• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mardock Scramble Anime Film Website Launched

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow I haven't gotten onto ANN all week and am greeted with cool news Smile

bleuster wrote:
Interestingly enough, Murata's last doujin at this past Comickit was his art for Shangri-la. I won't be able to read it for a while, but it'll show more-or-less of how much he focused on it. He's been really busy these past couple years.

Bleuster, do you happen to know the name of this book?
If it shows up anywhere I'll probably end up buying it like I have most of Murata's art collections.

bleuster wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
But then Shangri-la came along and didn't look that much like Murata to me.
I felt the same way. Too bad it turned out the way it did. It was one of the few series I was looking forward to that season.

Last Exile was done very well; in style, story, acting - a highlight in the anime world, imo, but I guess expecting Shangri-la to match it on that level might have been asking for a bit much.

So true, one of my highlights as well and I agree it was probably quite unfair to expect Shangri-La to match Last Exile as the amount of pre-production work that clearly went into LE was seemingly huge from the likes of Murata and Maeda etc. and also it was Gonzo at the peak of both their funding and almost all of their really important staff in hands on positions (before they got spread out) as Last Exile was billed as their anniversary project and whatnot at the time.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
I never thought this would see the light of day again. Please say Murata is still involved, as that is what attracted me to it in the first place.

Same here, man do I hope he's still involved.

Dante80 wrote:
This is surprising news. Mardock Scramble was supposed to be a quadruple+ budget TV series production to commemorate GONZOs 15th anniversary (much like what Last Exile was for their 10th).....

Happy times ahead (hopefully)... Very Happy

Hopefully indeed, I was so looking forwards to the bits of the scifi story that were described and Murata's involvement.

dormcat wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
FIXED. I could care less about Gonzo, but don't take away my Murata.

I'll ask him directly @ TIBE two weeks from now, as long as this is not a "forbidden" question.

Please do Smile I hope he's allowed to answer it.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:53 am Reply with quote
@DangerMouse: That was bleuster who made that comment not me.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:10 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
@DangerMouse: That was bleuster who made that comment not me.

Ah yeah, sorry about that. Edited.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't actually have any Murata doujin or other artbooks (but have seen pictures and lusted after them), but I do have a few issues of Robot and, more recently, the "100 Master of bishoujo painting" artbook which has a lovely Murata cover.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
bleuster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:41 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Bleuster, do you happen to know the name of this book?
If it shows up anywhere I'll probably end up buying it like I have most of Murata's art collections.
Just SHANGRI-LA (or シャングリ・ラ). I took a peek at some samples and they look gorgeous! I don't know how he does it, but Murata has been pleasantly surprising me with each new doujin he releases. Yeah, definitely check it out when you get the chance.
I didn't finish Shangri-La, but it seems some of the characteristics from Murata's designs didn't translate well into the series, for whatever reason.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
I don't actually have any Murata doujin or other artbooks (but have seen pictures and lusted after them), but I do have a few issues of Robot and, more recently, the "100 Master of bishoujo painting" artbook which has a lovely Murata cover.
Was the cover all he did? I was thinking of picking that up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote
He has two pages inside like all the other artists; a full page illustration of Kuniko from the cover of Newtype and three smaller pieces reprinted from other magaines including Robot. The major surprises was that the entire book is bilingual, with most of the text translated into English.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dante80

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I didn't finish Shangri-La, but it seems some of the characteristics from Murata's designs didn't translate well into the series, for whatever reason.

I wouldn't say that it was Muratas fault though....

Original design by Range MURATA (村田蓮爾) :

Design by Kumi ISHII (石井久美).
bleuster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
@Shiroi Hane: That's really interesting!
I know Murata was doing interviews up and down the streets to promote Robot when DMP had the rights to publish them (at least the first 3 vols.) in the U.S.
Too bad the Robot series is "licensing hell", even Udon Entertainment could only publish 3 vols. Stateside, but it sounds like they had importers in mind with this release.

Quote:
I wouldn't say that it was Muratas fault though....
Yeah, I see that. It wasn't like he was overseeing the entire project. It's just interesting seeing his designs, then what the studios do with them. Like Solty Rei, and even the video game, "Spy Fiction", showed a strong influence by his conceptual design. It's just really interesting how the final designs turn out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote
The character designs are certainly appealing. I'm not in the best position to judge this, but there does seem to be a manifest resemblance to Battle Angel. Though tales of vengeance don't constitute usual watching for me, the implied romance angle could compensate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2