• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Adds Gintama, Hidamari Sketch x 365 Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote
sdhd wrote:
"Update 2: Section23 Films' Chris Oarr notes that Sentai Filmworks licensed the first two seasons of Gintama, with an option on the rest. The DVD release will be English-subtitled."

I would buy both the first and second season in a heart beat. Section23 please release them on the same date. It would be so awesome.

So when we say season, what do they mean? Thirteen episodes, 26, 52? The characters in the show seem to only make the distinction by the year.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Presenting Gintama, the unwatchable because the subs are pants official Frisbee set!

Seriously, ADV, please 'effing die already.

ADV IS dead.
This is Sentai

Quote:
Man, you kids these days... when I was young we ate ground glass for every meal and were lucky if we got tuberculosis for Christmas. We walked 8 miles up a hill every day and what did we get for our birthday? Somebody killed our favourite house pet in front of us.

You forgot we had to milk the cow for our milk so we could have healthy bones, go out in the fields & pick the food to be cooked into dinner. Someone had to go up on the roof & monkey with the antenna so we could get reception on the 3 networks on air & each channel probably had to point in a different direction...

Gatsu-yeah, $200 was too much for FY which is why I held out until they put out that Signature line & bought it as singles for less. Unfortunatley I was left hanging on the El Hazard OVA-one or 2 eps shy so the only option is to buy the set when I have 3/4ths of the eps from the signature line or do without.

Quote:
most of the anime sentai licensed i never heard of and wont be susprised it getting sub only and wont give a crap otherwise ,but a long series (over 200 eps) and a shouen jump series like gintama getting that treatment is like sending the series into a suicide run. would have been better if viz media got the license.

I hope you mean this license round, because if you're saying you have never heard of Fist of the North Star, You're Under Arrest, Mahoromatic, or He is My Master, that's nothing to be proud of. You need to read up a bit more on your hobby. Even though I have no interest in He is My Master, I've at least heard of it, To Love-Ru, hell, I've heard of every name listed in the encyclopedia under their entry even if I may have no idea what each title is about. One sees them listed in news items, etc. on this site.
magicalgirlj

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:44 pm Reply with quote
sdhd wrote:
"Update 2: Section23 Films' Chris Oarr notes that Sentai Filmworks licensed the first two seasons of Gintama, with an option on the rest. The DVD release will be English-subtitled."

I would buy both the first and second season in a heart beat. Section23 please release them on the same date. It would be so awesome.

Thanks for the confirmation, should preorder soon, nice to see know how many seasons were licensed, lets hope it sells well for more
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Gintamaaaa!!! So happy to see it released in R1, so sad that it has a pigs-flying-in-Hell chance of ever being dubbed Sad Hope it has lots of extras, and I want to see the Italian dubbed version with subs now more than ever. One of the fun things about watching anime on DVD is listening to different audio tracks and comparing the voice performances.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:44 am Reply with quote
It's great seeing the very funny Gintama licensed along with the touching and emotional Asatte no Houkou, guaranteed buys from me.

I am wondering why Sentai dubbed a random live action Japanese film (although it was a 'Ghost Stories' kinda dub script) but don't announce at least one new anime dub project... Confused I just miss all the old ADV actors.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:52 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Presenting Gintama, the unwatchable because the subs are pants official Frisbee set!

ADV IS dead.
This is Sentai
Same asshats, different hat. My statement stands. Stop existing, Zombie ADV.
happymoose

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:33 am Reply with quote
snip

Last edited by happymoose on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
magicalgirlj

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:36 pm Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
It's great seeing the very funny Gintama licensed along with the touching and emotional Asatte no Houkou, guaranteed buys from me.

I am wondering why Sentai dubbed a random live action Japanese film (although it was a 'Ghost Stories' kinda dub script) but don't announce at least one new anime dub project... Confused I just miss all the old ADV actors.

same I wanted to hear these VA's in Gintama
Kagura- Luci Christian
Shinpachi- Greg Aires
Okita- Chriss Patton
Hijikata- Vic Mongawa (typo)
but I am still gratefull to get this show on R1 DVD, wven with no dub
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
jsieczka wrote:

How do you have Skull Man on the shelves already, its street date is 2/2?

Best Buy tends to get things early. I remember I got the first Ergo Porxy boxset like 2-3 weeks before it's "street date".

Most R1 anime companies do not require retailers to sign contracts forcing retailers to honor street dates. It is simply too much hassle to track the sales and see if someone has violated them. It's the same reason that Right Stuf and Anime Corner are allowed to ship product out early for most companies.

The only exception to this is Viz, which is distributed by Warner. Since Warner now handles it, they require all their street dates to be honored, which includes Viz product.

Should we have held the product back? Yes, but honestly, no one notices or cares when street dates on anime are broken, unless it's something like a Studio Ghibli title. Besides selling it all now insures that we will get replenished before the actual street date.
Skyhawk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Most R1 anime companies do not require retailers to sign contracts forcing retailers to honor street dates. It is simply too much hassle to track the sales and see if someone has violated them.

I know this for a fact. I went to SakuraCon in 2009 and while there one booth was selling a new Funimation title (can't remember which one, I bought so many there) so I went to the Funimation booth to get it there as they had the best prices at the convention. They said it wasn't out for two weeks. When I told them that a booth across the convention hall had it for sale they took it out and released it on the spot. Good for me as I bought the first half of the series earlier that day and now I had the second half and at a good price.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, technically we are suppose to honor the street dates on all product, and at least at my store we usually do. But in the case of anime, there are no penalties if you don't. While if you violate the street date on a Warner product, you cannot only get fined but not be allowed to cary their product, or be forced to release it AFTER the actual street date.

Most DVD and Bluray new releases come in boxes that are repeatedly marked with street date, as to help prevent copies going out early. But anime releases generally do not, and often come in with replenishment product that is already out. A lot of employees at Best Buy and FYE won't check the dates on these, or just don't care. So they will sneak out pretty easily.

Plus, Skull Man had an awesome cover. I didn't want to hide it in our warehouse. But I have to say I was surprised by how many Best Buys are carrying it. They must have slightly higher expectations for it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:13 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

Was that even English? What the hell did that even mean?
Allow me to translate.

" Dear Sentai (formally known as ADV): In my opinion Gintama is not a very good title, therefore I will not be purchasing it should it ever get a UK licence. Please try to do better in future, as I know you can. Kind Regards Conan-san. "

I hope this is useful.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
So was that legitimate UK slang?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Indeed it was. Our friend Conan-san appears to show some dissatisfaction towards the subtitling present within the title in question.

Regardless of the legitimacy of such a complaint, I remain indifferent on the matter of Gintama. Issues of subject matter aside, I find myself repelled from shows featuring very high episode counts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Indeed it was. Our friend Conan-san appears to show some dissatisfaction towards the subtitling present within the title in question.

Regardless of the legitimacy of such a complaint, I remain indifferent on the matter of Gintama. Issues of subject matter aside, I find myself repelled from shows featuring very high episode counts.

That's pretty interesting, considering neither he nor any of us have seen the subs that will be present on the DVD. I think he needs to get over the Clannad sets, as Sentai no longer hire JN to do their subs after those.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 16