• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Death Note Stirs Controversy in China

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:07 pm Reply with quote
cubs2084 wrote:

Clearly you aren't a Simpsons fan.
Clearly.
Bell02

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I may sound like a kid for saying this but that' pretty cool and pretty funny.

Though I do believe it is overreacting, unless ouji boards and letters to santa claus are banned also...
Seir

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Bell02 wrote:

Though I do believe it is overreacting, unless ouji boards and letters to santa claus are banned also...

Except ouija boards actually work...

Wink
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I can just visualise truck loads of Red Guards rumbling into the town and attacking every book shop, or market stall confiscating any book, or drawing that remotely looks like Japanese in nature, and hauling away all and any persons involved with said shops, or stalls while some Red Guard indoctrination officer preaches about the evil decadence of being brainwashed by foreign propaganda, on a bullhorn. Wink
Bulghod

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Seir wrote:
Bell02 wrote:

Except ouija boards actually work...

Wink

And Santa has in fact been banned and arrested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
midori kou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I think blaming just the manga is a lame excuse. People have different mindsets; you can't control them as a collective. If they are writing "death notes" to specific people, then there are some social issues that must be address. Getting rid of the manga just delays it, but sooner or later, it will catch up and cause a huge fiasco. Banning Death Note is a cowardly action.
azzmoneky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I agree with what they did by banning death notes. Its very inapropriate thing to be writing about people.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:45 pm Reply with quote
azzmoneky wrote:
I agree with what they did by banning death notes. Its very inapropriate thing to be writing about people.

I realize in China they don't exactly have freedom of speech, but they're teenagers. Teenagers angst, and they often write about wishing someone would just die. It's not different to make a little "death note", and hey, if the people do suddenly start dying on his list, well, that'll be a nice bit of evidence against him.
Djablesse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I think the school district placed the ban with good intentions. Kids writing " death notes," is pretty morbid, even if it is a successful manga. We might not all agree with the way they chose to handle the problem, but I choose to think that they truly had the children's best interests at heart.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bulghod

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:00 pm Reply with quote
i understand they're intentions and all, but banning it would only promote the idea to those students who were interested in offing those teachers to begin with. it's a bad method to use, but again, thinking about it doesn't hurt anyone. i'm thinking that the cause of death is probably something not too violent, like heart attack ot piano crush or something like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Even American schools disallow death threats and it's no surprise that a Chinese school district does the same thing. I don't think any educator (or any human being for that matter) feels safe if their students wants them dead.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Apparently, there's a bunch always a of idiotic kids that ruin it for everyone. So if the kids can't use the material responsibly, than that's thier lost. Just being a teenage isn't an excuse to act like stupid fuckers.

But I do see most people here are trying to defend Death note's ban just because they're manga/anime fans. Just like videogame fans trying to defend videogame violence. And of course, there's way too much kids on this board too.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:11 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
But I do see most people here are trying to defend Death note's ban just because they're manga/anime fans. Just like videogame fans trying to defend videogame violence.

I just want to point out that, though many gamers may be retarded idiots/idiot-fanboys who can't make coherant sentences on the internet, the majority of gamers are good people, as evidenced by the success of such charities as Child's Play (at Penny Arcade). It's just a few people with mental problems who shouldn't have been playing video games in the first place if they're that unstable that ruin the image for the rest of us. And let's face it: every group of people has a few idiots who really shouldn't be there. Writing these Death Notes is similar in nature to playing violent video games: it may by violent and morbid, but in the end, it's just all make-believe. (At least, it is until one person takes it too far, in which case they should not have been involved to begin with...)
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:31 pm Reply with quote
It seems like they're making a bit too much of a big deal out of this, unless there's evidence of someone actually being hurt, which wasn't mentioned in the article.

The only thing I worry about this is the safety of those kids. Not from the notes, but what would happen in the Chinese government banned it, and they resisted?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
But I do see most people here are trying to defend Death note's ban just because they're manga/anime fans. Just like videogame fans trying to defend videogame violence.

I just want to point out that, though many gamers may be retarded idiots/idiot-fanboys who can't make coherant sentences on the internet, the majority of gamers are good people, as evidenced by the success of such charities as Child's Play (at Penny Arcade). It's just a few people with mental problems who shouldn't have been playing video games in the first place if they're that unstable that ruin the image for the rest of us. And let's face it: every group of people has a few idiots who really shouldn't be there. Writing these Death Notes is similar in nature to playing violent video games: it may by violent and morbid, but in the end, it's just all make-believe. (At least, it is until one person takes it too far, in which case they should not have been involved to begin with...)

I'm sure there is. I'm just saying that everytime the news of videogame violence comes up,, every magazine will defend to no end. The opinion express is very bias. I do agree that game violence don't cause everyone to go out and kill people, but it does bring upon aggression. And sometimes aggression can lead to violence if the person is not mentally responsible.

On the other hand, writing death note seem like a stupid idiotic idea. Even if it's done in a manga and that it looks cool, you think that these kids have better things to do. And just makes me fear that one day someone plays GTA and go out and run over a bunch of people because they're mentally unstable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3