• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Hero Tales, Master of Martial Hearts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
I know this is pretty much expected from Funi by now, but why would Zettai Shougeki take so long?? Spring 2011?? It's only 5 episodes (30 min each)!

On top of that it's fairly mediocre and dull.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Also gonna point out that Oh Edo Rocket was licensed last New Year and there has been no info on it since (except that the page for it says "Coming in 2010!"). I'm one of those people who thinks (rightly or wrongly) that it's better to try and get the DVDs out ASAP after the Japanese release to hold people's attention so I'm a bit puzzled here.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
Wow, for a second I thought they had licensed Zettai Karen Children...now THAT would have made my day

From what I've heard, Section23 is seeking this title. Once they partner up with FCI/Pony Canyon they plan on investing heavily on this title dub and everything.
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:03 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Wooga wrote:
Wow, for a second I thought they had licensed Zettai Karen Children...now THAT would have made my day

From what I've heard, Section23 is seeking this title. Once they partner up with FCI/Pony Canyon they plan on investing heavily on this title dub and everything.

Where did you hear that from? (PM me if you need to be discrete about that).
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Not too surprising to me.

Funimation appears to be looking for gold in licenses that were not overly popular via fansub and thus may have some small "oh well, I guess I will buy it" factor.

Going just by comments and having no knowledge of the fansub scene, that is what I have gathered.

Dubs for fansub favorites appear to be highly unlikely going forward, unless it is a Funi coproduced deal.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:44 am Reply with quote
I am not impressed. The only good thing about Hero Tales is the openings (I enjoy the Beat Crusaders and High and Mighty Color).

A gag dub on MOMH would be cool. It looks like a bootleg Ikkitousen.

Here's hoping to see some much better pick ups.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:58 am Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
Funimation appears to be looking for gold in licenses that were not overly popular via fansub and thus may have some small "oh well, I guess I will buy it" factor.

This might actually make some sense, because believe me these were not popular.

Hero Tales came out at the height of my interest in fansubs, when I was downloading literally everything to try out, and all 5 initial groups dropped it, none of whom were big names to begin with. Zettai Shougeki ~Platonic Heart~ should be a perfect fansub show--girls designed by Jin Happōbi tearing each other's clothes off a la Ikki Tousen? What's not to like! Yet no love for it. The only caveat there is it being an OVA, released over a long period, so it's easy to forget and difficult to develop hype (it pretty much takes an Eve no Jikan or Kara no Kyoukai to do that, which BTW would be a wonderful announcement for tomorrow...).

These are at best "C" titles, but have numbers that work for Funi. They are licensed because they calculate they will make money on them, not because they are high quality titles. Any marketing department who wants to keep their job is going to tell you their products are all great, of course.

Oh, and I agree the reason they announce right away is to get the shows off bittorrent as quickly as possible. Most decent sites don't even wait for Funi C&Ds anymore, but just take them down when they announce. The old fansubs of their shows really aren't easy to find for the casual downloader.

This whole Riot thing is a non-event so far, IMHO. FLCL is nice, but not that big a deal. Only for me because of the BD. The DVD release won't be any better, and could very well be far less, than the special edition box release. This just isn't what I would expect for an end-of-year event. I mean, even though that 10 Days of Christmas or whatever had a lot of rescues (I recall the complaints about that, BTW--not looking so bad now), it still was an impressive list. This time is just, "What?"

I would imagine they are still having a tough time negotiating licenses low enough to make money on popular titles. The market is likely just that bad, that very few shows actually look profitable on paper now that reality has firmly set into the business. They were smart enough to survive, and that logic applied even firmer now results in what we are seeing licensed.

At this point, I have not the slightest idea what to expect for tomorrow, and have in fact lowered my expectations to zero in preparation.

And finally... ANN's histograms are actually pretty accurate as to a show's overall "quality", taking into account both the number of ratings and the actual scores. A show that's a balanced green and red is nearly always a "C" at best, and lower if only a few people rated it. (As to the rating of Charred Knight's hobby horse, that's been discussed... and explained... exhaustively... with the second-season phenomena--and of course by the fact that it actually is a very entertaining anime). It's still personal choice, because some of those C's are favorites of mine, but overall it's a very good gauge.

Now I'll wander over to the podcast and see what Funi themselves have to say...
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:35 am Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Section23/ADV is trying to seal a partnership deal with FCI/Pony Canyon through the deal,

[Citation Needed]

Quote:
pick up CPM's OOP and never-released-on DVD library
[Citation Needed]

Quote:
Once this deal is finalized then you shall see half a dozen dubs at least 6 a year from them.

[Citation Needed]

GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Wooga wrote:

[Citation Required]
ZKC is a TV Tokyo/Shopro/Geneon title.

Got any real sources this time TornadoTatsumaki?
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:59 am Reply with quote
Yeah I'd like to see some concrete intel myself. I've seen these "ADV and Pony Canyon" rumors for years and never heard a single thing that suggested that they were anything but a pet theory of a few (perhaps just one) random poster.
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:51 am Reply with quote
Here I thought they were going to release something interesting ...

That master one is definitely a joke. I swear. Did anyone check out that video linked on the blog? It has horrid animation and re-used images several times. You can see how cheap it is - or the fact that the editing is bad ... either one or both.

Ha ha for a second I thought it was the actual opening Laughing Wait ...

And what I hear of Hero Tales, it is meant to be mediocre at best.

The only thing that has come out of this so far is FLCL. (I have no idea about the live action movies though ... )

Let's hope for tomorrow.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:33 am Reply with quote
Jyushin Enbu Hero Tales looks like an awesome fighting/martial arts anime for men, but I'll have to pass on Martial Hearts, the splash page on FUNi's site for it just completely throws me off =/.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:20 pm Reply with quote
JYUUSHIN ENBU = WANT. Very Happy
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:46 am Reply with quote
Considering it involved FMA's creator, I should have seen Hero Tales coming from a mile, only that...I totally forgot about the show. I guess it is just unusual to see FUNimation license something over two years old, all things considered. It didn't get very good marks beforehand, but I suppose they will be using FMA as a selling point and probably use some of that show's dub cast, as well.

As for "Master of Martial Hearts", the name sounds half-corny, half-clever (prefered just "Platonic Hearts", though it's less marketable). Based on some of the screenshots and descriptions, it seems ridiculous, like Ikkitousen's weaker little sister. Even so, I'll check both shows out, just to keep things fair. However, a year's wait for the latter seems like quite a long time (I guess that is what they call a "B" title, however much I hate those sort of distinctions). Like an earlier poster said, I don't see how they can't shoehorn in a 5 eps. show to dub and prep for release this year, unless they have a slew of titles yet-to-be-announced...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Uh..... why does it say that Master of Martial hearts is going to be released in Spring 2011 and on funimation's website it says it will be released in Winter 2010 here is the link http://www.funimation.com/f_index.cfm?page=news&id=615
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Funimation's Twitter says that's an error, and Master of Martial Hearts is scheduled for Spring 2011.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5