• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Okamikakushi - Masque of the Wolf (TV)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zgripţuroicǎ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:55 am Reply with quote

Okamikakushi - Masque of the Wolf (TV)

Genres: horror, magic, mystery
Themes: folklore, occult, school, wolves

Plot Summary: Kzumi Hiroshi moves with his crippled sister and his father to the remote city of Jouga, which is famous for its hassaku citrus and the rumors that a species of enormous wolves once lived in the area. While some of the residents are more than friendly, when people begin to vanish suddenly, it becomes apparent that something sinister is afoot...
----------------------------------

So, episode one has aired, what are people's thoughts on this one? I was really looking forward to this as I read about it a couple weeks ago, but it's not exactly grabbing me by the throat here. I'm still hoping it entertains me as much as other stuff Ryukishi07 has proved stories for. Of course, I felt like this was just a brief intro to something more, but still...

spoiler[A new transfer student moves into a remote village, and the village has some sort of ancient secret that they'll kill to prevent from getting out. And the transfer student just seems set to stumble right upon it] I feel a sense of déjà vu pretty strongly right now. I'm still hoping it'll manage to set itself apart and be as awesome as I think it could be. I'm just hoping the creators didn't just rehash past successes with it. If they're going to do a Higurashi again, call it that, but I'd be a little annoyed if they do that and try to sell it as a new series.

I'm particularly hoping the story goes somewhere interesting, because none of the characters are really doing anything for me. They all strike me as kind of generic archetypes I've seen in other material based on a Ryukishi07 game. It's only the first episode of course, so there's still plenty of time for it to do something that really gets me interested.

Still, what did everyone else think of episode one?
Eivion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:35 am Reply with quote
Not bad, but I'm not particularly impressed with anything yet either for similar reasons you mentioned though I'm not quite getting the same Higurashi feel your getting.
Skylark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:10 am Reply with quote
I think the alternative title should be "Hidden wolf" and not "Hidden God" on the encyclopedia page?

Anyways I wasn't too impressed, it felt like a bastard child of the excellent Higurashi and the weak 11eyes (just finished airing). In fact it felt so much like 11eyes that I don't know if I can be bothered even watching the next episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:43 am Reply with quote
I liked it. Yes, the parallels to Higurashi are unmistakable, but that's not a problem for me because I loved Higurashi. I wonder if Hidden God will offer some jaw-dropping moments like that series did? I like Cold, Scary Girl ("You irritate me. Your existence irritates me.") and Wheelchair Girl (when I saw her wheeling herself in her big hat all alone I thought, "How moe!" in an approving way). I'm in to the end, I can tell.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:57 am Reply with quote
In my mind this is Higurashi 2.0

Don't get me wrong, I loved Higurashi but the plot and the characters are just screaming Higurashi with Peach-Pit designs.

Any way I enjoyed episode 1, this show seems like it's going to get more and more mystery elements down the road.

Last edited by ninjapet on Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:09 am Reply with quote
I found myself asking, what in the world is going on, I have seen anime leads are surprisingly popular, but man, what the.

I haven't seen Higurashi so I don't know about simularities, but I did watch 11eyes, and if it goes down a simular road, I probably won't be interested.

I don't really understand the point of what was shown at the begining, spoiler[showing us that the girl was a freak or something will only prevent further the audince conecting with her. In fact a simular character ruined my experience in 11eyes, I guess I just don't like sweet on the outside and bloody on the inside.]

Well I might like to see how thing go in terms of the mystery, maybe it will be interesting, at least there was no unneccesary fanservice. Though at times I thought lucky guy and I would take his place, but then thought that is probably not a good idea.
Skylark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:25 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I haven't seen Higurashi so I don't know about simularities, but I did watch 11eyes, and if it goes down a simular road, I probably won't be interested.

spoiler[In fact a simular character ruined my experience in 11eyes, I guess I just don't like sweet on the outside and bloody on the inside.]

That's my point, really. Not to get off track but that blonde girl looks, sounds, acts and smells like Yuka so much it makes me nauseous. I hated Yuka, and I hope the blonde gets killed real early.

Did anyone notice that, like Higurashi, spoiler[at the very beginning of the episode we see a flash-forward of how the arc is going to end?]. I dunno, the similarities are too garish for me; I'll watch it for a bit and hope it picks up but the characters have me lacking interest, _especially_ after 11eyes (if you've seen it you know what I mean).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:38 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I found myself asking, what in the world is going on, I have seen anime leads are surprisingly popular, but man, what the.

What the? There are 2 girls after the boy and you already think it's too many?

So far this is my favorite this season, no more, no less. Though I have yet to watch Durarara. No, I didn't see Higurashi either, so I couldn't care less about it, but I did feel some spicy and wolf there, perhaps because of the setup. Though, of course, even Spice and Wolf wasn't 100% original.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
What the? There are 2 girls after the boy and you already think it's too many?

The entire class were crawling all over him, for some reason it was reminding me of a hentai I read once, especialy with what the teacher said. Though it is usualy a female character, but I should probably keep my mind out of the gutter. But I wonder if he is going to be raped?
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:00 pm Reply with quote
And that's when I realize I'm thinking about the wrong show. Well, back to your normal schedule!
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:04 pm Reply with quote
After watching Umineko the past two seasons, I'm hoping Ookami Kakushi doesn't end up failing.

I already had rage to one anime studio I don't want to do the same with this show. Confused

Any way, I like the characters. They give off a more Rozen Maiden design then some of the other works by Peach-Pit.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

I think it was pretty clear from the episode that there was something fishy about his "popularity." I don't believe we the audience are supposed to take it at face value. spoiler[It seemed like that one guy was trying to warn him about something and paid the price for it. You don't think he actually "moved" away, do you? Wink]
LKK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
Any way, I like the characters. They give off a more Rozen Maiden design then some of the other works by Peach-Pit.

Rozen Maiden? I think the character designs look more like the ones from Shugo Chara than from Rozen Maiden. The lead male is a dead ringer for Shugo Chara's Kairi Sanjo, spoiler[the boy with the samurai guardian].
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I haven't really looked at Shugo Chara so I thought it looked more like Rozen Maiden, but it's all on how you look at it though.

Any way, does any one know anything about the VN the anime is based off of?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
spoiler[It seemed like that one guy was trying to warn him about something and paid the price for it. You don't think he actually "moved" away, do you? Wink]
And here I was thinking "Yaoi rape", especialy with the smile, that or vampires, I guess I will just settle with Yaoi rapeing vampires.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8