Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Librarians Honor Children of the Sea, Ōoku, Pluto




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 12558

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Surprised about Ooku. Isn't that graphic? I've only seen the "M" label, so...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Mistypearl



Joined: 03 Oct 2008
Posts: 517

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
These lists are presented annually at the ALA's Midwinter Meeting. Each book is recommended for ages 12-18 and meet the criteria of being "both good quality literature and appealing reading for teens."


I understand how Higurashi is appealing to teens, but I'm suprised they consider all that blood and core good quality literature. Not that I'm complaining, I just find it suprising.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Niomo



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 513

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Higu? Must have been Mion's cat Punishment Game bikini Anime hyper

Although, if you look past the blood and gore, the plot is extremely well done.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
dangerwhat



Joined: 22 Jul 2007
Posts: 181
Location: Central Florida

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Seems like they have good taste
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
johnmora



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Posts: 61

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:50 am Reply with quote
However many people are reading/aware of Pluto, it's not enough.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gilles Poitras



Joined: 05 Apr 2008
Posts: 365
Location: Oakland California

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:05 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Surprised about Ooku. Isn't that graphic? I've only seen the "M" label, so...


While Ooku is actually aimed at an older audience it works for older teens. Librarians are always looking for items to encourage younger readers to read beyond their present level.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
vashfanatic



Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 3316
Location: Back stateside

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:45 am Reply with quote
Gilles Poitras wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Surprised about Ooku. Isn't that graphic? I've only seen the "M" label, so...


While Ooku is actually aimed at an older audience it works for older teens. Librarians are always looking for items to encourage younger readers to read beyond their present level.


Well, they'll need all the reading skills they have to understand the garbled pathetically pseudo-Shakespearean translation that Viz gave to Ooku. That thing deserves no awards.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85



Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Posts: 1642

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quote
Mistypearl wrote:
Quote:
These lists are presented annually at the ALA's Midwinter Meeting. Each book is recommended for ages 12-18 and meet the criteria of being "both good quality literature and appealing reading for teens."


I understand how Higurashi is appealing to teens, but I'm suprised they consider all that blood and core good quality literature. Not that I'm complaining, I just find it suprising.


It does do the building of suspense and dread quite well (though better in the anime though IMHO, with the music and voice-acting) which can be considered a feature of quality literature (I mean, I consider Poe and Lovecraft quality literature as well). The story only starts getting deeper once the answer arcs begin (though the story does get more complex with each question arc as well), especially with the "Atonement" chapter, so I wasn't expecting to see it mentioned this early into the volume releases, but it's not surprising.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Daimao Raki



Joined: 03 Jul 2008
Posts: 587
Location: Dark Side of the Moon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:34 am Reply with quote
Nice to see Ooku make the list.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
yblees



Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Posts: 165
Location: New Zealand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:43 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Well, they'll need all the reading skills they have to understand the garbled pathetically pseudo-Shakespearean translation that Viz gave to Ooku. That thing deserves no awards.


I thought it was beautifully translated. It's certainly not garbled. The pseudo Shakespearean, as you call it, successfully conveyed the lovely archaic atmosphere of the story - without becoming obscure or unintelligable.
You sure it's not just reading beyond your present level? Razz

EDIT: Hmm. I feel Yotsuba& should be included. Surely teens would enjoy it too. And, am surprised about the inclusion of DMP's Train*Train in the list....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group