• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Hero Tales, Master of Martial Hearts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:54 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Hero Tales is the most generic manga I have ever read. I was surprised when I heard this was AFTER Fullmetal Alchemist. I thought manga-ka were supposed to go forward not backward.

Ha! That's what i thought when I watched the first 2 episodes and few chapters of the manga. I didn't like either that much and quickly lost interest. But I think Hero Tales was being done at the same time as FMA but don't quote me on that. Also a different writer worked on the manga I believe.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Count me in with the "Ok, whatever" crowd. I can't say that I'm disappointed with these anouncements, because there isn't anything that I really want Funimation to license. And yeah, tomorrow is probably going to be Toradora, which I don't really have any interest in, so I'll take my FLCL Blu-ray and send a box of chocolates to the folks in Flower Mound.

Ok, ok. I'll be excited when Funimation gets around to announcing the rest of the EVA movies, and I'll buy Valkyria Chronicles if it gets licensed. I feel a moral obligation to buy the disks if I watch the fansubs.
Brakus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm fine so far with the "Hero Tales" announcement; I liked what I saw from the few fansubs I got to see, and I like the manga so far. As long as you-know-who doesn't voice the lead, I'll be very happy. I'm kinda meh on the fanservice title, but I'm not really big into that kind of fan service, so meh on that.

I'm still holding out hope for the (possible) Zetsubou Sensei announcement tomorrow.... Smile
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Brakus wrote:
As long as you-know-who doesn't voice the lead, I'll be very happy.

Does his name rhyme with "click"?

Who knows. Maybe he'll be right for the role. But judging by the character design, maybe Travis Willingham will do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Hero Tales certainly wasn't one I expected to see Funimation pick up. I enjoyed the show well enough though it was sort of average so I'm wondering how it ended up on their radar. I expect bigger and probably better announcements tomorrow.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
*scans Fletcher1991's anime list*
Is this really coming from the person who gave Shuffle an "Excellent" rating, Tenjho Tenge a "Very Good", Girls Bravo a "Good", Golden Boy "Very Good", Green Green "Good" and Maburaho "Good"? You're honestly going to be the one to preach on about how "losers" watch and buy fanservice shows? Also, several of those shows have pretty poor ratings on ANN, which you also complained about.

So, basically, you're a hypocrite. Awesome.

Shuffle actually has a good story and if you honestly think I watched it for its fan service then you don't understand me at all. Since my favorite anime are Air, Kanon, Clannad, both Ef's, 5cm Per Second I think it safe to say I enjoy anime the most with a strong and emotional story which Shuffle at the end does quite well. Golden boy was hilarious and thats enough said about that. Tenjho tenge was also pretty good until the random ending that never finished it.

Good is the lowest ratings on my list of seen all, and for me it means that they are ok and watchable. If I rate something good it means that its not something I would recommend to somebody else. So for me rating something good it means nothing since its the bottom of my list.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:53 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Brakus wrote:

Or Bonnie Jong Box?
Brakus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Brakus wrote:

Who knows. Maybe he'll be right for the role.

I actually had someone else in mind, and only because said person had voiced a lot of other similar characters before (and quite well, I might add). Still, we'll see when the cast list comes out soon.

Quote:
But judging by the character design, maybe Travis Willingham will do it.

Heh, he could be pretty decent too....
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:
WTF if funimation thinking? Have you guys seen the ratings for these horrible anime? I have no idea why they would pick up anime with such horrible ratings and reviews.

Master of Martial Hearts:
anime#10150

Jyushin Enbu Hero Tales:
anime#8281

Such a joke, hopefully they will release some good anime tomorrow.

Are you seriously suggesting that Funimation should take ANN members reviews into consideration? The same people who said that the third greatest anime of all times is Code Geass R2, a series which basically glorifies massacres.

No, Funimation shouldn't take into account ANN, they should be making what sells, and those are not the same thing. Personally from what little I saw Hero tales was Generic, but it was also pretty good.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit dissapointed in Funimation regaurding these license annoucments. In addition to these mediocre titles and the fact that Funi annouced the titles immediately after licensing them which means by the time they are released, people are going to forget about the hype. 1 year? Come on, that's just plain lazy.

Zettai Shougeki isn't a very good OAV, nonetheless. While it's better than Ikkitousen that's not saying much.(I know because I watched the episodes early last summer.) The final episode ends on a FRIGGIN' cliffhanger! So you know it
s a letdown.

("X"s out title from Section23 may license list and adds "Lovedol~Lovely Idol" instead). I guess it wasn't really worth quick subbing was it ADV?
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Guys, just remember, it's the start of the year. There are going to be quite a few more announcements throughout 2010.

KanjiiZ wrote:
Hero Tales is the most generic manga I have ever read. I was surprised when I heard this was AFTER Fullmetal Alchemist. I thought manga-ka were supposed to go forward not backward.

Not a given. Buso Renkin came after Rurouni Kenshin, you know.

Reibooi wrote:

What the hell is up with Funi announcing shows so far in advance of the release of said show? I mean really? Spring 2011? It's gonna take a year and a half to translate/dub a show that's only 6 episodes? HUH?

Why announce it now if it's gonna take so long. Everyone will have long since forgotten about it come it's release day and will probably be confused as to what exactly it is yet again.

Seriously they do not need to announce something AS SOON as they get it(at least I don't think they do. Please correct me if I am wrong on that).

Look at Section 23 they are announcing things and then on average releasing the show they announced 2-3 months after. Now granted they are not doing dubs but seriously a year and half for 6 episodes? I don't think the dub can take that long. Especially when you consider how fast Viz and Bang zoom are dubbing something like Bleach.

Would it be so hard to wait for the show to be almost ready then announce it? I mean if the show is something most people don't know they will have forgotten about it. If the show is something people really wanted then the wait will be unbearable and they might resort to stuff like fansubs to see the show sooner. They might go to fansubs without a announcement as well which goes to show you can't please everyone but still. For those of us(like me) who like to buy the DVD's it's annoying to see a announcement with a release date that's so far away. Looking forward to the show or not.

Meh. Let's unpack this.

1. There have been large gaps between announcements and releases since...pretty much forever. Look up the New Show A Go Go from last year. That was when they announced Soul Eater, which is only now poised to come out. That was when they announced Rebuild of Evangelion, where the first (and lesser) release came out in November. That was when they rescued Champloo and Gankutsuou and they came out in June and April respectively, but those already had dubs.

This is nothing new.

You demand that license announcements happen only very soon before a release is due. Well, they could do that, but then we'd be waiting months longer for news. And then I imagine critics such as yourself would be asking "God, why isn't anything happening?!" Maybe not in your case, but the rhetoric would be there. So, I respectfully disagree.

2. Why would Master of Martial Hearts not come out until Spring 2011? Maybe because it's an obvious low-tier license and not high on FUNimation's priority list? Perhaps there are plenty of other titles to schedule for this year? The Bleach comparison is not apt; it's far more high-profile for Viz than this is for Funi.

3. Most of Section23's new licenses...aren't that good. The releases are also bare-bones and sub-only. I would rather see more digging into the recent past than acquisitions for the latest anime that were only halfway decent. Not that day 4 is a paragon example of this by any means, but still. I'd still buy Hero Tales, Kamui, or the newly-released FLCL before a sub-only release of Tears to Tiara.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Never heard of Hero Tales, but Platonic Heart was pretty awful. Think any generic girls fighting girls with super human strength and clothes ripping. It's exactly like Ikki Tousen with a big of Sekirei thrown in, but manages to be much worse than that in execution. I mean, the show is rated at an average 5.52 on MAL. I've only seen stuff like Odin and Mars of Destruction at levels that low.

I wonder if people will jump on me as well for posting MAL ratings, saying the obvious things about glaring problems with a few of their Top Anime, but aside from that, I'd say most scores for shows are entirely accurate. For something to be rated THAT low, it has to be bad. I mean, bad shows can still get scores of 6.50 - 6.75 most of the time.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
KanjiiZ wrote:

Ha! That's what i thought when I watched the first 2 episodes and few chapters of the manga. I didn't like either that much and quickly lost interest. But I think Hero Tales was being done at the same time as FMA but don't quote me on that. Also a different writer worked on the manga I believe.

Considering that FMA is still going on than yes she drew Hero Tales at the same time.

The key word being "draws" Hero Tales, she didn't write it, and if I remember right the group that created it was her former Circle.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I read some of Hero Tales in YP and wasn't too impressed by it. Didn't make me want to read more/find out the backstory (since I started 12 chapters in) and I don't believe there are a lot of scanlations for it either, which indicates that it didn't have that big a following either. Maybe they had to pick it up to get Brotherhood?
As for Master of Martial Hearts, yeah, if the guys are getting fanservice can the ladies get some as well? Black Butler would be good (even if the ending went screwy) and I know that YP is also releasing that right now.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I guess this is the future of the NA industry. I don't watch fansubs, only legally, and there are tons upon tons of fine shows I eagerly want to see (K-On, Higurashi Kai, Umineko, Toradora, Railgun, Macross F, Gurren Lagann movies, the Nanoha movie, Soranowoto. But it seems the market base isn't there for actually good shows, just cheap C-titles and mainstream pablum. It's a somewhat depressing start to the New Year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5