• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Hero Tales, Master of Martial Hearts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Are you seriously suggesting that Funimation should take ANN members reviews into consideration? The same people who said that the third greatest anime of all times is Code Geass R2, a series which basically glorifies massacres.

No, Funimation shouldn't take into account ANN, they should be making what sells, and those are not the same thing.

No, but they can be...as even your own example illustrates.

You do realize that plenty of shows, games and movies that glorify violence and sex to ridiculous extremes actually sell, or don't you? Kinda makes your appeal a bit...useless if not outright contradictory. Despite your issues with a certain show, it probably also sells.

In this particular case, none of the two shows in question are of any interest to me but I can tell that Master of Martial Hearts will probably sell based on its generous amounts of fanservice, if nothing else, which is essentially objectification of the female gender and so forth. Not exactly something worth celebrating, but I'd say that sells too.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Guys, just remember, it's the start of the year. There are going to be quite a few more announcements throughout 2010.

KanjiiZ wrote:
Hero Tales is the most generic manga I have ever read. I was surprised when I heard this was AFTER Fullmetal Alchemist. I thought manga-ka were supposed to go forward not backward.

Not a given. Buso Renkin came after Rurouni Kenshin, you know.

Reibooi wrote:

What the hell is up with Funi announcing shows so far in advance of the release of said show? I mean really? Spring 2011? It's gonna take a year and a half to translate/dub a show that's only 6 episodes? HUH?

Why announce it now if it's gonna take so long. Everyone will have long since forgotten about it come it's release day and will probably be confused as to what exactly it is yet again.

Seriously they do not need to announce something AS SOON as they get it(at least I don't think they do. Please correct me if I am wrong on that).

Look at Section 23 they are announcing things and then on average releasing the show they announced 2-3 months after. Now granted they are not doing dubs but seriously a year and half for 6 episodes? I don't think the dub can take that long. Especially when you consider how fast Viz and Bang zoom are dubbing something like Bleach.

Would it be so hard to wait for the show to be almost ready then announce it? I mean if the show is something most people don't know they will have forgotten about it. If the show is something people really wanted then the wait will be unbearable and they might resort to stuff like fansubs to see the show sooner. They might go to fansubs without a announcement as well which goes to show you can't please everyone but still. For those of us(like me) who like to buy the DVD's it's annoying to see a announcement with a release date that's so far away. Looking forward to the show or not.

Meh. Let's unpack this.

1. There have been large gaps between announcements and releases since...pretty much forever. Look up the New Show A Go Go from last year. That was when they announced Soul Eater, which is only now poised to come out. That was when they announced Rebuild of Evangelion, where the first (and lesser) release came out in November. That was when they rescued Champloo and Gankutsuou and they came out in June and April respectively, but those already had dubs.

This is nothing new.

You demand that license announcements happen only very soon before a release is due. Well, they could do that, but then we'd be waiting months longer for news. And then I imagine critics such as yourself would be asking "God, why isn't anything happening?!" Maybe not in your case, but the rhetoric would be there. So, I respectfully disagree.

2. Why would Master of Martial Hearts not come out until Spring 2011? Maybe because it's an obvious low-tier license and not high on FUNimation's priority list? Perhaps there are plenty of other titles to schedule for this year? The Bleach comparison is not apt; it's far more high-profile for Viz than this is for Funi.

3. Most of Section23's new licenses...aren't that good. The releases are also bare-bones and sub-only. I would rather see more digging into the recent past than acquisitions for the latest anime that were only halfway decent. Not that day 4 is a paragon example of this by any means, but still. I'd still buy Hero Tales, Kamui, or the newly-released FLCL before a sub-only release of Tears to Tiara.

I am aware that the wait forever and a half release thing from Funi isn't new. That's why I got annoyed with it and brought up the topic in the first place.

I can see what you mean when you say they would have less news if they were to wait on announcements until they were ready. For me that would not be a big deal. Because while Funi may be big they are not the only game in town. There will be licensing news coming from Section 23, Bandai, Mediablasters and so on and so forth. However I am sure you are correct in stating that tons of people would freak out over lack of news from funi.

If Martial Hearts is such a low tier show for Funi why bother including it in the roll out riot at all? They seem to think it's a big deal on the Funi blog so I don't know if I would entirely agree with that assessment. However depending on the shows and release dates we get tomorrow that may make more sense time will tell.

I am also aware that the Bleach comparison is unfair. My point with the comparison is that a dub for a show can be done very quickly and still be very high quality and seeing as Funi is the only consistent dubber these days I would think if anyone could do something like that it would be them.

As for Section 23 having licenses that are not that good I think that one is opinion. If you are referring to the sub only release with no extras well I think that's unfair. Alot of companies are releasing shows sub only. And the vast majority of shows Funi is getting don't have any good extras either. They more often then not come with nothing but a clean opener and closer. Those are to be expected and I don't consider those extras. Sure there are a few exceptions but you get my point.

If you are referring to the fact that the shows Section 23 are getting are weak well then again it's opinion. Alot of people like the shows they are picking up and I personally am VERY excited to be seeing Maria Holic coming out. That's one show I never expected to see licensed.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Are you seriously suggesting that Funimation should take ANN members reviews into consideration? The same people who said that the third greatest anime of all times is Code Geass R2, a series which basically glorifies massacres.

No, Funimation shouldn't take into account ANN, they should be making what sells, and those are not the same thing. Personally from what little I saw Hero tales was Generic, but it was also pretty good.

Like I said in a post after that one, check any anime site on the web, they all give them crappy reviews. And while I don't agree with Code Geass R2 being the third best anime of all time it is definitely a popular and well received show. I personally thought it was really good myself. What I am trying to say is if almost everyone who has seen it says its not that good, chances are its not that good and vice versa. Also I think the ANN ratings and reviews are pretty accurate when it comes to most anime.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
^I don't think it's a matter of "quality" as such, whether it's determined by reviews or polls that's far from being the single most influential factor since lots of great shows sell poorly and vice versa, as much as one of real or perceived marketing and sales potential.

A specific series can have a strong cult following online and yet still sell rather poorly because of licensing issues, bad marketing or unrealistic sales expectations as relatively recent ANNcasts have made clear.

On the other hand, an unknown show can sell very well, proportionally speaking, if properly marketed to its audience.

In other words, I'm not thrilled by these announcements but they could ostensibly turn out to be profitable...or they might not, for all we know, but it will take a while to find that out.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:

I am aware that the wait forever and a half release thing from Funi isn't new. That's why I got annoyed with it and brought up the topic in the first place.

I can see what you mean when you say they would have less news if they were to wait on announcements until they were ready. For me that would not be a big deal. Because while Funi may be big they are not the only game in town. There will be licensing news coming from Section 23, Bandai, Mediablasters and so on and so forth. However I am sure you are correct in stating that tons of people would freak out over lack of news from funi.

Quite so. On your first point, okay, that's fair enough I suppose. I don't like waiting either, I just consider it a necessary evil.

Quote:
If Martial Hearts is such a low tier show for Funi why bother including it in the roll out riot at all? They seem to think it's a big deal on the Funi blog so I don't know if I would entirely agree with that assessment. However depending on the shows and release dates we get tomorrow that may make more sense time will tell.

Good question. I'm not sure why they bothered period, to be honest, but oh well. It's only natural for them to pitch it though, they'd never license a show and go "yeeeaaaaah, it's all right..." Wink Fortunately, they generally license more than enough good shows as alternatives to the handful that I personally consider to be outright duds.

Quote:
I am also aware that the Bleach comparison is unfair. My point with the comparison is that a dub for a show can be done very quickly and still be very high quality and seeing as Funi is the only consistent dubber these days I would think if anyone could do something like that it would be them.

True...but they also do much more dubbing than anyone else, especially now. The long wait for Soul Eater notwithstanding, I'm willing to cut them some slack.
Quote:

As for Section 23 having licenses that are not that good I think that one is opinion. If you are referring to the sub only release with no extras well I think that's unfair. Alot of companies are releasing shows sub only. And the vast majority of shows Funi is getting don't have any good extras either. They more often then not come with nothing but a clean opener and closer. Those are to be expected and I don't consider those extras. Sure there are a few exceptions but you get my point.

Fair point on the extras and I'm willing to buy sub-only myself, but the show usually has to be really solid for me to consider it worthwhile. Complicating matters is that the sub-only shows that do exist have to compete against others that are dubbed. So I can tell people that Toward the Terra from Bandai is excellent (which it is), but if they don't own Gundam or PlanetES or Heroic Age it becomes a harder sell in comparison.

As for quality, I think a few are good whereas others are arguably just as weak...considering how the former ADV broke up in part because of too many B and C list titles saturating the market, I just worry and would prefer them to be careful about what they grab--especially in light of the sub-only issue, where quality has to overcome that shortcoming. I mean, is Polyphanica really going to sell? Don't get me wrong though--I'm interested in Glass Mask just for starters, and I may yet give Clannad a second look to see what the fuss is about (I tried it once, was ambivalent, and then moved on). My point isn't that S23 lacks good licenses, but that faster and/or more recent releases aren't necessarily ideal as a rule.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Buso Renkin is ten times more generic than Rurouni Kenshin, but ten times more fun. The fights are actually better animated in the anime, don't know about the manga.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Sentai Film Works has alot of good Licenses they just don't dub there Anime which disqualifies them from even being spoken of with the big guys. (FUNimation and Viz) (Even though FUNimation is leaving me in Despair right now at least they still dub.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Something just hit me: What if they gag dub Master of Marital Hearts? I feel like they've already started by giving it the title they did. I don't know a lick of Japanese, but I don't think "Master of Martial Hearts" is any kind of translation. If it's a horrible as others are making it sound, a gag dub seems perfect and I'd definitely buy it then.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:07 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Something just hit me: What if they gag dub Master of Marital Hearts? I feel like they've already started by giving it the title they did. I don't know a lick of Japanese, but I don't think "Master of Martial Hearts" is any kind of translation. If it's a horrible as others are making it sound, a gag dub seems perfect and I'd definitely buy it then.

That's a possibility that could happen. Funi must wetting people's pallets for what ever is supposed to be announced tomorrow which I am hoping for something good. MOMH looks like it could be so bad it's good, or easily become a guilty pleasure show. I'll have to keep my eye on it when it starts coming out or when Funi starts streaming episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wooga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Wow, for a second I thought they had licensed Zettai Karen Children...now THAT would have made my day
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Reibooi wrote:

Quite so. On your first point, okay, that's fair enough I suppose. I don't like waiting either, I just consider it a necessary evil.

Doesn't seem like this is early hype per-se. It seems more of a Rah-Rah-FUNi brings out new licenses, and then closer to it coming out is when the release hype will hit. Besides, if response is really this lukewarm, why should it matter when they announce? At least this way when they go to release it, instead of being some show with no following it becomes a "I've heard of that somewhere..."

One other benefit to going through this now is letting them set the terms for the announcement rather than it coming via reports from sites receciving C&Ds.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, what to say... meh.

Arrrgh, I hope tomorrow is glorious!
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I know this is pretty much expected from Funi by now, but why would Zettai Shougeki take so long?? Spring 2011?? It's only 5 episodes (30 min each)!
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
I know this is pretty much expected from Funi by now, but why would Zettai Shougeki take so long?? Spring 2011?? It's only 5 episodes (30 min each)!

One would assume that is based on the assumed arrival time of the materials. It wouldn't be the first time the materials would take a long time to arrive.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:13 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:

Fair point on the extras and I'm willing to buy sub-only myself, but the show usually has to be really solid for me to consider it worthwhile. Complicating matters is that the sub-only shows that do exist have to compete against others that are dubbed. So I can tell people that Toward the Terra from Bandai is excellent (which it is), but if they don't own Gundam or PlanetES or Heroic Age it becomes a harder sell in comparison.

As for quality, I think a few are good whereas others are arguably just as weak...considering how the former ADV broke up in part because of too many B and C list titles saturating the market, I just worry and would prefer them to be careful about what they grab--especially in light of the sub-only issue, where quality has to overcome that shortcoming. I mean, is Polyphanica really going to sell? Don't get me wrong though--I'm interested in Glass Mask just for starters, and I may yet give Clannad a second look to see what the fuss is about (I tried it once, was ambivalent, and then moved on). My point isn't that S23 lacks good licenses, but that faster and/or more recent releases aren't necessarily ideal as a rule.

I understand your disgruntled that Section23 isn't putting out big mainstream titles, but you need to cut them some slack and give them some time. They don't yet have a large Japanese investor that will allow them to invest in dubbing or will provide them with the biggest title licenses, and they can't yet produce Blu-Ray masters. Section23/ADV is trying to seal a partnership deal with FCI/Pony Canyon through the deal, they can once again license a dozen new titles, pick up CPM's OOP and never-released-on DVD library and invest more in promotion and marketing. Once this deal is finalized then you shall see half a dozen dubs at least 6 a year from them.

They are still restructing. The Sojitz debacle of 2008 nearly ruined them and almost sunk the company. They are putting out titles fans like, not nessasarily all fans but shows niche fans can relate to. You shouldn't say that because they are putting out quick sub releases in the hopes of earning strong returns from them.

Last edited by GrilledEelHamatsu on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5