have really hard time distinguishing between two series on this image.

Judging by first episode So-Ra-No-Wo-To doesn't look bad. It made me yawn a few times but I didn't fall asleep(maybe because I watched it in the morning). I am definitely checking out a few more episodes before I decide about it. Now, lets see what others think...
Niomo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:03 am Reply with quote
Man. It's like a war version of K-On! I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not. I too, saw all the similarities of the characters, especially Captain Felicia (Mugi) and the soldier with black hair and red ribbons (Azusa) who's name has not been given yet.

After getting past the character models, the show itself was what I expected it to be. Simple introduction of the main character. I'm not impressed at the moment (although i expected to be, the art style is very nice).

What I am afraid of is this: Soranowoto will become a basic retelling of K-On! about a girl who doesn't know how to play music, and making friends, etc etc. I do not want to see K-On! being retold with different instruments. I expect to see at least a few episodes of action. They may be girls, but they ARE soldiers, after all.

Also, I've gotta toss this out. I hate Rio's voice. There is a reason Yu Kobayashi has played a lot of guy voices. Her voice is deep and manly, or at least the ones that I have heard are. And because of it, every time I see Rio talk, it is the equivalent of nails on a chalkboard to me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:35 am Reply with quote
I checked this one out, too. It's not setting my world on fire, but I'm interested enough to stick with it. It's odd that I didn't particularly like the character designs in K-ON! yet I don't mind the style here even though they are virtually identical. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that this is a fantastical world as opposed to a high school? I dunno. I love the background artwork and architecture, fabulous to look at. An actual story hasn't kicked in yet, but it looks like a fairly intriguing world (girl soldiers...okay).
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:20 pm Reply with quote
This was a major dissapointment for me. The story and setting seemed really interesting and unique, but the main character infuriates me- it's like she was created solely to appeal to hard core moe fans.

What I don't get is why they felt the need to do this. I get the feeling that this started out as a very "arty" series, and along the way somewhere someone decided to turn it into K-ON to try and appeal to a wider audience.

Whatever the reason, the moe-ness of the characters totally ruined the first episode for me. They stand out against the realistic and detailed setting, and I can't take such childish soldiers seriously.
Niomo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:

Whatever the reason, the moe-ness of the characters totally ruined the first episode for me. They stand out against the realistic and detailed setting, and I can't take such childish soldiers seriously.

I really didn't see any moe-ness going on, but I think you are right. They are supposed to be soldiers, but they look like little high school (eg K-On!) girls. I hope there is at least one "older" soldier who is on command of them. And I'm not talking about Captain Mugi -.-
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Considering the director also worked on Elfen Lied, I can imagine some really brutal drama happening on the girls in future episodes. The whole cutesy moe look on the girls will be a facade in order to pull a fast one! Twisted Evil

On another note, the OP song by Kalafina is downright gorgeous. I'm also wondering what language was that insert song that happened in the middle of the episode.
Dolza

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I am wondering how someone with perfect pitch can then be totally tone deaf on a bugle.
Skylark

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Dolza wrote:
I am wondering how someone with perfect pitch can then be totally tone deaf on a bugle.

A bugle has only 3 playable notes at various octaves; Bb, Eb and F# so I'd imagine it would be reasonably difficult..

I checked out that sankaku link, and that montage is insane. Having K-ON-esque design is one thing but I can't tell the difference even between some of the characters at all. I disapprove. :\
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mister V

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I was so put off by the character design that I'm not even going to start this one until I hear some very positive feedback. So far I've got other things to wait for (classical music, loli vampires, breast milk and... Irish?), should be enough for this season.
davidm30

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:30 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Skylark"]
Dolza wrote:

I'm no bugler myself, but she was probably selected to be a musician based on her innate perfect pitch (just like Yui in K-ON who could tune her guitar without using a reference tone). I'm retired Army, so I know that military musicians must be proficient on numerous instruments. The girl may be inept with a bugle, but might be good on drums or reeds.

The setting seems to be a post-war occupation, since the platoon is stationed in a peaceful village and participates in local cultural events. The uniforms are inspired by the WW2 German Heer; Field Grey with contrasting collars and gauntlet cuffs, but without the "litzen" embroidery.
I noticed that her orders were issued by the Republic of Helvetica (anyone been to Switzerland?).

I kinda like this show, so if the action scenes may feature blood and violence, like "Strike Witches", we'll be treated to the improbable juxtaposition of cute girls and military situations, again.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow, a very good opening episode for this show. The legend of spoiler[the Five (Fire?) Maidens] didn't really do it for me considering how it was a tad generic, but it worked a lot better once the producers spoiler[incorporated it into the city as a huge part of their culture] and when the main character (completely blanking on her name here) spoiler[stumbled upon what looked like the fossilized remains of the mythological beast.] That part really interested me.

I can see myself really hating some of the characters if they don't break away from their stereotypes, but to be completely honest the tone of the series so far reminds me of Haibane Renmei. I know that series is a masterpiece in many peoples' books, but girls who live together in a town with many myths and traditions of its own, while the main character struggles to fit in and adapt to her new surroundings? Sounds familiar to me.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:26 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

On another note, the OP song by Kalafina is downright gorgeous. I'm also wondering what language was that insert song that happened in the middle of the episode.

It sounded like french to me, but there might have been some Japanese in there too. Or maybe the Japanese singer was just mangling the pronounciation.

Quote:
So far I've got other things to wait for (classical music, loli vampires, breast milk and... Irish?)

What are the classical music and Irish ones?

And oh man, Qwaser.... I seriously cannot wait to see that. I hope it's as hilarious as it seems.

Quote:
and when the main character (completely blanking on her name here) spoiler[stumbled upon what looked like the fossilized remains of the mythological beast.] That part really interested me.

That was the part that really made me sit up and take notice as well. This show does have some interesting ideas, I'll give it that.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote
How's the music? Michuru Oshima composed it, so I was wondering if it was good or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Skylark

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:18 pm Reply with quote
davidm30 wrote:
Dolza wrote:

I'm no bugler myself, but she was probably selected to be a musician based on her innate perfect pitch (just like Yui in K-ON who could tune her guitar without using a reference tone). I'm retired Army, so I know that military musicians must be proficient on numerous instruments. The girl may be inept with a bugle, but might be good on drums or reeds.

I'm a musician and in the army so hey. I played with the reserve band in my country for two years as well. And yes you have to be quite proficient (level 6 AMEB in Australia) on two instruments to be able to play in an army _band_, however bugler is technically a non-combat attachment to infantry battalions (though it is being phased out since they don't really use them anymore, and most don't have one) and not actually a part of the music corps. Kind of going off topic here but yeah. Usually they aren't "selected"; but I mean I've done Anzac day a couple of times simply because someone higher up learned that I played cornet back in the day. You don't need to be good haha.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

It sounded like french to me, but there might have been some Japanese in there too. Or maybe the Japanese singer was just mangling the pronounciation.

Quote:
So far I've got other things to wait for (classical music, loli vampires, breast milk and... Irish?)

What are the classical music and Irish ones?

And oh man, Qwaser.... I seriously cannot wait to see that. I hope it's as hilarious as it seems.

Accordingly to a blog I frequent, of which the writer knows French, the song was in French and they did actually get a French singer to do it.

I'll guess that the classical music one is Nodame Cantabile Finale? No idea what the Irish one is, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 19