• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids CEO Takes Pay Cut, Execs' Pay Tied to Ownership

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:53 am Reply with quote
Only $300/700K!

Oh christ, how do they live? [/joke]

KanjiiZ wrote:
To the guys above me: what a-holes. You guys know that these are real people in danger of losing their jobs, correct? You're going to think they deserve it? IT'S REAL PEOPLE.

Well, it comes with Cravats, that statement.

Example, I don't think anyone felt any great sadness over people in Bandai Visual USA's staff getting punted into the poorhouse. Maybe for the "Grunt" level people who, for sure, didn't have much choice in the madness, but the heads of that company, yeah, they deserve to wear barrels for the rest of their days.
The Risky Penguin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:11 am Reply with quote
Well at lest they are not out of the game yet. However it's still disappointing seeing another entertainment company going down hill. Even if they hacked up most of their shows, they still bought anime to TV which puts anime in good business and a wider audience.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RebirthedDuelist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:33 am Reply with quote
Hmmm at least this shows that 4Kids only has a heart for their employees.

But it's both good and bad.

Bad since people are probaly gonna lose their jobs soon.

Good since no moar crappy shows and anime, not to mention this is the things you get for not stopping and listenning to the viewers.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:04 pm Reply with quote
E-Master wrote:
kefkaownsall wrote:
I'm happy that they won't be doing anymore anime but I am glad they got rid of TMNT before they started to epic fail.

Same here, I was glad they did concluded the TMNT series. I was a big fan of it, and I think the TV movie was the perfect way to conclude it instead of trying to make another season.

With that series being done, I find 4kids to be meaningless without a good line up of TV series.

Turtles Forever was single-handily the best thing EVER. It was beyond nostalgia for me to see the '87 toon characters again, it was cool to get back into the 2003 universe, and it was pure awesome to see the Mirage comic versions of the characters finally see the light of day in animated form too.

What I've never understood is why 4Kids was able to make their toon of the Turtles so dark compared to the edits they do to anime. Perfect example. Anyone remember the episode 'Insane in the Membrane'? spoiler[Baxter Stockamn regenerates his body but it fails and he starts to fall apart, literally melting skin and such. He NAILS his freaking arm back on more or less, then proceeds to go crazy as he has memories of his mother who believed in him so deeply.] They can do that but not show guns pointed at heads (One Piece)? I'm stumped. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
To those saying that 4Kids failed to listen to their audiences: You do realize the company was founded and based around CHILDREN'S PROGRAMMING? Hence the name, 4KIDS.

They never had any aspirations of appealing to hardcore anime fans. They went after the larger, and more profitable childrens market. That actually makes a lot of business sense, and they've had several successes at it. Do you think Yugioh! or Pokemon would have ever been as popular if they had not commercialized them and placed them on childrens TV, including the edits that would have required? Probably not, and in the case of Yugioh, almost certainly not.

They only attempted uncut releases of shows like Yugioh after many requests from older fans. Unfortunately, those releases failed. So it seems their plans to focus on childrens entertainment may have been for the best.

I don't like how they handle their releases either, but it did fit with the audience they were aiming for. Like it or not, we were not the target audience of 4Kids releases.

And that pay level may seem high, but it's pretty level with CEO pay at other companies 4Kids size. But considering their financial problems, I think it should probably be a bit lower.
potassium

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Prede wrote:
Still at least the man is cutting his salary, instead of laying off people.

Yeah, say what you will about the man's other business practices or the company itself, but you really do gotta respect him for that at least.

Instead of laying off more people, you mean.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
While I'm not a big fan of what 4Kids does to a lot of their anime, I am a bit sad for them. They were the ones that got me and my school buddies into Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!.

I never like to see any company go down under like this. It's just sad. That would leave the people with the 4Kids stock at a loss of money and the employees without a job. Plus anime VA has gone WAY down in NY, and if 4Kids goes, the remaining VA will have to join the other former NY VAs and move cross country to find work elsewhere (like Megan Hollinshead), or quit the business (like Eric Stuart).
darkrunner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quote
The article says the company's for sale, not going out of business. Hopefully they could retain the lower employees and just get rid of Kahn and the other upper-level executives. The company does deserve credit for opening the market to anime, however Americanized it may have been, but I'll never respect them for making such blatantly obvious edits, as though the audience is too stupid to notice.
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Listen gaiz... yes it's "real people" but a market economy does NOT CARE about individuals losing jobs and such. It's a sad reality, but as a consumer my priority is the product I am paying for.

As another example, an animal-rights activist will not pay a single dollar to dying fast food chain (McD's is a bad example, picture a generic one in competition), even for a Coke. Does that activist think about the fact that the company is going under and that his actions would, coupled with that of hundreds who may share his fews cause loss of employment? On a humanitarian level, sure, but his stance will not change.

That is a drastic example, because I don't believe 4Kids has done anything "bad" on an ethical sense (except for censorship, something I am extremely opposed to) but their business decisions do not coincide with mine, or largely most of the anime community's, wishes. However, as an earlier poster stated, they were definitely targeted "4Kids", but they made decisions that even "kids" could notice...friends of mine oft recall One Piece from their teenage years, where they could definitely discern something out of place with the way they handled that, and other licenses. When I heard Butterfly and saw the original dub of Digimon, for the first time years after watching it as a youngster, I could never support them as a consumer again.

It is also naive for people to "wish a company well" if you won't support it. Yeah, unfortunately the anime industry is dying. I'm professionally fluent in Japanese by now, and am actively looking for a job, even considering forming a startup. My expertise is Marketing, but I am well versed in business and have studied the anime industry specifically, extensively, and would be a great addition to any team...but thanks to the economy, no one is hiring. Honestly if there were more skilled, passionate people like me in the anime industry, we could make great things happen. Too bad the world doesn't function on talent alone. But it's the companies a consumer cares about that they will "wish well". Strictly speaking, whatever empathy you have for a 4Kids employee should have no effect on your stance... are you going to support their products out of pity that their employees keep their jobs? Would you do that for another company in a different service or good that you don't support? (ie Wal-Mart, KFC, Tobacco, Alcohol, whatever you're opposed to)

Hopefully whoever takes the reins or whatever happens to them, steers them in the RIGHT direction. For example, I'd LOVE to see unbotched Saturday morning cartoons be ANIME again, not horribly drawn low budget Nickelodeon cartoons, and for kids growing up now to get into Anime as well Smile
Ice8859

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:07 am Reply with quote
Wait IF they are going to sale the Company, What's going to happen to Yu-Gi-Oh!, GX, and 5D's? Will we still have the same voice actors?

And will we still have a Distributor in place for Yu-Gi-Oh and Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's for future DVD purposes?
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
They never had any aspirations of appealing to hardcore anime fans. They went after the larger, and more profitable childrens market. That actually makes a lot of business sense, and they've had several successes at it. Do you think Yugioh! or Pokemon would have ever been as popular if they had not commercialized them and placed them on childrens TV, including the edits that would have required? Probably not, and in the case of Yugioh, almost certainly not.
The licenses they chose weren't exactly U.S. kid friendly. Pokemon was fine, it was mindless babysitter programing anyway. They will never live down releasing One Piece the way they did. Doesn't matter if it was 4kids who did, or didn't have anything to do with editing. The fact is their name was on the product and it was insulting.

Now what if they had picked up a license like Naruto? There would probably be nerd hell on earth.

I'm a collector, so when 4kids got a hold of something like Shaman King and didn't release a copy for the known collectors out there, figuratively 4kids became the enemy.

Ice8859 wrote:
And will we still have a Distributor in place for Yu-Gi-Oh and Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's for future DVD purposes?
Maybe the tyrants at Funimation can swoop up all of YuGiOh.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Has Kahn always been the CEO of 4Kids? Honestly, at this point I'm surprised he's still working in that capacity for the company.

They made a few bad decisions, like focusing too much on shows that weren't bringing in a lot of cash in hopes that things would get better (Chaotic, and TMNT), as well as ignoring their small surprise hits like Dinosaur King until the series lost relevance. I'd also say it probably wasn't the best long term decision to drop the Fox block, because even as a complete repeat block, it's more viewers to their properties, on more venues.

Obviously the company is desperate at this point, Kahn taking a pay cut, them selling off TMNT, them selling back the Fox block, etc. They got to hope Chaotic picks up more, because while the merch is doing good, it could be doing better, and from what I know, the show is not doing all that well.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:35 am Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
"Kahn will make US$765,000 in 2010."

Oh geez, if that's how much Kahn makes after a PAY CUT, who knows how much Fukunaga from FUNi must be pulling down. Shocked

I think it might not be much longer before there is no 4Kids if things don't turn around for them.

I know. though most people would be glad about it. and though i had taken my shots at them too,at least they did pokemon and yugioh,GX & 5D's right in my book. Also liked Kamen rider too.

and they are doing test subbs for yugioh which shocked some people to the core so it might be possible it could be salvaged if the right people aquire it and do a massive reform.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2