• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation: No More Big Windup! Anime to Be Licensed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:45 am Reply with quote
skafreak51 wrote:
It makes me mad, but I can understand why people didn't buy it- 50 dollars plus is outrageous for 13 episodes

As someone who remembers the days of buying singles for $20-$30 a piece, with 3-5 episodes on each disk, comments like this make me feel a little angry.

$50 is CHEAP for 13 episodes. Seriously, guys. We're all so spoiled compared to how we used to be.

Anyone else remember when they sold "Anime: Crack is cheaper" merchandise? Jeez.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:56 am Reply with quote
Anime cry not fair, I liked that series too and was hoping the second season would get licensed. I have vol 2 of the set, I actually got it on Ebay for like $2 Twisted Evil
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:58 am Reply with quote
skafreak51 wrote:
It makes me mad, but I can understand why people didn't buy it- 50 dollars plus is outrageous for 13 episodes.

First of all, if you're paying retail prices, you're doing it wrong. I paid less than $70 for both volumes of Big Windup combined, with free shipping, and it was not on sale. Second of all, anime has never been cheaper in the US. An outrage indeed! The only thing that's outrageous is whining about the "high" prices of anime in the US.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:03 am Reply with quote
Well this just sucks, I enjoyed the English DUB of Season 1.

Now how the hell am I supposed to be able to watch Season 2?

(I REFUSE to watch it subbed or RAW).
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:10 am Reply with quote
With no U.S. manga tie-in, and a sport which has been sullied by the likes of Pete Rose and those steroid users, what did anyone expect?
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:12 am Reply with quote
Welp this sucks. It's really too bad, Big Windup! is a great show.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:18 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
skafreak51 wrote:
It makes me mad, but I can understand why people didn't buy it- 50 dollars plus is outrageous for 13 episodes.

First of all, if you're paying retail prices, you're doing it wrong. I paid less than $70 for both volumes of Big Windup combined, with free shipping, and it was not on sale. Second of all, anime has never been cheaper in the US. An outrage indeed! The only thing that's outrageous is whining about the "high" prices of anime in the US.

Couldn't agree more. The first series I collected was Descendants of Darkness, and I paid $30 for each of the four volumes, or $120 total. That's more than $9 an episode. I can't complain about $70 or even $80 for a complete 22-26 episode series.

This complaining about pricing is getting ridiculous.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:23 am Reply with quote
You know what? FU, anime fandom.

Enjoy your 13-year-olds in bikinis and giant robots shooting each other or whatever it is that *does* sell around here.
keikanna44

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:27 am Reply with quote
I'm so upset, hurt and angry. I loved this series. Both the sub and dub versions. I'm disappointed by the low dvd sales but I kind of expected it. After all the second half of the series was just one long drawn out baseball game. It's like been there done that. It's no wonder sales were not good. I think the second season will be much better. I wish funimation hadn't announced this yet without at least seeing the second season and how it does first. The season hasn't even aired yet! Evil or Very Mad (I hope it becomes really popular and another company licenses it and makes tons of money. Yeah Funimation will feel stupid then.) Twisted Evil

Guess I'll just have to watch it subbed. (crying Crying or Very sad ) You cut me deep Funimation.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:27 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

Enjoy your 13-year-olds in bikinis and giant robots shooting each other or whatever it is that *does* sell around here.

I will. Very much so. Along with anime like Big Windup! Because, you know, I can enjoy lots of different genres, and would rather not pigeonhole myself.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:30 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

Yup, that's essentially what FUNimation is saying here.

Though maybe if there was an anime featuring 13-year-olds in bikinis who pilot giant robots WHILE PLAYING BASEBALL (or ANY sport for that matter) ...

EDIT: Wait, that's already been done (sort of). Basquash, anyone?

Last edited by Jedi General on Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:33 am Reply with quote
$70 for a 26 episodes isn't cool. And yes you can find it cheaper- just wait until the complete set hits.

Why pay that much? Funis shooting themsleves in the foot with the complete boxsets coming out for less than one part. Thats why i didn't buy them although they are on my list. If they release a complete set they'll see more sale numbers. People aren't stupid and they aren't just going to throw away money.

I enjoyed what i saw of the dub on Funi's YT channel. But i'm surprised any of their shows are making it with the way they release titles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tsuzuki Love

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:34 am Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:

Anyone else remember when they sold "Anime: Crack is cheaper" merchandise? Jeez.

I totally remember!!! Wow! And it was so true.

But I digress...

Anyways, if you listen to the podcast it's not necessarily that there's no fanbase for Big Windup, it's just that said fanbase isn't buying the DVDs, claiming that they're waiting for the price to come down. So if enough of these people went out and actually bought the sets maaaaybe the grand folks at Funimation would change their minds... Or maybe the numbers still wouldn't be good enough. But we can't succeed unless we try. So get out there and buy up those DVDs people!
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:35 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Patachu wrote:

Yup, that's essentially what FUNimation is saying here.

Though maybe if there was a baseball anime featuring 13-year-olds in bikinis who pilot giant robots WHILE PLAYING BASEBALL ...

Ahahaha. Very funny... Not. You know, instead of complaining about what you perceive to be selling well for FUNi, you and your friend could not make such inane comments at all. I'm just as disappointed as you are, but I'm not so simple-minded as to bash conjured straw men.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:45 am Reply with quote
babynaruto1 wrote:
Well this just sucks, I enjoyed the English DUB of Season 1.

Now how the hell am I supposed to be able to watch Season 2?

(I REFUSE to watch it subbed or RAW).
you better get used to that, Homeslice.

The Horde of Voltron stike again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10