• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation: No More Big Windup! Anime to Be Licensed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
The Naked Beast wrote:

I have a question for members of ANN. How many of you are baseball fans? I am a huge baseball fan of a Major League League team located in the Northeastern part of the United States. A friend told me that baseball is more enjoyable if you know the rules and have been to a live baseball game. How many of you have ever been to a live baseball game?

In my opinion, I enjoyed the series more because I am a baseball fan. I remember during the big baseball game in the second half of the series, I was yelling at the TV to argue with the umpire. Example: "Are you kidding me?! He was so safe!" I was in the zone just like being at a live baseball game.

Actually I do not enjoy baseball at all (on tv) and really have no interest in it. Or I didn't. I found myself looking up some clips of pitchers after watching Major and seeing a submarine pitcher, which I hadn't seen before.

I have wanted to go see a live baseball game for some time now, but that was more for the food than anything else (everyone says baseball hot dogs, fries, and nachos are the best). But now that I've been watching all this baseball anime (Major, Big Windup, Cross Game, Taishou Yakyuu Musume, Princess Nine), which has sort of piqued my interest, maybe I can actually watch the game itself with some enjoyment.

So this actually worked the reverse for me. The anime made me interested in the sport.

I watch normal MLB games on TV. I'm not an complete expert on baseball, I'm more of a casual baseball fan. Both The Bigwindup and Taishou Yakyuu Musume were very enjoyable to me.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:46 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
Actually, if you're going to throw around the term "logical fallacy," I would like to point out that "relativist fallacy" or "subjectivist fallacy" is a recognized fallacy, but what I'm doing isn't. Logic is a system that relies on applying the same rules across all situations: consistency above all. "If a, then b" not "If a, then b, except for in some arbitrary situations where I'll ignore this rule."

Your reasoning is flawed. Call it what you will. Just because anime is much more expensive in Japan, does not mean a person should consider all prices here to be cheap. If you try to make such an argument you are employing logic that is fallacious.

einhorn303 wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
Eventually the movie will probably hit the $5 bin. It's a matter ofd appealing to different fans. The "must haves" ones are likely amongst those who buy it pretty close to the initial release (& impulse-good sale+spare cash). The $5 eventual price is for the ones who wouldn't pay $20, but see it in the $5 bin & pick it up because it was a pretty good movie, worth $5.

I hope you realize that the $5 bargain bin price offers basically no profit margin to the original publisher. It's just done to empty out inventory.

Yeah...except the anime industry is not a charity and it's unreasonable to expect people to treat it as such. Certainly matters become skewed if one chooses to see a show illegally instead, but if we are talking about someone who is still watching a show through legal means, even if they do bargain buy, then other fans have absolutely no right to judge. I'm going to make the purchase decisions I make based on value versus price. If I buy a series out of the bargain bin it's because I don't value it enough to pay normal prices and I don't value seeing it sooner high enough to make up for the added cost. If this doesn't work for the company they either need to stop dropping their prices so soon and extend the wait time or release a product that I value enough that I'm unwilling to accept the existing wait time.

The Naked Beast wrote:
Currently (until Monday, January 18, 2010), RightStuf has a Funimation sale where enter a coupon code and it takes 40% off the retail prices of all DVDs, Blu-ray, and merchandise from FUNimation. (This includes items that are in-stock, pre-order and on-order!) [Taken from RightStuf's web site]

I picked up both DVD sets from separate Funimation sales. I am also a member of RightStuf's discount program (which is worth every penny). After all discounts has been applied, I purchased each set for $32.40. It is a lot but another way to look at it is that I basically paid about $2.50 per episode. It seems like a fair deal. What do you think?

I don't think it's entirely fair though to act as if this is the norm. Rightstuf has some nice sales that can help fans save. That's assuming fans are able to shop there though. You need a credit card which many younger fans may not have. Also, if you are on a tighter budget, and can't always qualify for free shipping there may be added costs. Even if you shop exclusively there though they only have sales from a given publisher a couple times a year. It takes a great deal of patience and effort to get these bargains. I think it's great if fans are willing to do so if it helps make anime more affordable to them. However, it doesn't entirely dismiss concerns over some more costly releases.
sdhd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote
skafreak51 wrote:
It makes me mad, but I can understand why people didn't buy it- 50 dollars plus is outrageous for 13 episodes.

I remember getting 26 episodes of Detective Conan for less than 40 bucks.

It wasn't the cost. I didn't buy the anime because I didn't like the anime. If it was "Major" I would buy it in a heartbeat regardless of price because I love the anime. Major was the anime that introduced MBL to me. Before Major I didn't care or like baseball. I feel there are a lot of good sports anime that would sell if it was on Nickelodeon where the viewers are children and teenagers. If it was done well I strongly believe it would be a seller.

Last edited by sdhd on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
GW-9800

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
You know what? FU, anime fandom.

Enjoy your 13-year-olds in bikinis and giant robots shooting each other or whatever it is that *does* sell around here.

Giant Robot shows sell in the US? News to me.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I have a question for members of ANN. How many of you are baseball fans?

I find baseball to be boring since I'm a full contact sport type of guy. I find baseball anime to be boring as well unless their name is Cross Game. I can't get past episode 17 of Major, so it's no wonder I never bought Big Windup!

I wonder why FUNI decided to announce this. I would have liked to know if series like Heat Guy J and that godawful Gungrave sold better than this.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:17 pm Reply with quote
ANN > Internet > ANN

For realz, lol.

GW-9800 wrote:
Patachu wrote:
You know what? FU, anime fandom.

Enjoy your 13-year-olds in bikinis and giant robots shooting each other or whatever it is that *does* sell around here.

Giant Robot shows sell in the US? News to me.

Transformers G1 did, moved 100k units in like a month but it's the exception.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Can I just ask why the answer to a question on Twitter is being hailed as set-in-stone, permanent reality? Can I also ask why this is news? And finally, can I ask why this is all regarding a season that no one has seen any of it yet?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:38 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

luffypirate85 wrote:
babynaruto1 wrote:
I will watch it RAW if I ever learn Japanese, but I'll never watch it subbed.

^ Cheap.

Try BUYING a show for once. Leechers do the industry no good.

Call me a stickler for basic reasoning but why on earth would you assume he's an evil leech? If he refuses to watch subtitles then it's pretty likely he does buy DVDs or at least watch through some legal means (as he has since confirmed). He certainly wouldn't watch fansubs. That much is apparent. I suppose it's possible that he pirates R1 DVDs but being as he's said absolutely nothing to indicate this, maybe you can just chill instead of leaping to baseless conclusions.

Far from baseless. He/she has admitted to being a manga cow in one thread, and pretty much spit in the face of R1 DVD collectors in another. If a GN less than $10 is too expensive for someone, than I highly doubt they would purchase a $70+ anime series (as he/she has since confirmed). Sorry about the job situation. Good to know that they rent though.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Can I just ask why the answer to a question on Twitter is being hailed as set-in-stone, permanent reality? Can I also ask why this is news? And finally, can I ask why this is all regarding a season that no one has seen any of it yet?

No offense pal but you sound like you might not be great at running a news organization if you honestly can't see why this would be considered newsworthy
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't "Slam Dunk" stuffed as well for basically the same reason? Didn't "Princess Nine" strike out too, Even with a dub? It just proves once again that if one forgets what lessons teach one, one must learn them all over again.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:
Quote:
The trick is to find the animes that invovle sports, but instead have other aspects that appeal to the larger audience. Bamboo Blade has the pretty girls, One Outs has the gambling and pshychological wrafare, Shion no Ou has the murder mystery, Ring ni Kakero 1 has the crazy shonen action that only a Shonen Jump title can bring, Cross Game has the love story, and I do think that Prince of Tennis could have been a moderate success, but Viz did mess with the release and that turned people away... I know it did for me.

Interesting point. Suzuka kinda comes to mind. Having never those shows though, I'm guessing they had more emphasis on sports then Suzuka had though. It was mostly a romance title. But it did have some track and field in it.

Well, the titles I listed are ones that have sports in them, but the sports aren't really the focused on in super detail, except for One Outs, but that's because it uses the rules of baseball in devious and manipulative ways, and hence needs to go into great detail. Like I said, Shion no Ou is more of a murder mystery anime with shogi mainly being what links the characters together, Cross Game is more of a love story about people who love baseball rather than a baseball anime (probably like Suzuka), and from what I can tell most people feel that Bamboo Blade uses kendo mainly as the method of keeping the girls together rather than being a focus.

As for Ring ni Kakero 1 and Prince of Tennis, they do go into detail about certain aspects of their sports, boxing and tennis respectively, but they handle it in the same way Dragon Ball Z, Bleach, Naruto, etc. handle it, as in it just explains why [insert attack/skill/ability here] works in the match and if it's effective or not... Not so much as to educate the viewer, though some sort of education is a side-effect more often than not.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Wasn't "Slam Dunk" stuffed as well for basically the same reason?

Well, Slam Dunk never really had a fair shot, since Toei's DVDs were just horridly done and no one wants to really support poorly-done DVDs, regardless of actual show quality. Illumitoon was another example, as I would have easily bought B't X and AMDriver, but their DVDs were so poorly done that no one wanted to even consider them, and AMDriver didn't even get a chance to sell. Granted, Illumitoon finally got it right on their last DVD, B't X Volume 2, but it was way too late by then.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Wasn't "Slam Dunk" stuffed as well for basically the same reason?

Well, Slam Dunk never really had a fair shot, since Toei's DVDs were just horridly done and no one wants to really support poorly-done DVDs, regardless of actual show quality. Illumitoon was another example, as I would have easily bought B't X and AMDriver, but their DVDs were so poorly done that no one wanted to even consider them, and AMDriver didn't even get a chance to sell. Granted, Illumitoon finally got it right on their last DVD, B't X Volume 2, but it was way too late by then.

And Buzzer Beater never had a chance on DVD either.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
And Buzzer Beater never had a chance on DVD either.

Well, Buzzer Beater is only available streamed, so I can't really say whether or not it had a chance.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Splitter wrote:

No offense pal but you sound like you might not be great at running a news organization if you honestly can't see why this would be considered newsworthy

Zac, I know you've been around the block. You've seen series no one thought would ever be licensed get licensed, you've seen trends change... what makes you so confident you can post FUNi saying "We're not going to get Big Windup! S2" as news, or do you post every scrap of material that comes down the pipe that resembles new- *looks at the front page* Oh nevermind.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10