• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tokyo Majin DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:38 am Reply with quote
Wow, from what little I've seen of this series, this review seems wildly accurate and appropriate. And only reinforces the notion that I need to let go of my nice artbox and two single discs and buy the complete collection. Poor little artbox, so empty and unloved. You will be missed.

But again, great review.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:02 am Reply with quote
Man... you really know there's an unwanted title, when it's corresponding review doesn't get any forum posts!

D+ for story, huh? This is just me, but it seems that this one, Druaga, and Shonen Omnoji are in the same concepts of story.

Liked the part of Vic Mignogna though. He's always fun to listen to!

I love the dub!
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:42 am Reply with quote
Tokyo Majin seems like a guilty pleasure show to me. From what I read in the review it doesn't have much as far as redeeming qualities that would make it memorable or even good, yet I seem to be I seem to have an unexplainable ration for wanting to watch this show. It looks like I am giving this show a rent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
geishageek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
While I was not a huge fan of the story, I was intrigued by the character designs and the color palate used. The bright colors really brought a deep contrast to the dark and gruesome nature of the show.

I was one of the unlucky people to buy the first 3 individual dvds of the series, only to be shafted when the box sets came out and they only included episode 14 on the first box set, so I couldn't just buy the 2nd set to finish up the series. I have yet to double dip on this title but this complete series just might be a winner for me. I am a completest and I hate having any series unfinished.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There is potential for growth in the main cast, but for the most part they remain “the shy bishi,” “the bad boy,” “the sweet girl,” “the tomboy,” and “the softhearted bigun.” Not to mention their shadowy sixth member: “Mr. Exposition.”

I consider things like that to be harem in that the fit certain character archtypes & the writers never bother to flesh them out (sort of the same problem is with Rental Magica). I've been eyeing this for a couple yrs since I saw an ep at Comic-con, but have been waiting for a good price.
Considering the description, it sounds like this is not unlike our cheap horror flicks where they really don't have to flesh the characters out because they're bound for a body bag anyway.
Anime & manga, on the other hand, seem to be falling into the same shorthand ttrap for different reasons (tight budget? No time to wast worrying about character development-just go with the archtype?) On one hand, it seems a certain segment of the otaku audience demands these types fit certain molds & riot (threaten mangakas) when the author diverges, but can't one sat the same about most forms of entertainment anymore? Generic characters in generic stories.
At least they worked on one aspect (the violence). Maybe they figured it works for zombie movies (zombies really don't have much motivation beyond eating people), why not here?
But the review only reinforces my plan to wait for a single cheap box of this on sale
Beryl7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I actually rather like this show. A lot, actually. Despite its disappointments, it certainly has its redeeming qualities, or at least I think so. I've been planning on getting the complete collection for some time now. And yes, I also enjoy the dub.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(Have you ever seen a series where a human hornet's nest goes around tearing off people's arms while insects crawl out of her skin and burrow into theirs?)
Can't say I have, but Texhnolyze does come pretty close.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
(Have you ever seen a series where a human hornet's nest goes around tearing off people's arms while insects crawl out of her skin and burrow into theirs?)

Ironic you say that. It's weird that both things can happen in different demographics the way they do.

Although when I saw Tex, I felt a bit betrayed in the end... Not about the writing, THAT was GREAT writing!!!
It was about, how I finally realized that they were trying to symbolize humanity. And in that sense, the end result felt a bit disappointing...

Man... the only other show where gore/sex was used that graphically to symbolize human nature was Elfen Lied.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:16 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:

HA! You're right, that is preeetty close. Not at all the same tone, though. Tokyo Majin's series of attacks from hive-girl are grotesquely fun to watch, while the incident in Texhnolyze was just like "Ew. No, okay, I'm gonna try to watch this, OH EW, no I can't." Anime dazed
Ian K

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:10 am Reply with quote
I remember when I first encountered Tokyo Majin.

The first episode was wild and crazy, and made no sense. It had super-powered teenagers fighting zombies and GIANT PURPLE EYE SPIDERS and havoc was generally being wreaked and I loved it.

And as a result, I stuck around for another four episodes of boring introductions, boring backstory, and boring doomed gay love.

Still, I may have to give it another shot, to see if it ever goes back to shark-jumping, butt-kicking action of the first episode. I hope so.

Quote:
Man... the only other show where gore/sex was used that graphically to symbolize human nature was Elfen Lied.

I think you're forgetting the other work by Texhnolyze's director, Shigurui. It's worth a watch if you can stomach it. I'm glad I watched it, although I don't think I'll ever do so again (even if the takedown at the end of the final boss battle was gruesomely awesome).

JO:
Great review, certainly up to your usual standards.

Hmm, I seem more effusive when talking about myself or criticizing others than when I complement people.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:36 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:

Wasn't there a beehive guy in the GetBackers manga? I didn't much care for the character...might have been wasps...
Under the skin--we all saw that with the scarabs in The Mummy. And the Naruto guy has bugs in him, right?
It's old as time. Look at the urban legends one hears of bugs paying eggs in people
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Ian K wrote:
I remember when I first encountered Tokyo Majin.

The first episode was wild and crazy, and made no sense. It had super-powered teenagers fighting zombies and GIANT PURPLE EYE SPIDERS and havoc was generally being wreaked and I loved it.

And as a result, I stuck around for another four episodes of boring introductions, boring backstory, and boring doomed gay love.

Still, I may have to give it another shot, to see if it ever goes back to shark-jumping, butt-kicking action of the first episode. I hope so.

Quote:

I think you're forgetting the other work by Texhnolyze's director, Shigurui. It's worth a watch if you can stomach it. I'm glad I watched it, although I don't think I'll ever do so again (even if the takedown at the end of the final boss battle was gruesomely awesome).

JO:
Great review, certainly up to your usual standards.

Hmm, I seem more effusive when talking about myself or criticizing others than when I complement people.

There was boring doomed gay love in Tokyo Majin? It must have been so boring that I missed it. Confused Though I did buy this series based on the first episode, I ended up fairly disappointed in the way the story meandered. The art and character designs were nice though, and it didn't really have any overly pandering fanservice, so I still consider it a worthwhile purchase.

I agree with Ian K. Good review here. Your reviews present the pros and cons of a title in a very informational, entertaining and even-handed way. Keep writing them. I'll keep reading them. Cool
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote
This review rang pretty true to me. I remember watching season one via fansubs shortly after they first aired and while it seemed entertaining at the time, now I barely remember what happened in it. In one ear (eye?) and out the other. I don't even remember it being that gory, and I don't especially like gore. It just didn't leave a lasting impression of any sort on me. I never even bothered to seek out season 2 because I knew while I didn't feel I'd totally wasted my time, I also knew I didn't really care what happened next.

I'm with tuxedocat-- I don't remember any real BL subtext unless maybe you mean the quiet boy & the loudmouth (the 2 main guy characters)? You'd think I would remember...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LKK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Ian K said he only watched about 5 episodes before dropping Tokyo Majin. That means he didn't stay around long enough to see that all the relationships (explicit or implied) were het. He likely based his conclusion on the early becoming friends scenes between the class deliquent and the transfer student without sticking around long enough to see the later relationships develop.

My reaction to Tokyo Majin was different from the consensus. My intellect kept telling me that the show was formulaic and nothing special. Average at best. Yet, I couldn't deny that something -- mulitple somethings, in fact -- clicked with me. I really enjoyed the series. So much so, that I hope to own it one day, and might rent again before then. I guess you could say that I count Tokyo Majin as one of my guilty pleasures.
Ian K

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There was boring doomed gay love in Tokyo Majin? It must have been so boring that I missed it. Confused

Quote:
Ian K said he only watched about 5 episodes before dropping Tokyo Majin. That means he didn't stay around long enough to see that all the relationships (explicit or implied) were het. He likely based his conclusion on the early becoming friends scenes between the class deliquent and the transfer student without sticking around long enough to see the later relationships develop.

In episodes 4 and 5, the antagonist was emo rocker whose super power had something to do with crows. He became a bad guy do to a dispute with a former band mate. Anyways, in the end spoiler[he dies in the arms of his friend, saying something about how he 'just wanted them to be able to play music together' or something]. It all came across as being designed to excite slash fanfic writers.

Then again, it was a few years ago that I saw this, and apparently I'm the only one who caught the subtext, so if I'm mis-remembering something please let me know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2