• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: One Piece GN 63-65

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote
OOH~! someone reviewd some one piece manga volumes! Though I'm sure people are gonna bitch about the fact its Fishman Island's volumes...oh well.

I haven't gotten a chance to get the volumes yet (I'm primarily focused on getting the new world volumes in order as they come out) but remembering from what I've read of the chaptes; the biggest thing this arc has going for it is the history of the fishmen and the level of trust or distrust towards humans. I know everyone and their grandmother despise the arc with a passion but this (and getting a chance to see Brook shine) was the thing that kept me from hating everything. Its all very good material thats nicely placed in; however even I have to spout out the arc's biggest weakness:

Hodi f***ing Jones. I seriously hate this little s***, not only for what he represents but for doing it in the most weak ass fashion I've ever seen and having to rely on pills all the damn time! If it weren't for the fact that the strawhats were showing off their new abilities I probably would have hated the action because it feels like the SH's could kick their arses BEFORE the timeskip... I suppose having to deal with this prick every week really wore me down than if I marathoned through this arc and got to end my day with this guy spoiler[ rotting/aging away in the prison cell]

I personally don't have too many other issues; but I'm just POSTIVE someone will bring something up...
maliw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Art: A?

Pff, what a [expletive] joke. Guess you're an optard.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Art-wise one of the most credulity-straining issues is Nami's new pants, which she has presumably glued on

Heh, I'm not surprised that this came up, but really, if you've been following the series from the get go is this any surprise? Nami is pretty much the fanservice for the series. Check out her breasts from when she first appeared until now. She's definitely a growing girl. Hey, let's face it, the general demographic for One Piece is typically the 13-18 year old crowd. Sure, it has a lot of older fans too since it's been running since 1997, but that's the general demographic of Shonen Jump. And what do 13-18 year olds love? Big boobs and tight pants. So, Oda knows what his readers tend to want, and he gives it to them!
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
maliw wrote:

Well, this discussion didn't take long to get into name calling.

This arc felt like the main purpose was to give us a taste of what the future fights would be like (especially Brook's) and to relax the reader after the shitstorm of the war arc. There's nothing wrong with that if marathoning, but reading it week to week was not ideal. It did accomplish one of my favorite things about One Piece though. No character is gone forever. They always come back and have another part to play.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
No character is gone forever. They always come back and have another part to play.

I suspect that spoiler[Ace and Whitebeard] are pretty much gone forever Wink
sainta

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
maliw wrote:

Well, this discussion didn't take long to get into name calling.

This arc felt like the main purpose was to give us a taste of what the future fights would be like (especially Brook's) and to relax the reader after the shitstorm of the war arc. There's nothing wrong with that if marathoning, but reading it week to week was not ideal. It did accomplish one of my favorite things about One Piece though. No character is gone forever. They always come back and have another part to play.

Well, maliw has been calling out names in every article he commented. I'm surprised that ANN hasn't banned him.

Quote:
I suspect that spoiler[Ace and Whitebeard] are pretty much gone forever

That's what flashbacks are for.
kanechin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
"While Zolo's new skills are pretty much where we'd expect them to be"

yu...you called him Zo*o, argh....arrgghhhh!!! I kick a ya as.....nah, it's alright, I was ok with 4kids OP until Funi took over but other fanboys may attack.

I feel that Oda should had left Chopper's ability spoiler[to control his monster point] for a later arc in the new world unless he's got a superior form.

Last edited by kanechin on Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:

Well, maliw has been calling out names in every article he commented. I'm surprised that ANN hasn't banned him.

Took care of that!
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Having read those volumes I pretty much enjoyed them. Only issue I have is the next won't come until March.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
So, Oda knows what his readers tend to want, and he gives it to them!

True. Very Happy I like her new look, but when Oda's not paying attention, those pants can really get close to the danger zone!

kanechin wrote:
yu...you called him Zo*o, argh....arrgghhhh!!! I kick a ya as.....nah, it's alright, I was ok with 4kids OP until Funi took over but other fanboys may attack.

It pained me to write it. I argued with myself for long minutes, but finally decided that if that's how Viz was going to spell it, that's how I was going to write it in a professional capacity. But he'll always be Zoro to me!!
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Personally I'd give the art a "B". I think One Piece's art style is great.
I don't have so much a problem with how everything is actually
drawn but rather as it has been said the panels are just way too
crowded and it's hard to actually enjoy the art work and story.

Yet at the same time I hate Fishman Island with a passion
so I don't exactly wish to "take the scenic tour". so in that regard
the crowded panels are welcome because the sooner the arc
ended the better. Too bad it couldn't end soon enough.

Ironically I thought Vander Decken was one of the few GOOD things
about the arc along with Fisher Tiger and Arlong.

Everything else is trash as far as I'm concerned.
Especially Jinbei. Has he died yet? I hope he does.

Am I hater? Well if I am I wasn't before. I once thought One Piece was the greatest. But well the time skip killed it for me. Sad
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
mrsticky005 wrote:

Am I hater? Well if I am I wasn't before. I once thought One Piece was the greatest. But well the time skip killed it for me. Sad

well, its only one arc. I can't exactly speak for it being absolutly perfect because it isn't but its not like the arc dominated the story.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:08 am Reply with quote
Yay! A One Piece review! Regarding everything mentioned in the review, I thought it was spot on. One of the greater aspects of the Fishman Island arc was the history of the island (and the Sun Pirates). It really brings a thorough explanation on Arlong's hatred of humans. While in contrast, Hordy Jones is the most shallow villain I've seen in One Piece.

spoiler[ Hordy's dependency on the Energy Steroids make him physically weaker than Luffy. The only reason Hordy even stood a chance against him was because of the overdose and Noah's impending crash course to Fishman Island thanks to Vander Decken's Devil Fruit ability. His motivation is pretty weak as well, albeit a bit terrifying. He admits that he has no reason to hate humans. He just wants to harbor the curse of hatred for humans the Fishmen had for a while.] While in retrospect, that is what makes him an interesting, but still rather shallow villain. He's literally the classic villain/psychopath.

While the arc felt much like a break from the madness that was the Paramount War, much like what Thriller Bark was to the events of Enies Lobby, it's still solid entertainment. The conclusion to the arc is even more entertaining and just makes me looks forward to seeing Shanks and the other Emperors in the New World.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
SereneChaos wrote:
No character is gone forever. They always come back and have another part to play.

I suspect that spoiler[Ace and Whitebeard] are pretty much gone forever Wink

I'm sure they'll be back someday. Either in flashbacks or chapter covers, I'm sure we'll see them again. Wink
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
mrsticky005 wrote:

well, its only one arc. I can't exactly speak for it being absolutly perfect because it isn't but its not like the arc dominated the story.

The arc is six volumes long. No it doesn't "dominate" the story but I don't like the direction it's taking it. Sure there will be better arcs
but I no longer find them worth waiting for. And Fishman Island
is hardly the only arc I dislike. Skypeia and Thriller Bark aren't particular my favorites either. Fishman Island is just the straw that broke the camel's back for me. It represents all that is wrong
with One Piece. You say One Arc but I say it's one arc that summarizes what One Piece has become and I don't like it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3