• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation: No More Big Windup! Anime to Be Licensed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:38 am Reply with quote
joystick1101 wrote:
I'll take this as its OK to watch season 2 fansubbed. I'm not saying fansubs r OK but face it how else am I gonna see it? For the record I never saw season 1 fansubbed, I only rented season 1 on netflix.

I believe, given the circumstances, that's perfectly acceptable.

While I'm no big fan of sports anime, it's always a shame in my book to see a series suffer after it's been brought over.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:51 am Reply with quote
3mapletrees wrote:
I bought season 1 and enjoyed it throughly. I'm am saddened that sales were such that season 2 will not be licensed. I will hold out a blind hope that there will be something that will change funi's mind...like the discontent on this forum!

What would prob change their minds faster is more people buying the title imo.

That was a nice dub too.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:40 am Reply with quote
Just wanted to weigh in with a big vote of approval at ANN's decision to treat the Big Windup! info that came out of the last podcast as newsworthy. One of my biggest beefs about the anime industry in general and distribs specifically is that they are often informational black holes, letting us fans swim in the fetid waters of speculation. So I'm thrilled that representatives of a distrib actually came out and straight up provided information on future plans for a specific title. I hope more of this goes on in the future.

Your instinct for what is newsworthy was bang on, Egan. Kudos.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:38 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Just wanted to weigh in with a big vote of approval at ANN's decision to treat the Big Windup! info that came out of the last podcast as newsworthy. One of my biggest beefs about the anime industry in general and distribs specifically is that they are often informational black holes, letting us fans swim in the fetid waters of speculation. So I'm thrilled that representatives of a distrib actually came out and straight up provided information on future plans for a specific title. I hope more of this goes on in the future.

Your instinct for what is newsworthy was bang on, Egan. Kudos.

I agree.

It's best to have the truth given to us then to wallow in speculation and baseless hope. Thanks FUNi for being straight with us.
m_milburn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:56 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
m_milburn wrote:
pf91rodman wrote:
Stop being cheap and buy the dang DVD's. I can understand if you're the 12% who are poor, but for the 88% of you middle class and upper class people who can afford luxuries one in a while, cut back on downloading/streaming whatever, and just buy it! If you really love anime that much, you should support what you love by providing animation companies money so they can continue doing what they're doing. Stop ruining it for all of us.
Thank you to the people who actually buy the DVD's and merchandise. Without you, anime wouldn't be as big as it is now.

I'm outa here. Arrow

I agree! Quit making excuses for being cheap, being impatient, and being immature kids and grow-up. Anime, whether you like it or not is an industry and a business. Everyone from the creators, to the actors, to the distributors, have to "put food on their tables" just like you or your parents have to. Every time you download anime or manga for free, you're taking money from every person who helped bring you that bit of enjoyment which is not fair. They should be compensated for what they do. And those artist and distributors may barely be making ends meet and you're not helping them. Regardless of the politics and artistic beliefs, The people who create and bring you anime have to survive and make a living in order to continue that. Try preaching that "it's too expensive" story to the ones in Japan who create it and see if they agree with free downloading. Grow up or Wake up!

Who are you to decide what others can afford?
I have over 2300 anime dvds which I've acquired in the last 8 yrs meaning approximately 300 dvds per year, but I'm pretty damned sure I didn't buy 300 dvds last year because I had a really rough year. It's a boon for me the industry has switched away from singles, but last year was bad enough, I am waiting for full sets at viridian prices for most everything I buy. Yeah, the day TRSI put up this week's Funi sale I ordered One Piece & Sgt Frog, but they are about the only titles I'm buying in their initial releases. I'm always up for gal harem & yaoi, so I'm looking at Neo Angelique at the next Section 23 sale. Hetalia will be first Funi sale after they're posted. (A gal has priorities)
Why WOULDN'T a company try to recoup their costs? Yes, one could argue it's bad business to offer super-cheap sets across the board because people know they can wait, but some choose not to. Some dislike the cheaper packaging or the longer wait, etc.
Retail is all about what the customer will pay. The seller offers the item & certain people buy it while others wait for a sale. If the seller believes s/he can sell more, the price might drop. Don't we see this in domestic movie releases? The week it's released, a movie retails for more than it can be had for if the buyer is willing to wait 6 months or a year. Eventually the movie will probably hit the $5 bin. It's a matter ofd appealing to different fans. The "must haves" ones are likely amongst those who buy it pretty close to the initial release (& impulse-good sale+spare cash). The $5 eventual price is for the ones who wouldn't pay $20, but see it in the $5 bin & pick it up because it was a pretty good movie, worth $5.
I'm not a sports fan. I really don't see the point of sports anime (why not just hire a bunch of kids & do it live-action? Has to be cheaper) & they are pretty low on my "must have" list

Hey,

You know renting is another option if you don't want to buy. Still...don't steal from the artist. As a guy who creates manga...I don't charge an arm and leg, but I would feel disrespected if people just swiped my manga off my artist booth without permission. If you don't buy anime, rent anime. If a particular anime hasn't been released in the USA yet, try Animelane.com or www.havsumpayshins.com
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote
tankerboy wrote:
I don't know if this is the place to post this but until the ANNcast I was only vaguely aware of Big Windup! and after reading the synopsis, I gotta say, it still doesn't sound all that interesting. However, I'm a big fan of Cross Game and rank Touch, Bamboo Blade, and Yawara! among my favorites - how does it compare to any of these?

I've only watched Cross Game and Big Windup of the ones you mentioned (downloading Touch, but haven't watched it yet).

Cross Game, while definitely a baseball anime, is also a romance and heavily character driven. It's about Kou and Aoba and Wakaba and the people around them. They happen to play baseball.

Big Windup just felt more about the game. It's very analytical (kinda has to be, since only two games are featured throughout the season). People complain that Mihashi is whiny and spineless, but he's not really, it's more like he was verbally abused and bullied. So the series is about him learning to trust and gain self-confidence and for people to see past his frail exterior. Yeah, there are BL tones (another complaint by some people), but it's for comedic effect, and it's obvious the creators are making light-hearted fun of it.

Big Windup was the first baseball series which made me realize how much strategy goes into baseball, and I was impressed.

I like both Big Windup and Cross Game very much, but for different reasons.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:13 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Oh god...Can we please do away with this old logical fallacy already? Comparing Japan to North America is flawed.

Actually, if you're going to throw around the term "logical fallacy," I would like to point out that "relativist fallacy" or "subjectivist fallacy" is a recognized fallacy, but what I'm doing isn't. Logic is a system that relies on applying the same rules across all situations: consistency above all. "If a, then b" not "If a, then b, except for in some arbitrary situations where I'll ignore this rule."

Relativist fallacies operate under the presupposition that propositions declared to have a subject- or situation-dependent truth value actually have a stronger and circumstantially invariant truth value. In each case of such an accusation being made, this denial of the relativist's basic premise must be demonstrated.

In this case, the logical construction you give an example of, whilst admittedly true, needn't imply that relations between all pairs of propositions bear the same truth value regardless of other propositions' truth values.
If we want a vaguely situation-dependant notion of a DVD's cheapness, there are numerous possibilities which, whilst perhaps not being economically or metaphysically watertight, will still be logically permissible.

Let B stand for 'is a copy of Big Windup!', P for 'sells at a price of $n' (where n is a bound to a certain value), J and A for 'is a Japanese customer' and 'is an American customer' respectively, and the relation C(p,q) for 'p is cheap to q'. Then let us state the following:

[1] (∀x)(∀y)((Bx ∧ Px ∧ Jy) → C(x,y))
[2] (∀x)(∀y)((Bx ∧ Px ∧ Ay) → ¬C(x,y))

Notice that [2] violates your condition, for it posits that the implication between Px and C(x,y) fails to hold in a certain circumstance, unlike the implication between a and b you give as an example. Nonetheless, [1] and [2] seem logically consistent premises, provided that Ay and Jy don't coincide.
I don't assert that they are true however, for the relation C(p,q) needs to account for more than just the relation between a single person and a DVD in order to produce a truly elucidating and justifiable theorem.

You mention that ikillchicken's supposed cultural relativism has some merit, but indeed you may still wish to disagree with such a view on normative grounds: perhaps you insist that anime ought to be considered cheap by but a single standard. I disagree, but as both you and I have shown, each of our stances can be logically accepted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:00 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

luffypirate85 wrote:
babynaruto1 wrote:
I will watch it RAW if I ever learn Japanese, but I'll never watch it subbed.

^ Cheap.

Try BUYING a show for once. Leechers do the industry no good.

Call me a stickler for basic reasoning but why on earth would you assume he's an evil leech? If he refuses to watch subtitles then it's pretty likely he does buy DVDs or at least watch through some legal means (as he has since confirmed). He certainly wouldn't watch fansubs. That much is apparent. I suppose it's possible that he pirates R1 DVDs but being as he's said absolutely nothing to indicate this, maybe you can just chill instead of leaping to baseless conclusions.

Far from baseless. He/she has admitted to being a manga cow in one thread, and pretty much spit in the face of R1 DVD collectors in another. If a GN less than $10 is too expensive for someone, than I highly doubt they would purchase a $70+ anime series (as he/she has since confirmed). Sorry about the job situation. Good to know that they rent though.

I'm ONLY a manga cow because I can't afford to buy manga (no job) and I can't check out manga from my public library anymore because of a massive fee I have with them.

Once that is all taken care of, I will try my best to get all of my manga from my public library, though my library doesn't always have everything, and also usually takes awhile to get in the latest volumes/manga.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:35 pm Reply with quote
babynaruto1 wrote:

I'm ONLY a manga cow because I can't afford to buy manga (no job) and I can't check out manga from my public library anymore because of a massive fee I have with them.

Once that is all taken care of, I will try my best to get all of my manga from my public library, though my library doesn't always have everything, and also usually takes awhile to get in the latest volumes/manga.

This is a time of recession. There's prob a lot more manga cows on the forum than people want to know.

Your buying habits are your own business. It's always best to know your own financial limits imo and act accordingly.
dpkworldwide

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:01 pm Reply with quote
What sad, disappointing news! I listened to the podcast then read all the posts here before I decided to speak up myself.

Big Windup is such a great show, and indeed my favorite from the past couple of years. In fact, I now rank it tied for first place among my all time favorites, and I’m sorry that it doesn’t seem to be getting the attention (i.e. sales) that it deserves. I too couldn’t care less about the sport of baseball, but found myself riveted to the show because of the story and characters. I even feel I learned a thing or two about the sport, thanks to the wonderful use of the “inner dialogue” of the players during the games. I had to marathon episode after episode because I was on the edge of my seat wanting to know what would happen next.

One thing I really admire about Funimation is that they license smaller shows like this knowing that they won’t be blockbusters, but that they’re something the fans want to see (unlike another despicable company whose name I cannot utter but which starts with a "V"...). They must have known it wasn’t going to move tens of thousands of units, but they do expect it to cover its own costs and make them some amount of profit. When I attended Adam’s panel at Anime Vegas last Labor Day weekend, I felt a bit uneasy because I sensed that Funimation didn’t exactly know how to place/promote it—but I hoped for the best. Guess my gut feeling was correct...

I applaud the fans here who have supported the show with their hard-earned dollars. To those of you who are “sitting on the fence”, I’d encourage you to buy it now to show your support. Here’s my challenge:

As others have mentioned, there’s a Funimation sale at rightstuf.com until January 18th. You can get both sets for $71.98, or $64.80 if you’re a “Got Anime?” club member—over $50 means free shipping. That translates to $2.77 or $2.49 per episode for a great series that deserves support. As was also mentioned, you can order online and mail them payment if you don’t have a credit card. Funimation (and Right Stuf) will, most importantly, be making money and moving units which is what they need to see.

Is that a lot of money? It is for some, but think about it—many of you spend more per month texting drivel on your cell phones or paying to be able to surf through 300 channels of cable TV without finding anything to watch.

What about me? Along with my already planned order, I will purchase a FOURTH (yes, that’s right) set of Big Windup that I will probably give away (I pre-ordered 2 sets—one for me and one as my “fansub penance” that I gave to a friend, then a third set I gave my baseball-playing nephews for Christmas). Those of you who own it already might have a friend you could give it to as a belated Christmas gift, maybe someone you know who plays baseball, perhaps some squealing fangirl in your anime club—or even buy a copy, donate it to your local library and take the tax writeoff!

Unlike many younger anime fans, I’m an adult with a mortgage, health insurance premiums and a host of other bills. I’ve got to constantly look for work as an independent consultant to make ends meet. But I’m willing to eat smaller homemade lunches at the office and put off buying a couple of books I want for another month or two because supporting the shows I love with my wallet is a more important priority to me.

I’ll get off my soapbox now, but hope I’ve inspired some of you to climb on this bandwagon. Wouldn’t it be great if next month the Sales & Marketing wonks at Funimation could look back at January and see a noticeable spike in sales for Big Windup? I don’t at all think hope is enitrely lost since, as has been mentioned, season 2 hasn’t even been made yet and we wouldn’t see a license until 2011 at the earliest. There’s still tons of time for Funimation to reconsider, but only if they see that season 1 sales are worthwhile. Now’s the time to act if at all possible. We’re all counting on YOU.

To paraphrase an old saying, “‘Everyone’ thought ‘someone’ would buy it when actually ‘no-one’ did”. If you want this show to succeed, you need to step up now instead of shrugging and thinking “someone else will buy it, so it’ll all turn out okay”…

---Doug
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I've personally always been pretty vocal about my love for Oofuri (cosplayed it at FanimeCon last year too) but I'm surprised at how many people have come out to express their disappointment over the no second season announcement. A lot of these people seem to still be on the fence about whether to buy or not, and I do hope that this piece of news doesn't steer anyone away from buying what's already been released.

What FUNimation needs right now is better sales for the series. If they see the numbers rise, they may reconsider and license the second season.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:10 pm Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
I can't shake the feeling that this was posted for just that reason. To get more people to buy the show. Not that I care I still find it interesting, and would love the second season. Maybe I'm wrong here but when's the last time you seen this site post an article that a show isn't coming stateside? But then again I can't remember the last time I heard a U.S. publisher be so candid about licenses as FUNI was on that ANNcast.

ADV stops Sailor Moon

Manga Entertainment Expired Licenses

4Kids Cancels One Piece Production

AN Entertainment Says Good-Bye to Risky Safety

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-08-10/tokyopop's-marmalade-boy-anime-license-expires

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-08-11/marmalade-boy-1-24-st-tail-anime's-licenses-expire

TitleMatch Halts Production of ImaginAsian DVDs

Bandai Entertainment Denies 5 cm per Second License (ADV confirms it no longer holds the rights)

This is not about a distributor's decision not to license a new series, nor does it mean that this title will never come to North America again. This is about the largest North American anime distributor's decision to not continue licensing an existing licensed title.

Last edited by Egan Loo on Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Count

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
This is not about a distributor's decision not to license a new series, nor does it mean that this title will never come to North America again. This is about the largest North American anime distributor's decision to not continue licensing an existing licensed title.
Okay looking at the second season as a continuation of the first season and not a separate product by it's self makes this post more understandable to me. I guess I naturally look at any season of a show as a new product even if a publisher previously brought some of the series over before.

Anyway that was just a feeling I had based on the reaction Justin had to news on the ANNcast before this was posted. He seemed very Sad as was I. And even though the intent of this post was not to move units for FUNI I hope it does.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:

I was surprised you didn't link to an article on Kodocha, being so close to home and was even more surprised to find that there isn't one, unless it was rolled up somewhere in a convention report or something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
tankerboy wrote:
I don't know if this is the place to post this but until the ANNcast I was only vaguely aware of Big Windup! and after reading the synopsis, I gotta say, it still doesn't sound all that interesting. However, I'm a big fan of Cross Game and rank Touch, Bamboo Blade, and Yawara! among my favorites - how does it compare to any of these?.

Like kyokun703 said, Cross Game and Touch are definitely more about the characters first and then the game. Big Windup is definitely more focused on the baseball aspect. It's very analytical and you get a nice sense of the intricacies of the game as well as the characters.

Big Windup is more traditional in the sense of being about the game, BUT does it differently from other traditional series with very human characters rather then the usual "super talented" or "only in a decade" type main character and focus on the strategy and science of the sport rather then crazy techniques or fastballs. It's strangely entrancing, this series. Check out one of the reviews for the series on ANN to get a better idea of what you get from it. Funi has episodes up on Youtube and Hulu too. The dubs are pretty good this time around. Coming from a primarily sub fan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10