• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Gets Hetalia, The Sacred Blacksmith Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I was expecting more of a "bang" on Friday, but it is what it is.

Do not underestimate the fangirl fanbase! Shocked

I can imagine a lot of favorite male VAs FUNi has in their disposal will be used in the dubbing.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
This riot has been a complete bust for me in terms of anything interesting, but I imagine Sacred Blacksmith should do well. I consider it to easily be Manglobe's most disappointing and generic production by far, but the production values are pretty good. As for Hetalia, it's very popular in Japan, but I have to wonder how well it will do here.

Last edited by hissatsu01 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
poonk

The King of Harts wrote:
I might give Hetalia a chance since it's only 5 minutes a pop and will now be available in dub form, but I'll wait to see what the price point is.
Do give Hetalia a chance, as it's quite charming. Finally, something I want to buy! But did I miss the part in the article where it said it was being dubbed? (not that I particularly care one way or another-- I'm rather attached to the Japanese seiyuu at this point, 50 eps in-- but I didn't see that part).

Edit: Is it just a given because it's FUNimation? I don't follow the dub/sub-only wars (as long as subs & Japanese audio are available, I don't really care what other language tracks exist), so I don't know

Last edited by poonk on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lunamaria

[ sits on top of the Everest to watch the Hetalia-related wankplosion in one, two, three. . . ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
asimpson2006

Maryohki wrote:
If they goof on Hetalia, heads will roll. If Vic Mignogna gets a part, heads will roll. So heads will probably be rolling. =/.

I could never understand why people don't like Vic Mignogna. I think he is a fine VA and never had a problem with him.

Anyways I am curious of both of these releases. Hetalia has gotten my interest lately so I will have to give this a watch some streaming episodes come available. Never heard of The Sacred Blacksmith before so now I do have some interest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Blacksmith isn't too bad. I slow start overall but it has a few cool moments in the first few episodes and the animation is nice throughout. I downloaded a few and haven't gotten to all of them yet so I'll use those to gauge if I'll buy or not.

But yeah, no new licenses I'm thrilled about so far. Most of what I'm interested in is hitting CR so I guess that's cool. Plan to watch it alot there to help intice a DVD release. As for older 2009 stuff, I was hoping for some Valkyria Chronicles or Basquash.

What the heck happened to Basquash anyways? That kind of dropped off the radar after a decent start. I guess the story got weird after a while? Or the fact there seemed to be no real story to it? It feel off my radar.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that Funi got Hetalia since the episodes are so short but hey, saves on the dubbing costs I guess. But I'm more amused at the fact that so many Hetalia fans have forgotten about that wonderful menu on DVDs called "Language Preferences." Seriously folks, two more clicks of a button should not kill your whole anime viewing experience.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Do yourself a favor and don't get excited about Blacksmith. It's yet another Tenchi series that blows with a twist-- it's in a fantasy land!

Hetalia is pretty good. I will definitely buy that. I just wish it was all in one set though. That's a great way to start off the new year.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I just watched The Sacred BalckSmith and it was awesome, can't wait now, it has to have a second season, the ending is one of those ending that nothing significant happens and the "big goal" in not accomplished.
Can't wait though. Very Happy

Suck that there is no ToraDora. Sad
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
DVD GET! (Both)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BunnyCupCakes

Nice news for the Hetalia fans Smile
But I'm kind of scared how crazy the "craze" will turn out to be because of this (as if the fandom wasn't crazy enough to begin with lol)

The Sacred Blacksmith.....is alright.
I've stopped watching it after a couple episodes (for other reasons) but I guess this convinces me to finish it soon.
Though, it would be cool if they had gotten Manglobe's other title, Michiko and Hatchin which I find better character-wise (plus who wouldn't want to watch a show starring a hot kickass diva setting up trouble?)

Last edited by BunnyCupCakes on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
The King of Harts

poonk wrote:
But did I miss the part in the article where it said it was being dubbed? (not that I particularly care one way or another-- I'm rather attached to the Japanese seiyuu at this point, 50 eps in-- but I didn't see that part).

It's Funimation so I automatically assumed it'd be dubbed.

I'm not exactly disappointed because there are several shows I'm buying from this roll out (FLCL BD, Martial Hearts, Sacred Blacksmith), but I was really hoping this would be the time Toradora would be licensed. We do still have 11 other months for them to make an announcement, though, so I'll keep my hope up.

KanjiiZ wrote:
Do yourself a favor and don't get excited about Blacksmith. It's yet another Tenchi series that blows with a twist-- it's in a fantasy land!

Did you just compare it to Tenchi Muyo? How is that a bad thing?

Last edited by The King of Harts on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Hetalia might be a big title in certain circles, but I have absolutely no interest in it.

So I guess it has been a pretty weak year, besides FLCL. I wish there was at least one new show I could look forward to buying. K-On, orz.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...are they going to have twenty Hetalia episodes on one disc? Are they going to dub everyone with ridiculous accents? (And they will dub it; they never do sub-only releases, and they've said they don't ever intend to.)
Jih2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Won't be buying Hetalia but I know a ton of people will.

Blacksmith I've heard is absolutely terrible so I may just watch a few of the fansubs I've got sitting around here that I downloaded for giggles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 14